Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 05:40 PM

12 posts, read 24,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by neecewh View Post
I am definitely one of those people. I LOVE IT! If someone were to offer me a million dollars to move back to MD I would tell them to keep it, I ain't moving.

I tried to stop myself from responding to this, but come on. Are you kidding me? You better hope that life always treats you kind or that statement may come back and bite ya in the you know what!
Lol you dont have to ingore it at all, it's a open forum. I watch people all day that CAN go to work at any job(mcd's, walmart, i dont care start on the bottom and work your way up) but choose not to because they make enough on welfare. I'll never accept that as long as i can get out of bed and move, i will have a job.

But good to know you love where you are though. It's good to hear some positive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2010, 06:11 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,775,681 times
Of course what makes one person happy may not make another happy. If you aren't coming from a city area then Conway might be something you would like. My husband loves it and I know many other people that do. I'm more of a "city person" so that's probably why it's not my cup of tea.

Maybe you can come here and stay w/ your gf sister a while to see for yourself what would be best?

Quote:
Originally Posted by duesmandella View Post
I was just thinking conway mainly because of the gf's sister living and going to school there. If there are other area's close and less crime and crack I would deffinately consider those. I'm not coming from a big city, thats why I kinda liked the look of conway for the most part. But if I have to spend money to stay in a better place I'll do it.

You guys are almost making me rethink the move.
heres my pro's cons so far
pro's-
weather all year around, no f'n snow unless its a dusting.
low low taxes
beach-ocean right in reach
good restaurants and shopping everywhere

cons-
crime seems to be the same because people are scumbags everywhere(can't hide from that I guess)
schooling, which I kinda new, thats all we hear about up north is how bad the schooling is down south
new area so i dont know everyone like i do now. which sketches me out a little.
hurricanes lol

Old 06-09-2010, 07:04 PM

1,019 posts, read 2,892,621 times
Quote:
Lol you dont have to ingore it at all, it's a open forum. I watch people all day that CAN go to work at any job(mcd's, walmart, i dont care start on the bottom and work your way up) but choose not to because they make enough on welfare. I'll never accept that as long as i can get out of bed and move, i will have a job.

But good to know you love where you are though. It's good to hear some positive.
I am not trying to start a debate (Ok, you are fairly new here and might believe that ) but I feel like you welcomed my rebuttal. Are there people like you describe? Yes, absolutely. I just don't think we should throw the baby away with the bath water. There are ways to stop the cycle of poverty and ending social programs is not one of them. Horry county has an extremely high unemployment rate. We also have some of the lowest wages in the nation. You would need to explain to me how, if you were a resident of this community, you could avoid paying for that in some way. Do you want to live in an impoverished area? Do you want to live in an area with high crime rates? Because that is what happens when the problems are swept under the rug and people act like it doesn't affect them. That way of thinking has always been like a riddle wrapped in an enigma to me and I have yet to figure it out. In order to produce different results we must invest. If you keep 1000 dollars under your mattress it will ALWAYS just be 1000 dollars.... ok I said my peace

All politics aside, I do love this place. The property taxes, you mentioned in your original post, are much lower than us northerns have ever seen. The weather is wonderful. The people are like non I have ever met before (I mean that in a good way). The beach is beautiful. As Rapture said, it may not be for everyone, but I give it a big thumbs up.

Old 06-09-2010, 08:30 PM

I'm not from a big city at all, so conway deff sounded nice, and I'm guessing their crime numbers might be inflated for the same reason MB's is. After more researching I'm really like surfside and murrles inlet. I'll be back down in september so i'll take a couple days looking at houses in all the places and doing drive buys in the neighborhoods to see what looks good.

Old 06-09-2010, 08:35 PM

540 posts, read 1,678,852 times
If my better half didn't make the salary he does based on his NORTHERN pay, there's no way we could survive here. I went from a $25/hr job to a $10.50 one doing the same thing down here. Yes, there may be no taxes, but food, etc. costs the same, and in some instances, more. Well, except shrimp. I can feed my shrimp desire any time at a lesser price. Yum (can you tell I went to Independant Seafood today?!)

Old 06-09-2010, 08:46 PM

540 posts, read 1,678,852 times
Quote:
I'm not from a big city at all, so conway deff sounded nice, and I'm guessing their crime numbers might be inflated for the same reason MB's is. After more researching I'm really like surfside and murrles inlet. I'll be back down in september so i'll take a couple days looking at houses in all the places and doing drive buys in the neighborhoods to see what looks good.
No, Conway's numbers are accurate. They don't have the same amt of transient people like MB has. The MB crime stats are based on visitors and locals alike. Conway's problems are from Conway.

We went thru that way today, matter of fact, on our way home from Charleston. I LOVE downtown Conway...but you can keep the rest. On the very very very outskirts of Conway, I think it's East Conway (?) on 701, they seem to be building some pretty decent houses. It's in a more rural type atmosphere...meaning it's open, airy, and far from shopping.

When people are looking to move, what are the priorities? Do you look for low crime areas? Good schooling? No taxes? Just wondering what motivates people to pick up and change their lives

I left NY to be closer to family. I had looked into the St. James School district, and that was my first and only choice since it was closest to my parents at the time. No crime to speak of where I moved from OR where I moved to...but when we got here and my son was so much more advanced in math that they asked him to TEACH THE CLASS...it made me ponder what was going on here.

I guess I'm so fed up w/the bull that goes on in this area politically, frustrated w/the schooling (only 3 more years to go woohoooooo), and the decay of the area I once loved...

To each his own, I suppose.

Old 06-10-2010, 02:54 AM

Some of the main reasons is the nice weather all year(i'll take a average of 40-50 degrees in the winter compared to hitting negatives all the time. Low taxes. Cheaper gas. Ocean and beach . I'll never find any of these anywheres in ny.
To go from 25/hr to 10.50 makes me think you came from a big city where you had to make 25 an hour to afford anything.
When I was making 40k a year where I'm at right now I was almost considered rich lol. So the move to myrtle beach area should be the same for me down there from the sounds of it

Old 06-10-2010, 11:22 AM

1,174 posts, read 2,532,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave in crete View Post
Well what chance as a "northerner" from the North of England got (arriving from Crete (Greece)) if I can't muscle in on the beauty of South Carolina????

Seriously Linda and I are looking to purchase a property in South Carolina having had enough of paying 1 Euro and 80 cents for a LITRE yes LITRE of petrol (gas)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Looking forward to much friendly banter on this site together with the odd disagreement.
What type of visa will be using to live in the US?

Old 07-02-2010, 06:08 PM

15 posts, read 63,143 times
My husband and I are flying down within the month for a job interview
(mine) at a local hospital in Murrels Inlet. My prospects are good (I am an occupational therapist), but he will be scouting. We are in our late 50s, empty-nesters. He has a lifetime of experience as a mechanic (cranes, aerial lift, scissors lift, welding/fabricating, etc.) and has a good job here. Anyone know of anybody hiring in this field? One option is for him to take an early retirement and collect his pension while working part or full time for less than he earns now in a related field. Thanks, everyone.

Old 07-03-2010, 10:06 AM

1,518 posts, read 6,692,333 times
jem, have your husband check the industrial rental companies, such as Neff Rentals and Sunbelt Rentals. They seem to be hiring fairly often. Of course, maybe the high turnover is due to low pay and crappy benefits, but it's probably worth a look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area