Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 10:52 PM

102 posts, read 266,415 times

Advertisements

Two days ago, on Wed. 8/14, an enormous cell phone tower was erected on the grounds of Poinciana Elementary school. This is located off Airport Road, just north of Golden Gate Parkway.

The tower is extremely unsightly and now looms directly over the end of the cul-de-sac of the small community I live in adjacent to the school, giving it an industrial feel. Obviously there is a negative impact to property values and the potential health risks involved for residents as well as the elementary students.

Residents had zero notification that this was happening. Since school was not in session, apparently Poinciana parents had little or no input in this process either. Note that other Collier schools, including Naples Park elementary, from what we've heard were successfully able to block a cell tower from their schools as they were notified in advance.

The whole thing seems very shady. Several families living on our street also have young kids at Poinciana or planning to attend Poinciana. We are all pretty upset about this.

If any of you would sign the petition against this, we would really and truly appreciate it. We are trying to fight it and need to get to 1,000 signatures. Thanks in advance!

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/971/7...entary-school/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2013, 11:23 PM

View of tower from our street:

Old 08-17-2013, 06:27 AM

4,782 posts, read 10,541,056 times
Wow!
B, I would sign, but I am not a legal rez of FL...good luck with pushing back on that.
Tell S, I said 'Hey'.
Good Luck, mD & V

Old 08-17-2013, 08:08 AM

124 posts, read 331,827 times
Just signed, thanks for the info.

Old 08-17-2013, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motordavid View Post
Wow!
B, I would sign, but I am not a legal rez of FL...good luck with pushing back on that.
Tell S, I said 'Hey'.
Good Luck, mD & V
Hey ya! Thank you. I know Scott would love it if you stopped by to talk cars and check out the new garage this season. Enjoy the mountains!!!!!

Old 08-17-2013, 07:41 PM

4,696 posts, read 7,859,928 times
I would sign...does it matter that I don;t live that way?

Old 08-17-2013, 11:49 PM

8,061 posts, read 4,856,141 times
Have the Osceola Schools offered to make it into a Fake Palm tree Theme?

It does stick like a sore thumb.

Old 08-18-2013, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie of Oldsmar View Post
I would sign...does it matter that I don;t live that way?
Annie, please sign, thank you so much. It doesn't matter if you don't live here. Many signatures are from grandparents concerned about their grandkids at the school. If there is any question at all about possible effects down the road, these towers just shouldn't be located on elementary school grounds. Anyone who cares about the potential health hazards, please sign! These can be located in industrial areas, elementary schools in residential areas should not be considered an appropriate location. Naples Park elementary was able to successfully fight a cell tower, but Poinciana had no notice that this was happening.

Old 08-18-2013, 09:09 AM

549 posts, read 454,692 times
It’s an eye sore, but cell towers have no health risks. In fact, if you use a cell phone, being close to a tower will expose you to less radiation. I know it’s counterintuitive, but this is how physics works.

If you worry about this kind of things, you should stop flying, using microwaves and Wi-Fi routers, and never walk under Florida sun. I bought a house near a tower and live there with my children. I don’t work for a communication company. I do know physics quite well, though.

Old 08-18-2013, 01:52 PM

OK, if we set health issues aside, it is ugly and industrial looking and doesn't belong in a residential area or on elementary school property. It's not like it was needed or wanted in this location, coverage has always been just fine. There are plenty of industrial locations it could have gone nearby off of Airport Rd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples