Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 02:13 PM

2,563 posts, read 6,028,827 times

Advertisements

Okay I just got a call about a job offer in Naples, FL. I've never been there.

My main criteria:

1. Are there any hardcore gyms in Naples? I'm not talking about a gym with a spa and smoothie bar attached. I'm looking for something I can lift a few hundred pounds with chalk on my hands and nobody really cares. Preferably with early morning hours so I can train before work.

2. I know boating is big there but what about kiteboarding, windsurfing, kayaking, anything of that nature?

3. What about bike paths?

4. What apartments are affordable on a 30k salary and would hopefully put me in stumbling distance to a few bars / night clubs?

5. Are there any areas to avoid in Naples?

6. Ethnic cuisine? Any Thai, Indian, Greek, Korean, German restaurants?

7. How's the ethnic population as a whole - is it mostly white, white/black, white/hispanic? Is it heavily religious like many other parts of the Florida coast?

I guess I picture Naples being a lot like Port St. Lucie which I don't really care much for. Thanks for answering any questions you're able to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2010, 10:26 PM

146 posts, read 333,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post

My main criteria:

1. Are there any hardcore gyms in Naples? I'm not talking about a gym with a spa and smoothie bar attached. I'm looking for something I can lift a few hundred pounds with chalk on my hands and nobody really cares. Preferably with early morning hours so I can train before work.

Yes. My daughter is a professional athlete and she goes to all of them or has experience with all of them. Hard core would probably be JABZ on Trade Center Way. The owner I think is some kind of pro fighter. Don't know the details.

2. I know boating is big there but what about kiteboarding, windsurfing, kayaking, anything of that nature?

There is not much wind here. No waves except for freak storm...you might be able to windsurf. Plenty of canoeing, kayaking and waterways for that. There is a Florida paddler's assoc. My son does C1 C2 pro racing with them. Thewaves are on the other coast.

Lots of them and bikers.

4. What apartments are affordable on a 30k salary and would hopefully put me in stumbling distance to a few bars / night clubs?

Then you would want to either be close to 5th Ave. South, might be hard to do on that budget..depends on how big an apt you want. You could find a 1/1 in old Naples near 5th for around $800. After that for nightlife, the new big scene is near Mercato up in North Naples and you would have to live near Naples Park or Immokolee Road to stumble or taxi home.

This is strictly personal opinion....I would not live to the south or east of Naples (which is really the same) South Naples is actually the same as east Naples. I would not choose to live in Naples Manor, Twin Lakes, or Golden Gate estates. You can find nice houses in the estates, but there is more crime because the homes are secluded and not gated...so theft happens more there.

Yes...we do have great restaurants. Thai, Indian, Greek....German..questionable. I'm a bit picky about that having lived in Europe many years and spoiled about it. I'm sure they might not compare to a big city, but for the size of the town the food is quite good. We have Whole Foods, Food and Thought...lots of sushi places and small good restaurants.

7. How's the ethnic population as a whole - is it mostly white, white/black, white/hispanic? Is it heavily religious like many other parts of the Florida coast?

It is mostly tidy white bread Republicans. I'm not but I just keep my mouth shut when it comes to doing business because those control the purse strings. If you are so far left that if is a part of your daily life, you might be frustrated. There is a large Latino population as is in all of Florida. Very few blacks. I'm not religious, consider myself Spiritual and in 35 years, it's never been a problem for me.

I guess I picture Naples being a lot like Port St. Lucie which I don't really care much for. Thanks for answering any questions you're able to.
I have not been to Port St Lucie..so can't compare. If you are young, under 30 and seek a huge night life, you might get frustrated. My daughter loves it here and can't leave. My son prefers Orlando.

Old 07-27-2010, 11:25 PM

Cool I can handle small, I've lived in much smaller than Naples and much more conservative too. But its always been a multicultural place. I've spent a lot of time overseas. I'm mostly concerned about the gym and a few nice bars/clubs to go out and meet people once in a while. Gotta make friends.

I'm not big on Blue Martini and restaurant style bars I'd rather a place a little less pretentious. I found Visions Night Club and it looks good and I'm sure there must be a few Oyster Bars that might find people dancing by the time the night is done. Are there any other places like Visions you could suggest?

I see where you said about South 5th Ave and will definitely check it out, hows the Pelican Bay area. It looks closer to the gym you just recommended, close to Visions, and close to the Costco / Whole Foods. Also a little closer to where I'll be working not that its really a big city with lots of traffic to deal with but the closer the better.

They want me to try and come down for a face to face so I might drive down either tomorrow night or Thursday and just want to know as much about the location ahead of time so I can do some observational work as well though I'll probably accept the offer being how times are right now. (Assuming I get the offer, but I think I will)

Old 07-27-2010, 11:29 PM

Oh just realized another very important thing:

I will need a mechanic that knows how to work on European cars, specifically SAAB - does Naples have one?

Old 07-28-2010, 08:32 AM

57 posts, read 110,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post

My main criteria:

1. We have Crossfit , lots of chapters in Naples, and JABZ (where all the real muscle heads go ) We also have lifestyles that doesn't have a spa theres a big one 2 storie and brand new on Airport and Vandi..

2. Yes we have all of those altho kite surfing is best saved for when a a Tropical Storm or Hurricane skirts by, thats when the surfers come out.. We have lots of waterways for kayaking, canoeing etc.. Lots of water here.

3. Yes we have bike baths in the road for the hardcore cycling people TONS of those here and regular sidewalks all over town

4. Umm thats hard to say U can try The Enclave..Pelican Larry's right there on Davis

5. Golden Gate City mostly.. Naples Manor or anything off of Bayshore

6. Yes to all, lots of resturants. Theres a place in Bonita called The Passage to India I hear is wonderful. We have lots of Cuban, Mexican and Chinese and Italian, we Greek, Persian and Vegan resturants..lots to chhose from

7. I'd say mostly White/Hispanic make up the majority.. Um heavily religious I dunno I mean we have churches, the older folks go a lot but I don't see like riots going on in a religious sort of manner no.. I'd say its the same as many other towns

Old 07-28-2010, 09:20 AM

4,781 posts, read 10,531,798 times
To the OP,
Naples has a Saab dlr: DeVoe Cadillac/ DeVoe Saab.
Don't know of a specialized Indy Saab tech...
There are a couple of very good "euro" oriented tech repair
shops, too.

Religion, "which one/any/none", has never been an issue for us, in any situ...
GL, mD

Old 07-28-2010, 12:39 PM

Based on everything you said, I think Naples Park zone is where you would be happy finding a rental. There are a number of bars as you like, the down home kind. There used to be The Metric Wrench...don't know if it exists anymore. But....given the number of specialty car drivers in Naples, I can't imagine it's a problem. good luck

Old 07-28-2010, 01:51 PM

Just thought of something....call Christine 239-682-7000 ask her to show you the condo rental at Emerald Woods she showed Patsy last week. It might be perfect for you. $775

Old 07-28-2010, 03:44 PM

Thanks for all the replies, I've done some more searching on my own as well and I don't think it'll be so bad. The hard part will be meeting some guys to just chill with and grab a beer with once in a while.

Otherwise it sounds pretty cool actually the more I looked at it, the only thing its missing is some nice art museums, independent movie theater, and at a glance I'm not seeing any comic book stores listed. And of course pro sports might be nice as well. But hey if I land the job first thing I'm doing is buying tickets to the NBA All-Star Game if its not sold out.

Hopefully I'll get the offer and be done. I hope I do its a great job for me that I've got a lot of experience and am very good at.

Old 07-28-2010, 08:05 PM

Is there anything in my price range around The Pelican Bay / Venetian Bay / Pine Ridge area someone might suggest?

And are there any dance clubs down in Old Naples or are they all up in the Northern areas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples