Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2011, 12:17 PM

100 posts, read 301,604 times

Advertisements

I just moved to Golden Gate Estates and our property backs up to a canal. Along the side and front of our house (it's a corner lot) is a ditch that runs into the canal. The canal water is so high after the last couple of storms that it has backed up into the ditch and the water is so high in the ditch that it is overflowing its bank into the street and our yard. Is this normal? Is there something wrong with the canal system? If this is normal, does it happen very often?

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2011, 04:27 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,023 posts, read 6,510,209 times
All the drainage canals and ponds are as full as I have seen in the past two years of being here. Obviously there has been a lot of rain........

Old 10-30-2011, 09:20 AM

3,417 posts, read 7,752,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYogi View Post
I just moved to Golden Gate Estates and our property backs up to a canal. Along the side and front of our house (it's a corner lot) is a ditch that runs into the canal. The canal water is so high after the last couple of storms that it has backed up into the ditch and the water is so high in the ditch that it is overflowing its bank into the street and our yard. Is this normal? Is there something wrong with the canal system? If this is normal, does it happen very often?

Thank you
Normal-yes. It happens about once a year but much depends on where you live. Depends on the rain.

I have a similar issue. It is all part of living in GGE.

Old 10-30-2011, 10:05 AM

256 posts, read 742,509 times
Yogi

I've seen almost all the estates flood in different years. There's no where for the sheet flow to go, once the estuary rivers and canals fill up, it floods.

One way you can tell if your land is flood prone is if you have cypress trees around you. The won't grow in areas that don't flood.

Much of the earlier development didn't account for the continued growth along the coast. In addition, the changes they are making to the watershed in the Picayune and Fakahatchee strands to restore the everglades are changing the water flow once again.

Don't worry it will gone soon.

Good Luck

Beth

Old 10-30-2011, 03:24 PM

3,979 posts, read 10,495,284 times
Areas most prone to flooding are barrier and offshore islands, areas near rivers, creeks, or canals, and low areas including those with elevations of less than 10 feet above mean sea level.

Did you purchase the home or are you renting? Do you know your flood elevation? Do you have flood insurance?

Some communities that have a homeowner association are dredging out the canals or are putting in new drainage systems to help alleviate current flooding problems. A neighbor or someone in the community should be able to tell you how often this happens. I don't think there is much if anything you can do as a homeowner other than have flood insurance to cover your house in case flooding does occur inside the home.

Old 10-31-2011, 06:48 PM

152 posts, read 449,102 times
I just got back from touring GGE to see how bad the flooding is. It is really selective where and which got flooded. One house will be flooded, but the one next to it may not be. On White there were some that had standing water, and some that had none. The same on Golden Gate Blvd. It seems there were more flooded close to canals. Some of the flooding was due to the drainage ditches in front yards overflowing into the yard. North of Golden Gate Blvd seemed to have more than south.

We were lucky that our main yard didn't get flooded. Our ditch is full with lots of tadpoles. There was some water in our driveway for a few days, but I could drive over it without a problem. We saw a floating ant hill today. When we tried to break it up it separated like oil on water. It made several little ant hills. It must have had oil in the dirt, and there must have been air pockets that helped it to float. Lots of birds are out enjoying the feast. It has been an adventure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
View detailed profiles of: