Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 11:44 AM

76 posts, read 222,978 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by novanative75 View Post
Are you open to leaving the state, JJJNEY? I am from Virginia and love it there, now I have lived in Northern Virginia, which is kind of crazy and might no be the best place if your family is already grown, you might be looking for something more relaxing. I think the Carolinas are a great place to live as well as some areas in Georgia.
I have friends all over Florida and no one loves it.
I am surprised, with your husband's salary, and the terrible housing market, that you can not find a house here? There are great deals now, I am shocked at what some of the houses in our neighborhood are going for.
I suppose. It just seems so scary. We probably could find another home in Naples just not size we need or are looking for. Not too mention my husband does not want to have another mortgage. So selling our home would leave us under 200,000 which in Naples doesn't buy you anything (that I know of). Sooo... that's our story in a nut shell. However, if we used that towards the house and took out a small mortgage we would be fine but husband DOES NOT want to do that. He thinks we should be able to find a house somewhere for this amount of money and have NO MORE MORTGAGE.

Old 11-28-2007, 11:50 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,158,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJJNEY View Post
I suppose. It just seems so scary. We probably could find another home in Naples just not size we need or are looking for. Not too mention my husband does not want to have another mortgage. So selling our home would leave us under 200,000 which in Naples doesn't buy you anything (that I know of). Sooo... that's our story in a nut shell. However, if we used that towards the house and took out a small mortgage we would be fine but husband DOES NOT want to do that. He thinks we should be able to find a house somewhere for this amount of money and have NO MORE MORTGAGE.
Yep! I think so too. That would be nice, wouldn't it. How' bout North Carolina? House may be within the budget but would he still make over $90K there? Things even out one way or another. Lower expenses = lower salaries, higher =s higher, etc.

Old 11-28-2007, 11:55 AM

847 posts, read 3,520,019 times
Quote:
Oh, I see what you are saying. If you do not want a mortgage, then you are dealing with a different category of homes. We have never lived in a place where, today, you could get a home for $200,000 but I know places like that exist. Again, I would recommend North Carolina. However, something else to consider is renting. We are a young couple 32/35 and have now bought 4 homes and have made good money on each one but with the market being so crappy now everywhere, our next move might be a rental. With your equity in your home and the nice salary that your husband makes, maybe consider renting, put your money in something where it will grow and you won't touch it and try out a new area, risk free somewhat.
Again, I would have laughed at anyone if they told me to rent a year ago but with the amount of money that we are facing possible losing when we sell this place, we might rent in our next area, which will probably be Chicago. There are some great deals in Naples now. If you can convince your husband to carry a small mortgage, you could do it. There are homes in my neighborhood that were selling for $500,000-$600,000 that are now going for $350,000-$399,000.
Good luck!

Old 11-28-2007, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
Yep! I think so too. That would be nice, wouldn't it. How' bout North Carolina? House may be within the budget but would he still make over $90K there? Things even out one way or another. Lower expenses = lower salaries, higher =s higher, etc.
No probably not,but he (we) doen't care because our house would be paid off so this would compensate everything we left behind. Never been to NC is it very cold! my husband and my children have never seen snow IRL. Just this year we were planning to go skiing in colorado.

Old 11-28-2007, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by novanative75 View Post
Oh, I see what you are saying. If you do not want a mortgage, then you are dealing with a different category of homes. We have never lived in a place where, today, you could get a home for $200,000 but I know places like that exist. Again, I would recommend North Carolina. However, something else to consider is renting. We are a young couple 32/35 and have now bought 4 homes and have made good money on each one but with the market being so crappy now everywhere, our next move might be a rental. With your equity in your home and the nice salary that your husband makes, maybe consider renting, put your money in something where it will grow and you won't touch it and try out a new area, risk free somewhat.
Again, I would have laughed at anyone if they told me to rent a year ago but with the amount of money that we are facing possible losing when we sell this place, we might rent in our next area, which will probably be Chicago. There are some great deals in Naples now. If you can convince your husband to carry a small mortgage, you could do it. There are homes in my neighborhood that were selling for $500,000-$600,000 that are now going for $350,000-$399,000.
Good luck!
we are also a young couple 30/36 and we also bought a few homes that we can not sell and am not sure what's going to happen. Do you think I should make with what I have or sell and get the hell out.

Old 11-28-2007, 12:11 PM

What is it like in NC or Virginia. Is anyone familiar with Hot Springs Village in Arkansa

Old 11-28-2007, 12:12 PM

oops .... Arkansas

Old 11-28-2007, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
so tell me about NC

Old 11-28-2007, 12:22 PM

Quote:
No probably not,but he (we) doen't care because our house would be paid off so this would compensate everything we left behind. Never been to NC is it very cold! my husband and my children have never seen snow IRL. Just this year we were planning to go skiing in colorado.
LOLLLLL... I've been in Florida for 11 years now, originally from New York. I never want to see snow again. I'll take the weather here anytime - just love that A/C!

I've been wanting to go to NC but not November - February. My SO doesn't want to even think about anything below 75 degrees but I want him to see the autumn leaves one day.

Lower expenses/housing costs may compensate for lower salaries but how much lower? NC has a narrow "field of opportunity" market I think. I may be wrong, wrong, wrong though.

Good luck to you. I sort of tend to agree about trying to sell here, invest any profit, and rent in the new area. OR.... rent out your home here, and rent in the new area also. If you don't like it, you can always come back to your new home (and hopefully the old job too).

Old 11-28-2007, 12:27 PM

Quote:
we are also a young couple 30/36 and we also bought a few homes that we can not sell and am not sure what's going to happen. Do you think I should make with what I have or sell and get the hell out.
Just curious... How much has your family grown that you have totally outgrown your current place? You cannot sell anything here lately unless you give it away and there are no buyers because they can't get loans. I don't know that it makes much sense to move now. Maybe bunk beds will help?

Families before didn't need as much space as we need now, yet they had 10 times more kids than we have now. Don't get me wrong - I love space but heck that means more cleaning, more lawn, more expenses too.

Can you "add" to your current home? Might be an idea to just increase square footage of your current home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples