Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 02:30 PM

Location: Chesterfield in Beautiful Massachusetts, New England
76 posts, read 173,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy Lynne View Post
Hello! Well, as many of you warned me and predicted: my move to Naples didn't last very long. In fact, it has been just 4 months and I am packing up.

I've learned alot from my experience that I would be happy to share with those considering a move...to anywhere...but especially to the Naples FL area. Saying that it is "different" in Naples is an understatement. Naples may visually look like paradise...but as the saying goes, "beauty is only skin deep". I felt like I was on a different planet! I do not want to say anything negative...but it just wasn't for me. I would be happy to share specifics and experience if it can help someone.
Naples is the WORST place I lived in in Florida..... I would not live there for anything. Anywhere in Florida is better than the "rich run" snobby joke of a city...

Old 08-25-2007, 02:35 PM

436 posts, read 1,357,234 times
Nancy,
Since I did not hear from you for so long, I thought you were busy enjoying your new job and surroundings. I am sorry that you find yourself unhappy. Are you just leaving Naples, or are you leaving Florida? I think we all would like to hear from you....we know it's not bashing if it is your honest experiences.

Old 08-25-2007, 02:37 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,370,597 times
What is it about Naples that is so repugnant to people? We enjoy going over from time to time-I know living in a place is
waaay different than visiting. So what are the issues?

Old 08-25-2007, 03:28 PM

217 posts, read 878,989 times
I don't care for Naples either.

When we first moved to Florida, we were in Palm Coast, over on the east coast of Florida. Didn't care for that place either.

Now we live in Sarasota. Naples isn't too far from us and we visited the place a few times. Didn't care for it. Something about Naples is unsettling.

We also visited Fort Myers--wow what a weird place!

We have been down here for a little more than a year now (from upstate NY). It takes alot of adjustment because Florida is a state where everyone is from somewhere else, so the roots are not very deep for most Floridians, like it is up North. We were surprised at the large numbers of Midwesterners in SW Florida though. It almost feels like an extension of Illinois or Michigan!

Old 08-25-2007, 03:59 PM

60 posts, read 285,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy Lynne View Post
Hello! Well, as many of you warned me and predicted: my move to Naples didn't last very long. In fact, it has been just 4 months and I am packing up.

I've learned alot from my experience that I would be happy to share with those considering a move...to anywhere...but especially to the Naples FL area. Saying that it is "different" in Naples is an understatement. Naples may visually look like paradise...but as the saying goes, "beauty is only skin deep". I felt like I was on a different planet! I do not want to say anything negative...but it just wasn't for me. I would be happy to share specifics and experience if it can help someone.
I have moved down to Naples three months ago and I don't feel like I'm on another planet. I think you have to give it a chance, 4 months is not long enough. I have met a lot of very nice people and they were not wealthy. I did a couple of part time jobs with just "regular" people and they were fine with me. Why does everyone let wealthy people bother them. Don't we have enough to do in out lives to let these people bother you that you run away or move. So you move to another city or state and there are problems also, are you going to move again and again. What are you looking for paradise? Get real it doesn't exist. If your happy within yourself anywhere is paradise.

Old 08-25-2007, 04:11 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,508,743 times
To be fair to the original poster, she never mentioned leaving b/c of the rich people nor did she want to bash Naples. It just isn't for her. Who said that there has to be a time limit of acceptable "trying"?

I am sure this is not easy on her. Best of luck to her & strength as she tries to move on be it somewhere else in Florida or elsewhere in the states.

Old 08-25-2007, 04:12 PM

2,313 posts, read 3,189,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jannie View Post
I have moved down to Naples three months ago and I don't feel like I'm on another planet. I think you have to give it a chance, 4 months is not long enough. I have met a lot of very nice people and they were not wealthy. I did a couple of part time jobs with just "regular" people and they were fine with me. Why does everyone let wealthy people bother them. Don't we have enough to do in out lives to let these people bother you that you run away or move. So you move to another city or state and there are problems also, are you going to move again and again. What are you looking for paradise? Get real it doesn't exist. If your happy within yourself anywhere is paradise.
Because she doesn't share your love for it you say hateful things to her, imply there must be something wrong with her and she is not happy. Perhaps we are seeing some of the reason she left in your post.

Old 08-26-2007, 07:53 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,155,259 times
Nancy Lynne - What happened???
I remember reading your posts when you were interviewing and planning the move. Your stories were very enjoyable and you were optimistic, albeit cognizant and careful about whether it was the right thing to do or not.

I'm sorry it didn't work out for you.

Yes, are you leaving Florida completely?

Old 08-26-2007, 02:21 PM

3,417 posts, read 7,785,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallylady46 View Post
I don't care for Naples either.

When we first moved to Florida, we were in Palm Coast, over on the east coast of Florida. Didn't care for that place either.

Now we live in Sarasota. Naples isn't too far from us and we visited the place a few times. Didn't care for it. Something about Naples is unsettling.

We also visited Fort Myers--wow what a weird place!

We have been down here for a little more than a year now (from upstate NY). It takes alot of adjustment because Florida is a state where everyone is from somewhere else, so the roots are not very deep for most Floridians, like it is up North. We were surprised at the large numbers of Midwesterners in SW Florida though. It almost feels like an extension of Illinois or Michigan!
The reason there are so many midwesterners in SW Florida is because of I-75.

SE Florida has I-95 and has the crowd from the NE states such as PA, NJ, and NY.

I see that doesn't apply to you coming from NY to SW Florida.

Old 08-26-2007, 02:29 PM

1,413 posts, read 2,463,069 times
We lived there for 18 years . . . each year things got progressively worse . . .

Beach became more polluted and outbreaks of red tide went from infrequently to very frequent . . .

Taxes went way up . .

Utilities very high . . .

Insurance on Homes out of this world . . . and cars

The traffic in Naples is horrendous . . . non-english speaking people are hired in most stores and cannot help out english speaking people . . .

Home prices outrageous . . . public schools, well I worked in them for 12 years, more problems than I can write . . .

It was paradise . . . got extremely overbuilt, overpriced, overpopulated, and unfortunately . . .we got out 3 years ago, and we are grateful to be out of that state!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples