U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-30-2011, 11:20 PM

100 posts, read 147,997 times

Advertisements

My fiance and I are looking to purchase in the Naples area. However, we want to be prepared for those extra costs of living in Naples. Can anyone give me a rough estimate on how much we might expect to pay for hurricane insurance on say a $250,000 home?

And are there any other costs associated with living in Florida or Naples that someone who has never lived there might not be aware of?

Thank you ever so kindly!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 11:54 PM

3,985 posts, read 3,339,710 times
The cost of the 'wind' portion of your home owners insurance is based on many factors.
When was the house built. Homes built pre 94 do not comply with current building codes and insurance is very expensive. Codes were up graded in 94, 98, 02, 06. The newer the home, the less expensive.
Roof type. Gable roof adds to costs. Hip roof is less expensive.
Square footage of home is a factor.
How far from the Gulf. Distance from the Gulf is a factor.
How far is the nearest fire hydrant or water source.
Deductible is based on what it would cost to rebuild the house. The deductible is 2% If the house costs $150,000 to rebuild, you eat the first $3000 of damage.
A separate policy for 'flood' is required if in a flood zone. Policy cost is based on what flood zone the house is located and the elevation of the 'living' floor.
Other costs may include a monthly H.O.A. fee if in a deed restricted community.

Old 05-18-2011, 03:38 PM

8 posts, read 13,385 times
Can you tell me if the ins cost keeps going up based on replacement cost or if you can keep it the same based on the mtg. I am asking because our previous ho ins from another state didn't fluctuate much in 17 yrs and was very reasonable. The bubble and ballooning cost issue in fl and naples area especially seems pretty scary to me. Ins in FL seems insane.

Old 05-18-2011, 05:49 PM

374 posts, read 501,345 times
This is an EXCELLENT thread that should give you considerable information about homeowner's insurance in Florida - scary at best when you're considering moving from a state where insurance is reasonable and sane...

Homeowners Insurance - You must be kidding

Good luck to you

Old 05-18-2011, 06:32 PM

8 posts, read 13,385 times
Thank you. There is much to like about fl, but I am seeing where the way the state/local is being ran is a mess, of course this seems true all over, just diff flavors. Corp/Govt is running america into the ground. The insurance in fl of all kinds is truly shocking. Honestly, whatever happened to owning a home to live in? Seems everything is becoming about the bottom line, doesn't seem to be working out well either.

Sorry for the "rant", but honestly I am beginning to think I live in a parallel universe or something... LOL.

Last edited by BGr8tful; 05-18-2011 at 07:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples