Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 11:42 AM

87 posts, read 305,727 times

Advertisements

We're getting closer to our house being built and are working on final details with the builder. Our house is two stories and we're putting in a pool and patio. We had wanted to put in a two story pool cage because the second floor has a veranda and we thought it would look nicer and keep bugs off the veranda. I just got the pricing on a one story versus a 2 story cage and it's more than double the price. So now we're leaning toward going with a one story. Does it really make a difference? Pros and cons? We're from NY so we don't have any experience with this. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2013, 12:13 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,087,806 times
I will say that the higher the pool cage, the more "outside" and less like you're in a cage they feel, but you pay for it. The high ones will also be more susceptible to wind damage, I imagine. Depending on the size of the upstairs porch, the other option is a shorter pool cage and separate screen for the upstairs if you plan on using it much.

Old 06-13-2013, 01:44 PM

124 posts, read 333,268 times
How about having your veranda screened in and the pool area open. When you go to the community pool there is never a screen present. It is really nice to have an open feel, when you looked at the model homes, I’m sure most just had a fence around the perimeter of the yard. No screen, this is getting more popular.
When I first moved to Naples 9 years ago, everyone kept telling about the bugs. So I made sure that my home pool was covered. Once I was ready to move again, this time I made sure that the pool area just had a nice fence around it. There aren't any bugs during the day. Now I can say that it’s actually enjoyable to sit by my pool now without feeling like I’m in a cage. Then if in the evening you want to enjoy the sunset you can sit out on the veranda. That way, to me you have the best of both worlds. Oh and your insurance will be cheaper. If you are set on a cage, then I would go for the double, but do check the insurance prices, you may be surprised (shocked) some won't even cover them.

Old 06-13-2013, 05:36 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,096,073 times
I like the pool cage because I like to open the back of my home up and still have it enclosed. November-March, nothing better than having the entire house open and living outside.

If you can afford it, go for the two story. They are fantastic.

You'll never sit around saying, "I wish we had only done one story".

However, you do the one story you will say the opposite.

Good luck!

Old 06-13-2013, 06:57 PM

Thank you so much! You've all given me something to think about. I think we're going to try to go with a 2 level cage. I would love to not put up a cage at all but I hate bugs and I would like to use the pool and patio at night also.

Old 06-13-2013, 07:54 PM

It's not only the bugs that are an issue. Leaves, pine needles etc. are a consideration. The cage keeps the pool much cleaner if you have any trees around.

Old 06-13-2013, 09:16 PM

85 posts, read 176,887 times
Agree with Tripower. In addition, a good cage eliminates the squirrels, snakes and beetles.

Old 06-13-2013, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldkiss View Post
Agree with Tripower. In addition, a good cage eliminates the squirrels, snakes and beetles.
The snakes and lizards still seem to get in!

Old 06-14-2013, 07:26 PM

112 posts, read 308,542 times
I had a cage-less pool and it was always filthy with tree debris. The only time it looked good was for 10 minutes after it was cleaned. And you know we went through a number of pool filters and I always thought it was because all the junk that got into the pool. Don't do cageless! The two story does look nice. You will love it either way!

Old 06-14-2013, 08:03 PM

I have a pool in New York now that get's a lot of debris in it now and I have to clean it everyday. The thought of not having to do that sounds wonderful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples