Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 10:04 PM

46 posts, read 108,158 times

Advertisements

Everglades restoration project breaks ground Friday in Collier » Naples Daily News

Could someone please explain to me how this will affect the Golden Gate Estates area? Will it flood the area? Other than the wildlife are there other reasons for this project?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2011, 09:02 AM

592 posts, read 1,813,628 times
I'm just guessing, but I felt bad that no one answered your question yet. So, I'll give it a stab.....I'm thinking it probably has something to do with the huge canal system out there that is connected to, and is part of, the canal system in the Everglades. When they return the water to what we now think of as the Everglades it will also flow into the canals in Golden Gate. Golden Gate was probably built ON Everglades land and the canal system was used to drain the land there to do the building. The property is built up (4' of dirt, I think) by each builder before they are allowed to build a house out there from what I've heard. Believe me, all this is a guess from my old foggy brain and conversations I've heard during my 10 years in Naples. Hopefully, someone with some real knowledge will add something here for you, ha ha.

Old 02-19-2011, 11:03 AM

Thanks for answering. I guess it was all swamp before the 1960s when roads came in. I just wonder if they fill in the canals in the state forest, if the water will back up in the residential area canals. U.S. Corp of Engineers hasn't always done what's good for residential areas in other parts of the US. All of Naples should be concerned. What is established is about to change, and without anyone knowing for sure the consequences.

Old 02-19-2011, 12:40 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,026 posts, read 6,540,797 times
There was a good program (it probably airs on a regular basis) on the FGC Florida channel. It is easy to see from watching it the mistakes made over the last 100 years. It seems that the Golden Gate master plan was a disaster (for the Everglades) from the get go. Lucky it was stopped when it was.

Old 02-19-2011, 01:26 PM

256 posts, read 745,301 times
You can learn a lot about early Florida real estate scams in the history of Golden Gate Estates and the Remuda Ranch.

The man who put it together was considered the Grandfather of Florida land scams. Here's an article on it.

Golden Gate Estates nefarious history « To Twit, perchance, to dream.

and another

Golden Gate Estates

Enjoy

Beth

Old 02-20-2011, 09:39 AM

I remember the early real estate scams as I was a child when it happened. Thank you for the links.

I just wonder though about filling in the canals. What will that do to all of Naples where builders have built very expensive homes? If the water has no place to go, it will surely flood the land in Golden Gate as well as southern portions of Naples in residential areas.

I think the area south of Golden Gate Blvd around Everglades Blvd and beyond is one of the most beautiful areas in Naples.

Old 04-01-2011, 03:42 AM

48 posts, read 156,734 times
Beth Mone. I have just been reading from the two links about Naples Golden Gate Estates and feel disappointed in this news yet lucky to have found this out before ploughing my pension into buying a property there.

How far north would be considered a 'safe from flooding' and normal location without the worry of the Everglades water returning raising the water levels in the surrounding canals soaking the land and over priced scams for land less than half its real value. Eastern Naple miles away from fuel stations and amenities.

Could anyone advise me from England planning to purchase a winter home for retirement 'snow-birding' I believe one would call it, a location north of Naples where this worry can be put aside? Cape Coral, Venice maybe or Sarasota?

Old 04-01-2011, 05:32 AM

256 posts, read 745,301 times
https://my.sfwmd.gov/portal/page/por...avpage=prjsgge

there's good info here

Beth

Old 04-01-2011, 06:42 PM

3,417 posts, read 7,785,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleash22 View Post
Beth Mone. I have just been reading from the two links about Naples Golden Gate Estates and feel disappointed in this news yet lucky to have found this out before ploughing my pension into buying a property there.

How far north would be considered a 'safe from flooding' and normal location without the worry of the Everglades water returning raising the water levels in the surrounding canals soaking the land and over priced scams for land less than half its real value. Eastern Naple miles away from fuel stations and amenities.

Could anyone advise me from England planning to purchase a winter home for retirement 'snow-birding' I believe one would call it, a location north of Naples where this worry can be put aside? Cape Coral, Venice maybe or Sarasota?
Those two links describe the scam history that is long over.

I live in GGE, on a canal, and I don't worry about flooding. Some areas of GGE are lower than others and that is determined by a survey. Lower areas will require more fill dirt. That said, some properties-not houses-can have standing water after a tropical storm or hurricane. That is true of anywhere in Naples.

If you are interested in GGE and worried about this, don't be.

If you are worried about being scammed, well you have that worry everywhere.

The eastern part of GGE is far away from things so factor that into your situation.

GGE consists mainly of working folks with some year round retirees. There are very few snowbirds. Most of them want to live closer to the beach shopping, and restaurants.

Old 04-15-2011, 03:48 PM

2 posts, read 10,738 times
I am about to buy a property in GGE Naples my insurance agent here in wisconsin told me home owners insurance is very expensive? how true is this and does anyone know of a good reasonable insurance company? Thanks Alicia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples