U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 06-28-2007, 09:28 AM

2 posts, read 50,345 times
Default bad areas in naples as far as crime/drugs...

Hi all! Im a father with 2 kids ,young, moving to naples soon and i was wondering what areas to avoid and if there is a significant drug problem/areas in naples?? i have tried the search function but turned up nothing

thanks all

-john in ohio
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 06-28-2007, 09:54 AM

120 posts, read 509,085 times
Well, I wouldn't say there are any really bad crime/drug ridden areas but here are a few that are considered "less desirable" because of some choice crimes/gang stuff going on.....Naples Manor, Golden Gate City (changes from street to street), Immokalee (mostly migrant workers), there is a part of the City of Naples between Goodlette and 10th St that is some section 8 housing. Naples Park used to be hit and miss with many duplex rentals but it has cleaned up over the last 5 years. I live in North Naples and though it is expensive, it is a nice, safe quality of life for families. Good luck.

Unread 06-28-2007, 09:57 AM

120 posts, read 509,085 times
Default oh yeah.......

I have heard rumor that there are drugs in the middle and high schools here. Rich kids with not alot to do=drugs. Hey, kids will find drugs no matter where they live.

Unread 06-28-2007, 10:01 AM

2 posts, read 50,345 times
ok..
what cities near marco island/naples would you call drug ridden then?

Unread 06-28-2007, 11:11 AM

4,054 posts, read 7,348,026 times
there are drugs everywhere...you can't go by what "areas"....some of your best stuff is done behind closed doors & in the closets from Naples to Anna Maria Island...please......

Unread 06-28-2007, 11:20 AM

220 posts, read 708,984 times
Prescription drug abuse is a huge issue in Naples, especially since many people think there isn't anything wrong with it. Pills taken from cars, parents, desk drawers..... it's epidemic in most of Florida.

Unread 06-28-2007, 12:49 PM

120 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edvard View Post
Prescription drug abuse is a huge issue in Naples, especially since many people think there isn't anything wrong with it. Pills taken from cars, parents, desk drawers..... it's epidemic in most of Florida.
It's epedemic everywhere. Are Florida drugs really that much better? Drugs are everywhere. If people want them, they will find them whether they live in Florida or Alaska.

Unread 06-29-2007, 05:56 AM

172 posts, read 529,651 times
definitly golden gate would be that type of area to avoid.

theres a huge drug problem in naples,dont let the bmws and palm trees fool you,cocaine and prescription pills are no harder to find there than it is in any hood in the big city.

i have many friends who are recent graduates of naples high and its definitely happening, like they said, rich kids with nothing to do, will find something to spend money on...

its pretty low key but its going on.

alot of it stems from sheer boredom, theres really nothing here for young kids to do, so alot of them end up doing drugs

Unread 06-29-2007, 09:37 AM

7 posts, read 52,931 times
I've lived in Naples for over 23 years & i'm only 29. I've seen a lot of changes occure. My 1st ques. is why of all places wud u pick Naples, FL? Regaurdless of how many people move here, unless you have $ to flaunt the rest of us are here to serve. Or cuz' we got stuck from our parents moving here.
Avoid Naples Mannor, a small section in downtown Naples, & the inner most parts of Golden Gate (althought a few parts aren't so bad) Our first home in Naples was in G.G. It was safe enough for my sis & I to walk to our school. About 5 yrs ago I was mugged infront of the doors to 2 gas station store, a block away from our first home.
Your best bet is N Npls or even Golden Gate Estates (it's mostly all houses in the middle of who knows where)

Unread 06-29-2007, 11:09 AM

5 posts, read 32,967 times
Default Naples in transition

Hubby and I moved to Naples in 1993 for his medical practice and felt like Michael J. Fox in "Back to the Future" where he steps into a time warp past a la 1950's. Very little in the way of restaurants (especially after 9 pm) or funky shopping, just a couple of upscale gated communities, and a crazy crew of crackers running the local government.

The good ol' boys sold out to all manner of developers and about a jillion dollars in bribes passed hands to create a city that suffered a cataclysmic level of growth. The ensuing chaos continues. But...

We invested in an equity golf club membership and made double the investment. We bought a fixer-upper little home and again doubled the bucks.

And life became impossible to endure. The whining was unbearable. There was a solid sense of, "Pull up the drawbridge, quick!" from those who had only just arrived themselves. We had to pull out before we lost our minds.

That said, it really is a great place. Nice beaches, shopping, restaurants, and public landscaping that makes parts of Disney look like urban blight.

We were there to see what it was like first so it pretty much spoiled it for us (or were we spoiled? ;-). Eventually, Naples will complete the maturation process to become a real city with great attributes.

They will always be building/repairing/widening roads so traffic will remain a headache far into the future. So keep in mind that any of the cheaper housing built out of the city will have big commuting problems until they get enough arterial flow going.

Which they will NEVER get because the enviros block all development through their beloved wetlands.

Drugs will continue to be a major issue for the aforementioned reasons plus the type of high schools they've put/are putting in. Huge warehouse buildings punched out cookie cutter style make it cheaper but not better. There's poor supervision of kids in groups that large.

Bonita Springs just north of Naples is not a bad area to look for housing as it is an area squeezed between two high growth areas (Naples to the south and Ft. Myers to the north). Land values in this area are steep but will continue to rise as both of its big city neighbors spread towards each other.

This town has a sizeable Hispanic component with poor housing but they're pretty easy to get along with. They will be pushed out, though, because of said squeeze.

The basic fact to understand is the value of land. Farming communities are feeling the pressure of modernization. Less land is needed to produce food and more land is needed for living therefore farm owners are selling level, drained property to developers for much more than they can earn in cultivation.

This process is held up by infrastructure constraints but those problems are resolving as we speak (although it will be slow). As road and water/sewer problems are solved, land development will surge ahead.

Anyone going in now is going to pay higher than we did. But remember that we paid higher than all those who came before. It's important to keep that in mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples