Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 05:10 PM

38 posts, read 44,834 times

Advertisements

I am relocating to Naples and I do my research. I thought I was pretty much ahead of the game until I started checking out insurance - homeowners, auto, umbrella... Good Lord - how does one justify paying the rates Floridians pay for insurance? It's enough to make someone turn around and run. Too bad I already bought or I just might have done that.

My question is - what insurance companies are worth checking out? I was wary of Citizen's but one agency told me that they are not like they used to be and are now competitive. Not sure if I buy that. Consumer Reports ratings?...most don't write homeowners in Florida. Call a known agency and your quote comes back with a name that is not recognizable - because the "known" agency doesn't write in Florida. Are ya'll doing without insurance or are you self-funding...or maybe you're just drinking a lot of vodka as you write out your premium checks? I've spent more time checking out insurance than I did giving birth.

Does anyone that is not an insurance agent have any knowledgeable recommendation? Or shall I pull out the vodka?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2013, 05:41 PM

1,917 posts, read 2,630,654 times
I just purchased and am also shocked by the cost of insurance in FL.

My insurance in NJ is less than $800 per year however the crazy high cost of insurance in FL the property taxes are lower together are much lower than my taxes and insurance in NJ.

Gary

Old 02-27-2013, 06:17 PM

The property taxes are much lower, I agree. I can see the homeowners insurance...and perhaps the auto insurance after a certain age is higher...but double? And for someone that isn't considered elderly yet?? I'd rather have higher property taxes...at least those are tax-deductible.

Old 02-27-2013, 06:19 PM

By the way - congrats on your new purchase!

Old 02-27-2013, 07:18 PM

3,418 posts, read 7,788,532 times
Citizen's is in a lot of turmoil right now. The execs were caught giving outrageous raises and taking lavish trips at taxpayer expense.

The rest of them aren't much better.

You can't do without insurance if you have a mortgage. You can self-fund if you have no mortgage and only want certain coverage but don't want hurricane coverage.

I have Allstate for everything and although I'm no fan of them they have been alright considering the marketplace.

To answer your question you drink a lot of vodka.

Old 02-27-2013, 08:33 PM

The vodka can't mess up my head any more than all these policies in my lap!!

Old 02-28-2013, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serendipity55 View Post
The vodka can't mess up my head any more than all these policies in my lap!!
Then it is a win-win!

Old 02-28-2013, 06:46 AM

Ha ha...until the tab comes - and it always does. I'll put my nose back to the grindstone today and see what other estimates come in. Hopefully, I can put this to bed soon.

Old 02-28-2013, 07:04 AM

Pay attention to the wind mitigation discount. It is generally worth it to get that done as the discount can be significant-although will likely still shock you.

Old 02-28-2013, 08:52 AM

I plan to have that done after I have new hurricane shutters installed shortly after I move in. Not sure it can ease the pain of the cost of the entire policy though!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples