Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 09:52 AM

2 posts, read 8,316 times

Advertisements

I've seen a great deal of postings regarding the rudeness of the rich, nothing to do etc. I'm planning to move to Florida, really to make my wife happy as her brother lives in Weston. Naples, at first glance appears nice and is only 1 hour away from Weston. I do not like the east coast of FL.
My point is, I live in Raleigh NC now and cannot imagine changing my lifestyle by moving to Naples, except for the beach. How will "rude rich people" affect my day to day living?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2011, 11:27 AM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,025 posts, read 6,517,543 times
I read those posting too. I have owned in N. Naples since last March. I have been here all winter (since November 1st). I have met no one but nice people. Much nicer people than NJ, where I am from. About the same as SC (where I also live part of the year). As far as things to do, there is more here than anywhere else I have lived.

Old 01-28-2011, 02:31 PM

592 posts, read 1,809,002 times
Yes, I doubt you'll even meet a rude rich person, because everyday people lead everyday lives here. As far as WHERE in Naples you live, what community, that could make a difference, I think. In our experience, there are older, but very nice communities and newer, more fancy ones. Personally, we've found that the older ones and moderately priced ones, in general, seem to have more "down to earth" people in them, but of course that's just our perspective. I do think Weston is more than an hour away from Naples, by the way. It's pretty much across Alligator Alley and especially considering what part of Naples you live in I'd think it's going to take you well more than an hour to go door to door to your brother-in-law's place.

Old 01-28-2011, 03:38 PM

46 posts, read 107,773 times
I love Naples. There is something for everyone here from the poorest poor to the richest rich. We all tolerate each other well. There are rude people everywhere including here, but no more so here than in other places.

I find that if I put out a friendly attitude, it is usually returned by others.

Old 01-28-2011, 04:47 PM

76 posts, read 188,031 times
I cannot figure out why people are always talking about rude people here. There are no more rude people here than anywhere else as far as I can tell. In fact, I have been pleasantly surprised at how nice most people are. Especially the "old people" everyone complains about. I have small children and lots of "old people" smile at them and say hello. We have yet to encounter anyone being rude because of the children (they are well behaved, though).

We have been here since last summer and we absolutely love it. We came from Atlanta. So it's funny to see people talk about all the horrible "traffic". "Traffic" basically amounts to other cars on the road. I don't even have to wait through more than one cycle of a light, even on 41.

For us at least, there are tons of things to do (we like the beach and being outside) and the people are nice. I would choose this over Atlanta over and over. So don't listen to the complainers. Listen to the people who say they are happy here

Old 01-31-2011, 06:23 AM

3,417 posts, read 7,759,972 times
I agree with the rest of the comments about the rude people (or lack thereof) in Naples.

The change of lifestyle comment is worrisome. What do you expect Naples to be like? Do you need a job,have kids, need schools? These factors affect your lifestyle and are likely different than NC.

Old 01-31-2011, 11:50 AM

4,782 posts, read 10,552,399 times
Agree with all of the above; and, Weston is 1 1/2 hrs from the eastern edge of 'Naples', further from the beach area or north Naples side.

No expert, but I have been in 2/3rds of the world for biz, and worked out of 51st St in NYC for decades: rude people are not defined by income, geography, or 'place'.
Rude people are rude, in NYC, Charlotte, Tokyo, BA, Naples, et al...

The OP does have one thing accurate: 'Naples' area is nice.
GL, mD

Old 01-31-2011, 05:19 PM

102 posts, read 266,611 times
Well, it depends on how fast you drive, LOL. My parents live in Weston and I just drove there for a visit on Friday. It took us exactly an hour and 10 minutes.

I don't see much rudeness either. There is more of a mid-western influence on Naples since I-75 feeds into town here, while the east coast of FL has more of a NY influence as I-95 feeds into that side.

I find that the hour distance is perfect as it's easy enough to visit but too far for a pop-in, LOL.

Old 02-03-2011, 02:53 PM

2 posts, read 7,846 times
I vote you choose Naples! I'm not so sure that the city or town has any bearing on the degree of rudeness of it's citizens. Maybe a little, but not much. I've met very wealthy people who are the nicest people you would ever want to meet. I've also met people without anything who are wonderful people. Wherever one lives, just make the best of it. Naples has alot to offer. Florida's west coast is a totally different world than the east coast. The beaches are nicer and the surf is more gentle. The sunsets are amazing. There's lots to do too.
I think you'd like it.
Catherine
Everything Naples Florida!

Old 02-07-2011, 05:17 PM

1,369 posts, read 2,265,452 times
I have seen plenty of rudeness here, in just the last hour. I won't say it was the rich, because I don't know, but I got treated with extreme rapid-fire rudeness by three different people in less than an hour here, once in my neighborhood bar, then at a local restaurant, and then while pulling out of the parking lot by another driver.

On the whole I find that in traffic here people are all too willing to be very rude, laying on the horn at you if you don't move instantly enough for them at the light or in a parking lot. That's been done to me a good many times here since I got here in September. They will also cut you off, and pull right out in front of you on 41, forcing you to change lanes abruptly or slam on your brakes.

I'm glad for those who have not seen it, but I've seen a lot of it in just the last hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples