Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 10:05 AM

5 posts, read 37,483 times

Advertisements

Just in case any young families are thinking about relocating to Naples, FL please reconsider. I was lured to Naples from Chicago by the weather and beauty but have come to know the real town in the 4 years that I have lived here. My husband and are are well-to-do with graduate and doctorate degrees so we thought we'd fit into the well-to-do community, however, we have two young daughters. We moved into a gated community with no age qualifications like many who require residents to be 55 years and older. We've had numerous run-ins with our neighbors because our children
-ride tricycles on the sidewalks
-play in our kiddie pool on our patio
-draw in chalk on our driveway
-swim in our neighborhood pool
(Yes, I know....all major offenses!) Today, I had a senior citizen approach my family at the pool and ask me whether my girls were wearing "swim diapers" because she did not want the pool contaminated. The first time a neighbor asked me was bad enough, but by the 20th time, I had had it and had to contact our community board association regarding the harrassment. The few young families in the neighborhood have had even worse experiences and I can honestly say that all of the young families that I have spoken with in my neighborhood are trying to relocate. My husband and I are looking for jobs out of state to escape the reverse age discrimination. Do yourself a favor and vacation in Naples but don't live here if you have kids!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2007, 10:20 AM
SKB

900 posts, read 3,497,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellagabby View Post
Just in case any young families are thinking about relocating to Naples, FL please reconsider. I was lured to Naples from Chicago by the weather and beauty but have come to know the real town in the 4 years that I have lived here. My husband and are are well-to-do with graduate and doctorate degrees so we thought we'd fit into the well-to-do community, however, we have two young daughters. We moved into a gated community with no age qualifications like many who require residents to be 55 years and older. We've had numerous run-ins with our neighbors because our children
-ride tricycles on the sidewalks
-play in our kiddie pool on our patio
-draw in chalk on our driveway
-swim in our neighborhood pool
(Yes, I know....all major offenses!) Today, I had a senior citizen approach my family at the pool and ask me whether my girls were wearing "swim diapers" because she did not want the pool contaminated. The first time a neighbor asked me was bad enough, but by the 20th time, I had had it and had to contact our community board association regarding the harrassment. The few young families in the neighborhood have had even worse experiences and I can honestly say that all of the young families that I have spoken with in my neighborhood are trying to relocate. My husband and I are looking for jobs out of state to escape the reverse age discrimination. Do yourself a favor and vacation in Naples but don't live here if you have kids!

The nerve of some people, I mean really.

I would be more concerned with their bladder incontinence and besides that, this is what chlorine is for.
It is so obvious that people like this have far to much time on their hands and go out looking for things to complain about.

I wouldn't let these people push me out of my neighborhood you should just fight back.

Old 07-02-2007, 10:37 AM

1,999 posts, read 1,662,239 times
I would already be talking to the board, this is unacceptable. If you are within the guidlines they have no right to hassle you. It is not age discrimination, it is they are forcing their lifestyle on you and the community.

I wouldnt leave Florida, thats what these type of folks want you to do, I would try to get it settled and if it doesnt work out move, but I wouldnt allow someone in Florida to force me out because my kids are drawing on the sidewalk, that wont happen.

I would re read the rules and regs of your community very close and make sure nothing has been missed, then I would go to the board.
Are there other couples with kids in the community?

You know the more I think and type maybe they should be the ones to move to a old folks community, if they do not like kids then they should have read the darn rules and regs too!

Old 07-02-2007, 11:02 AM

672 posts, read 905,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridabound09 View Post
I would already be talking to the board, this is unacceptable. If you are within the guidlines they have no right to hassle you. It is not age discrimination, it is they are forcing their lifestyle on you and the community.

I wouldnt leave Florida, thats what these type of folks want you to do, I would try to get it settled and if it doesnt work out move, but I wouldnt allow someone in Florida to force me out because my kids are drawing on the sidewalk, that wont happen.

I would re read the rules and regs of your community very close and make sure nothing has been missed, then I would go to the board.
Are there other couples with kids in the community?

You know the more I think and type maybe they should be the ones to move to a old folks community, if they do not like kids then they should have read the darn rules and regs too!
I am 58. Thank you for confirming my decision NOT to move into some Senior Community. SHOOT ME if I ever become like these old coots.

Children are our FUTURE. I guess these people have forgotten that?

Old 07-02-2007, 11:55 AM

172 posts, read 856,954 times
absolutely true. naples is where the wealthy come to get away and "relax" meaning,for the most part they dont want to deal with children. they want quiet,peace. they dont want children loitering in pools or hanging out anywhere, playing in their neighberhoods etc.

this entire area was built on attracting wealthy retirees with a place to "escape", so its not very child-friendly.this is ESPECIALLY true in gated communities.

the onlyy areas that ive seen tolerate children pretty well are the neighborhoods right off 41 in north naples.

i agree with you moving away and hopefully ill be joining you when i get out of college. best of luck

Last edited by Chromedome; 07-02-2007 at 12:16 PM..

Old 07-02-2007, 12:59 PM

1,418 posts, read 10,189,908 times
Just don't take any crap from cranky old people! Fortunately I live in Orlando so I don't have to deal with this, but I've visited enough of these south florida old-folks communities to know exactly what its like.

If some old buzzard complained about my kid wearing swim diapers in the public pool, first thing I would do is take them off and let the kid swim in there naked. See how they like that! As far as chalk drawings go on YOUR OWN sidewalk, (as long as it's not a violation of the Deed Restrictions) you aught to join in with them. Try drawing a picture of a cranky old man with his cane swinging from a noose from a big oak tree.

Regarding complaints about tricycles on the sidewalks, just shout over them about how awful it is that they let old deranged buzzards drive cars on the public roads; or golf carts on the roads; or wheelchairs on the sidewalks; or even be seen in public.

Yes, I'm still bitter over my run-ins with mean old buzzards from when I was a kid - didn't like them then; had fun terrorizing them as a teenager; had to live with them for awhile in St. Petersburg; and still don't like them. Sorry if this offends anyone, but since I've had a small child, I've only had two run-ins with old buzzards (one in a public swimming pool; another in a restaurant.) All I can say is that I'm bigger, I'm stronger, I'm louder, and, when it comes to my kid, I'm meaner than a horse-whipped alligator.

Old 07-02-2007, 08:49 PM

1,999 posts, read 1,662,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromedome View Post
absolutely true. naples is where the wealthy come to get away and "relax" meaning,for the most part they dont want to deal with children. they want quiet,peace. they dont want children loitering in pools or hanging out anywhere, playing in their neighberhoods etc.

this entire area was built on attracting wealthy retirees with a place to "escape", so its not very child-friendly.this is ESPECIALLY true in gated communities.

the onlyy areas that ive seen tolerate children pretty well are the neighborhoods right off 41 in north naples.

i agree with you moving away and hopefully ill be joining you when i get out of college. best of luck
Gosh you eating this one up, I can see you chomping on this issue.
Anything to make SW fla look bad you will agree to.

Heck no, she should not move away, like I said maybe the grumpy asses who dont want children playing should.

She owns the property, she pays the bills, the heck with those people.
Why should she change to accomadate them, that is what they want.

She did not say she dislikes Florida at all, fact is she acts like she loves it there, just some rowdy neighbors who hate kids playing is her problem.

Florida is not the issue here Chrome, not at all.

Old 07-03-2007, 08:34 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,726,689 times
Everybody please calm down.
Yac.

Old 04-22-2010, 05:13 PM

43 posts, read 125,390 times
Default seniors rule!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yac View Post
Everybody please calm down.
Yac.
thank you to the administrator who asked people to hush. some of us are just going on 54, have had it with population growth, can't wait to turn 55 and get back to the sanity of having 55-plus communities.

if you don't want to live around old people, why on earth would you have chosen a 55-plus community? duh.

Old 04-23-2010, 02:04 PM

4,788 posts, read 10,607,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmapeel View Post
thank you to the administrator who asked people to hush. some of us are just going on 54, have had it with population growth, can't wait to turn 55 and get back to the sanity of having 55-plus communities.

if you don't want to live around old people, why on earth would you have chosen a 55-plus community? duh.
The OP said she chose a Non-55+ community...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples