Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 08:07 PM

59 posts, read 218,157 times

Advertisements

What are the positives and negatives of having a cage over a pool in the Naples area? I see so many pools with cages in this area. Is it necessary to have one or is it just personal preference and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2010, 08:14 PM

165 posts, read 588,555 times
I'm not in Naples, but I do have a pool with no cage. I would prefer to have a cage but my swimming season is not as long as yours so I have never spent the money. We swim alot after work and at night and we have the underwater pool light on. It's a bug magnet!!!!!! I clean the skimmer out everyday and there are tons of bugs that have gotten into the pool. Also other critters get in, snakes, moles, turtles. Most of them end up, belly up. If I had a cage maybe this would not be the case.

Old 08-21-2010, 03:15 PM

4,788 posts, read 10,605,228 times
No expert, and have not surveyed every house in Naples area, but what I do see is:
every home I've been to, with a pool, has a cage. Most every home I've been to
without a pool, has a caged lanai, (as we do). Most club community pools do not,
but most are closed, or rarely used after dark.

I think the cages are used almost ubiquitously for looks, to add "structure effect" to
the home, and as Joy noted, to reduce the influx of critters, esp in summer months.

We get lots of anoles, spiders and a few bugs, even in our caged lanai, during our
winter months there. I guess it would be personal pref., but it also might be a code
or legal issue unless your non-caged pool was fenced, to keep kids and idiots out.
GL, mD

Old 08-21-2010, 08:57 PM

Spoke with a pool install guy and he was leaning more toward a pool without a cage. I see that lots of people have screen cages and rooms even if they don't have a pool. My thought is there must be something to this. Cages are very expensive and a liability when a hurricane comes thru. To take that risk and pay quite a bit for one leads me to believe they must provide a very good benefit.

Old 08-21-2010, 09:01 PM

340 posts, read 1,046,003 times
Cages keep the Hornets, flys, mosquitos, most bugs and birds away from you and your loved ones.

Old 08-30-2010, 06:25 PM

592 posts, read 1,813,782 times
Without a cage you're going to have geckos, frogs, bugs, bugs, and more bugs in your pool--and they'll have easy access to your house, as well! The cage really helps to keep all these things at bay on your lanai and in your pool and away from your indoors, too. We had a house a few years ago where the cage's holes must have been larger than usual or something and we NEVER finished having to skim the gnats, tons of them all the time, off the top. That's a real pest when you have to do it daily in the AM and then again when you want to take a swim in the afternoon--and they still won't all be gone. Now we must have a "normal" type of screen on our cage in our new home and we never have gnats in our pool. Spiders still somehow thrive in the lanai, however, grrrrrr.

Don't think you're going crazy if you get the cage and occasionally still see a gecko or a small frog inside on your lanai. We've had that happen and did a lot of searching for the "hole" they were coming in through. We never found a hole, but finally realized that once in awhile they come through the openings in the drainage strip they put between your lanai and your house to drain the water that gets on the lanai when it rains so that it doesn't get into your house.

Call me nuts, but even though the gnats don't go in the pool, when we have the lights on in the house at night and the lanai sliders open (something you do here in the winter sometimes) some gnats come to the lamps and then find you and drive you crazy. They love flying around you face and are very hard to squash in the air. Sooooo, we finally got screens for the sliders as well, which equals double screening between the lawn and indoors. Because of the additional screens on our sliders we don't have spiders in the house anymore, either. My neighbor had done the same thing which is where we got the idea.

Old 08-30-2010, 08:01 PM

Thanks for the advise

Old 08-31-2010, 06:48 AM

79 posts, read 289,993 times
If your getting a place that already has a cage,, thats great becuase Hurricane season is here and all cages collapse under hurricane winds if you dont remove most of the screens before the storm.

Old 08-31-2010, 01:32 PM

4,788 posts, read 10,605,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilgrim7578 View Post
If your getting a place that already has a cage,, thats great becuase Hurricane season is here and all cages collapse under hurricane winds if you dont remove most of the screens before the storm.
I disagree: during Wilma, the last real serious hurricane to hit Naples, no house in our golf course development had their cage "collapse".
Some did in the next development over, but we only had two screen panels pierced, as did others, but no cages came down.
Wilma was fall of '05, for those that didn't remember...
GL, mD

Old 08-31-2010, 05:05 PM

79 posts, read 289,993 times
WILMA was a small hurricane...cat 1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples