Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 03:23 PM

3 posts, read 9,206 times

Advertisements

Ok, so I have relatives in that area (actually Ft. Myers) and they have been trying to get me to buy something for the longest time (nephew is in the mortgage business). My husband and I are retired NYPD and we have two teenagers (17 & 15). Another retired friend of mine just bought in Bella Terra and loves it. They are not there full time, but go back and forth quite often. If I were to buy something it would have to be new construction as I presently live in an older house and just don't want to deal with the older problems anymore (I know that new also comes with problems). I have also found Village Walk (Bonita) on line and it sounds really nice. So my question is what's the better of the two for a family with two teenagers (by the way my son will be in college in September so it wouldn't be that big a deal to him). My nephew said that Bella Terra is nice, but he wasn't familiar with Village Walk, although he said that Bonita Springs is very nice. I will be down there during the summer and was planning on looking around. My husband is not really all that crazy about the idea, but I would love a place to escape to and to also be closer to family. My thinking is that if sees some really nice places he might be a little more fond of the idea. Friends of ours just moved to Clermont (Legends) and we did visit them and my husband thought it was nice, but neither of us would never move to that area. Need to be near the beach, he scuba dives regularly and we are just used to being near the water, plus I just can't see having a home in Florida and have to drive for an hour or more to the beach. if you have any other developments that would fit the bill, please let me know. The cost would have to be 250,000 to 300,000, new, not too long a drive to the beach (20 min or so) and close to shopping (very used to walking to everything) and most importantly safe. I am also fully aware that things can happen anywhere, but maybe a place with less crimes against persons. Thanks for any help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2012, 11:43 PM

146 posts, read 335,520 times
My daughter lived in Bella Terra during her college years and it was fine as far as a development goes. Places were spacious and very close to Miromar Outlets and Gulf Coast Town Center and the college. The downside is you are pretty far away the closest beach, which would actually be Bonita Beach, because to get to Ft. Myers beach you would still need to get to Bonita Beach Road and go up Estero Blvd. or go thru the south side of Ft. Myers to get out to the beach. Very inconvenient as far as that goes. For that reason, if beach is important, stick with Bonita. But beware of one thing in Bonita, parts of it, I don't know which parts can flood in rainy season. Check the flooding history of any place you look at there. I'm not familiar with Village Walk.

Old 04-01-2012, 07:29 PM

Thanks for the info, I will definitely do my homework

Old 04-03-2012, 06:08 AM

3,417 posts, read 7,786,636 times
You have a lot of options with that housing budget.

I'm not a Bonita expert but a rule of thumb is any of the gated communities in Naples/Bonita/Estero are worth looking at. They are full of snowbirds, most are newer (built 90s on up-during the boom), and safe.

Old 04-03-2012, 05:16 PM

3 posts, read 8,743 times
Village walk is a beautiful community. My husband and I just bought in Naples but he did not want to be right on top of each other.
The village walk has so many amenities but are way too close for us.
He is a retired providence Lt. and we have been talking about this move for years.
Whatever you do, be prepared....the houses are flying off the market. We put in 3 offers before we were able to buy......leaving RI in about 10 days...

Good luck

Old 04-03-2012, 07:07 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,026 posts, read 6,541,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xstenox View Post
Village walk is a beautiful community. My husband and I just bought in Naples but he did not want to be right on top of each other.
The village walk has so many amenities but are way too close for us.
He is a retired providence Lt. and we have been talking about this move for years.
Whatever you do, be prepared....the houses are flying off the market. We put in 3 offers before we were able to buy......leaving RI in about 10 days...

Good luck
If I may ask, where in Naples did you end up buying?

Old 04-04-2012, 09:25 AM

Yes I was going to ask the same question. Where did you buy if you don't mind me asking. Could you also recommend some developments in Naples that would be worth looking into? Thanks so much.

Old 04-04-2012, 04:04 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,026 posts, read 6,541,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sigabby View Post
Yes I was going to ask the same question. Where did you buy if you don't mind me asking. Could you also recommend some developments in Naples that would be worth looking into? Thanks so much.
You probably were not asking me..... But, if so, Lakeside in N. Naples. Love it......

Old 04-15-2012, 05:15 AM

Default We bought on Everglades blvd

Sorry, I was only on this site one time to reply and have been so busy.
My husband and I bought on Everglades south because he wanted more privacy. I understand many people may feel that is "too far out" of town, but we lived way out on the ri conn. Line in ri.
The closing got delayed because banks are so cautious as a result of all the foreclosures.
We actually offered on three houses before we got one. Price range 200s.
Please be prepared as they are going fast off the market if they are good houses. Let me know if you need a realtor. Ours is a retired Newport police.

Old 05-16-2012, 07:17 AM

Default Ok....love love love Naples

We've been here four weeks now and I love Naples! The hot weather is great....the church we found is so beautiful...there is so much more to do here compared to ri....I laughed at my first electric bill bc we had the ac on 24/7 Nd my bill was 130 compared to 250-300 in ri
I love it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples