Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2010, 10:33 AM

1,369 posts, read 2,273,046 times

Advertisements

Well I thought I could fish here, but after spending most of the day trying to find a place to put a line in the water I had to give up. I got my fishing license, and called a place called the Fish Trap, was told I could fish there, but when I got there it was a different story.

So I asked directions to where I could fish, and was given what turned out to be deliberately wrong directions, and ended up burning a lot of gas getting nowhere I could fish. Perhaps my midwest accent worked against me with the locals there.

So I came home, got online and decided to try the Naples pier, but when I got there I couldn't find anywhere to park anywhere near it. So with my shrimp dying in my bucket I gave up and headed home. Apparently places to fish are rare, or a big secret.

I sure would like to fish here, but unless I can find out where to go I guess I'll have to just give up on that idea. Anyone know of a place?
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2010, 03:28 PM

256 posts, read 745,301 times
Hi Amy

Naples pier is a good place always. You can park closer to 3rd st and walk a couple blocks. They sell bait on the pier as well.

At this time of year, sheephead are around the passes and oyster bars. There's also lots of small redfish. North of Naples on the way to Fort Myers beach are several passes and bridges you can either sit on shore or fish from the bridges. **** with bit of shrimp tipped on them and fished next to the pilings work well. If your shrimp die, it doesn't matter if your *** tipping.

Good luck to you.

Beth

PS If you'd like to try to our best fishing grounds, you'll need a guide. That's called 10,000 islands and it lies between here and the tip of Florida. Let me know if that interests you and I'll recommend someone. I won the Redsnook in 2009 and was top female angler. I do like to fish.

Old 12-24-2010, 05:21 AM

Can you tell me more about 10,000 islands? I would really like to meet someone who knows the area and fishes. I have no idea where to go. I understand also that if you hook a shark from the pier you have to cut your line as it's a big no-no to pull it up, and you can be fined.

Could you explain *** tipping? I'm new to the area, and previously fished only for catfish and bass in Texas and Alabama.

Old 12-24-2010, 07:04 AM

10000 islands is where the everglades meet the sea. It's all in Everglades National Park. You need guide so you don't get lost and they can teach you more about fishing here in a day than you'll learn in a year without.

This time of year, the area is loaded with birds that have migrated in for the Winter. Look on a map for Everglades City and Chokoloskee Island. It's East of Naples on either the trail or I 75 to Hwy 29. Then you turn right

The National Park service runs boat tours all day long. One of their Captains is Captain Dave Prickett. He's a world class fishing guide in 10000 islands. No one knows the area better. Tell him Beth Mone' says hello. We're good friends. Here's his website. Everglades Fishing Charter Everglades Fishing Guide - Chokoloskee, FL

*** tipping. It doesn't matter if your shrimp is alive or dead as long as it's fresh. You just cut a segment off the body and put it on the hook of a ***. Then you cast it and make it rise and fall as you reel in. I like red or white headed ****. I usually run a soft shrimp body on it and then put the shrimp segment on the hook.

Tight Lines

Beth

Old 12-24-2010, 03:25 PM

Well hey Beth, at $400 for a half day I can hardly afford Dave Prickett, and I can't even afford to get down there and get the room. So I have to find a place I can drive to locally and fish. Seems like there should be somewhere I can get a line in the water without having to drive all that way and pay all that much.

Old 12-24-2010, 07:56 PM

23 posts, read 66,822 times
Amy,

A very good place to start would be the Naples Fishing Club. I believe they meet the 3rd Tues. of every month at the VFW @ Collier Blvd. and Pine Ridge Rd. They are a great group of people and they have a system of pairing people without boats with those with boats. They go on a group outing about once a month to different areas around Collier. I was a member for a few years but as happens just got busy with other things. I should probably start going again.
You could also talk to Jason at the Golden Gate Ace Hardware on Collier @ Golden gate Pkwy. He can be a wealth of information, but I'm biased in that regard. He can steer you towards some decent areas to fish from shore too. If that's what you're looking for.
Don't get flustered.
Good luck,
Bill

Old 12-25-2010, 06:14 AM

Maybe this will be of help to you as well LLGF-NAPLES CHAPTER

Amy the reason I suggested a guide is so you could learn where and when to fish down here and the different ways to do it. It's a fast way to learn and have some fun. As a rule of thumb fish the passes and bridges when there's current, use either **** or a big weight and some cut bait (I like ladyfish in 1" chunks) on a circle hook. You can also free line a shrimp.

Good Luck
MERRY CHRISTMAS
Beth

Old 03-27-2013, 11:36 AM

2 posts, read 27,519 times
what the heck is *** or ****? Is that a swear word you guys are using that is being filtered out by the server?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth Mone` View Post
Maybe this will be of help to you as well LLGF-NAPLES CHAPTER

Amy the reason I suggested a guide is so you could learn where and when to fish down here and the different ways to do it. It's a fast way to learn and have some fun. As a rule of thumb fish the passes and bridges when there's current, use either **** or a big weight and some cut bait (I like ladyfish in 1" chunks) on a circle hook. You can also free line a shrimp.

Good Luck
MERRY CHRISTMAS
Beth

Old 03-27-2013, 01:41 PM
B4U

3,612 posts, read 8,290,315 times
OMG, it's so easy to drive over toward Marco, on 951 (I guess that would be heading south). Just after the light for the Marco Airport, Mainsail Dr. there's a bridge alot of folks pull over and fish at. Then there's just after the light (right turn) to go to Isle of Capri, on 951 south, again before Marco, a huge parking lot where folks launch their boats-no fees, you can fish there. And just before or after the Marco Bridge, on either side you can stand and fish.
Also, the back way toward Marco, SR92 is excellent for fishing. Take 41east to SR92 and make a right onto SR92. It's a paved 2 lane rd., very rustic, (you'll even see a couple of eagle's nests) and you just pull over get out your lawn chair and drop your line. SR92 is about a 5 mile stretch of what life used to look like around here back in the "good ol' days". Or, on the same road, just before the "New" Goodland Bridge, you can drive to the left and drop your line. This is also where you'll see some of the 10,000 islands from the top of the bridge.
the video I've attached show the Goodland Bridge: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFwR2yrTuDA

HAPPY FISHING!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples