U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2014, 03:34 PM

3,006 posts, read 5,084,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldkiss View Post
Wow, great that some of you can tough it out. Maybe i'm not that strong to continue being where I don't like. Or maybe I made better decisions earlier in life. Over thirty years here full time and still enjoying life.
Now i'm wondering what sweetbottoms will be like in her golden years. Will she be "crusty" and "tanned leather"? With a bit of maturity, many people adapt to life in later years. Unfortunately, some never do and live a sad life. We all have choices, I made mine with no regrets, evidently you cannot say the same.
No pity for your situation, you did it yourself.
I've been here almost 31 years full time with 11 months away. Many people move many times in their life. It doesn't make them old and crusty or unhappy. It's a new experience every time.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2014, 06:59 PM

75 posts, read 107,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
I've been here almost 31 years full time with 11 months away. Many people move many times in their life. It doesn't make them old and crusty or unhappy. It's a new experience every time.
Here I am, in the golden years of my life, you generalize about old people and i'm supposed to not take exception? IMO, you and the others like you that complain about Naples but do nothing about it (like move away) are the bigger problem.
I would happily accept the people blocking grocery isles to never hear another complaint from a person that doesn't want to be here. Everything in life is a trade off. Perhaps you are too young and with a lack of maturity to realize that. You have to define the level of comfort you require. It seems that you want something different but are not willing to step up and change. You may have aged before your time, you sound like an unhappy old person, dare I say crusty and tanned leather.
Quite probably, in 30 more years, i'll be long gone. I wonder how you will be. Still complaining and doing nothing about it other than rationalizing why you couldn't move?
You and a few others cannot move soon enough for me.

Old 03-05-2014, 07:15 PM

112 posts, read 209,507 times
OK, my two cents. Other than the driving here, you know the already mentioned constant fear of being in an accident, I have to admit I am happier than a pig in poop here. I love it. Compared to NJ/NY/PA the cost of living is very low. When people talk about how expensive it is to live here I just wonder.

Old 03-05-2014, 09:15 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
2,826 posts, read 4,349,694 times
We are lucky (or stupid) enough to have three modest homes. We drive the 11 hours between them when we feel like a change, have an obligation (mostly family related) or want to escape the cold weather and especially the snow. I hate dealing with snow...... Anyway if I had to, I could live in any of the three locations full time.

One thing I learned a long time ago and still believe as I approach my 65th year: Nothing is so good that it does not get old after a while. Nothing is so bad that you cannot adjust or just plain get use to and deal with it. It's all in the attitude!

Old 03-06-2014, 06:27 AM

123 posts, read 183,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmozer View Post
We are lucky (or stupid) enough to have three modest homes. We drive the 11 hours between them when we feel like a change, have an obligation (mostly family related) or want to escape the cold weather and especially the snow. I hate dealing with snow...... Anyway if I had to, I could live in any of the three locations full time.

One thing I learned a long time ago and still believe as I approach my 65th year: Nothing is so good that it does not get old after a while. Nothing is so bad that you cannot adjust or just plain get use to and deal with it. It's all in the attitude!
I may be wrong in my thinking, but, in Naples, where the median age is 64.2 years, and therefore approaching end of life, I'm not thinking that I want to "get use to and deal with" too much. I'd like to spend my golden years happy and not just have to "tolerate" too much. So, I'm thinking that one should do pretty much, within reason, whatever makes them happy, as long as others aren't negatively impacted, even though we live in a "it's all about me society." We generally have a choice of where we want to live, especially in retirement.

Old 03-06-2014, 06:55 AM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
2,826 posts, read 4,349,694 times
I should add that if I were forced to pick one of my three home locations to live full time, it would be Naples (Murrells Inlet SC would be a close second).

Old 03-06-2014, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldkiss View Post
Here I am, in the golden years of my life, you generalize about old people and i'm supposed to not take exception? IMO, you and the others like you that complain about Naples but do nothing about it (like move away) are the bigger problem.
I would happily accept the people blocking grocery isles to never hear another complaint from a person that doesn't want to be here. Everything in life is a trade off. Perhaps you are too young and with a lack of maturity to realize that. You have to define the level of comfort you require. It seems that you want something different but are not willing to step up and change. You may have aged before your time, you sound like an unhappy old person, dare I say crusty and tanned leather.
Quite probably, in 30 more years, i'll be long gone. I wonder how you will be. Still complaining and doing nothing about it other than rationalizing why you couldn't move?
You and a few others cannot move soon enough for me.
Actually if you read my post you'd see I said we are moving. However instead of most people who move to this state with little to no money, and no jobs , we are not so dumb. We need time to save, my husband needs to finish his BA and then we will start new. We have obligations until then.

This is a retirement town, you are in your "golden years" ... I'm probably 30+ years younger than you if I had to guess. I believe it's less about lack of maturity and more about I'd like to do more in my life than have breakfast at Perkins at 8 am and spend the rest of the day reading the paper on my porch. I have a young child and schools to think about. I'd like to be near museums, and aquariums and culture.. How many of the same art fest can I attend year after year with all the same pictures and needlework?? I'm a natural red head, how much sun At the beach do you possibly think I'm getting? I've already had skin cancer in my mid 20's. That's great you love it, we don't . Keep the town and all the retirement homes, I spent the last 30 years here and I'm ready to move on.

Old 03-06-2014, 08:27 AM

6 posts, read 13,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
Actually if you read my post you'd see I said we are moving. However instead of most people who move to this state with little to no money, and no jobs , we are not so dumb. We need time to save, my husband needs to finish his BA and then we will start new. We have obligations until then.

This is a retirement town, you are in your "golden years" ... I'm probably 30+ years younger than you if I had to guess. I believe it's less about lack of maturity and more about I'd like to do more in my life than have breakfast at Perkins at 8 am and spend the rest of the day reading the paper on my porch. I have a young child and schools to think about. I'd like to be near museums, and aquariums and culture.. How many of the same art fest can I attend year after year with all the same pictures and needlework?? I'm a natural red head, how much sun At the beach do you possibly think I'm getting? I've already had skin cancer in my mid 20's. That's great you love it, we don't . Keep the town and all the retirement homes, I spent the last 30 years here and I'm ready to move on.

Wow, how time changes people! Your quote from 04-04-2012:

"A lot of people rip Naples apart, like you said they are entitled to their opinion.. Let me give you mine. My husband and I are young professionals (I'm now 29 gah but I have lived in naples for 27 of those 29 years). There is PLENTY to do and a lot of young people. Everyone will say oh its an old people community etc etc. If that was the case they wouldn't have just opened a Children's Museum 2 months ago. Across the street from the museum is Fun and Sun Lagoon (water park) Across from the mall is a HUGE skate park thats always packed and the first Saturday of every month is free entrance to all Collier residents at the Naples Zoo. Let me tell you its shoulder to shoulder with young families and people ALL day.. That doesn't scream old people to me.

Mercato is a great place to hang out. I love The PUB and Blue Martini plus the Silverspot movie theater on the second floor is wonderful. We also enjoy Coconut point a mere 15 mins up the road in Estero and Gulf Coast Town Center a few exits away in Estero also. LOTS of shopping, dinning, bars and movies there. In the "winter time" this place is packed with art shows, out door theaters , parades for the holidays, A Taste of Collier, A Taste of Marco and so on. We are never bored in season. In the summer yes it can be slower, thats the time to enjoy the beach and upcoming movies. The bars will still be hopping and Naples has a wonderful food scene (I graduated culinary school I should know :-P ).

We have Florida Gulf Coast University in Ft. Myers where you will find a lot of people your age who hang out at Gulf Coast Town Center. Ft. Myers Beach also has a lot going on with bars, clubs, festivals ......

We also have Germaine Area in Estero which hosts MANY concerts (Elton John was just there a few weeks ago) and also hosts the Florida Everblades hockey team which are SO much fun and cheap and when they aren't playing the ice rink is open for public skating..

Cost of living yes is high. North Naples would probably be the most desirable place to live for most followed by the City of Naples. For rent I don't know what your budget is but expect to pay over $900+ for a decent place to live (apt) houses are gonna be over probably $1,200.

I find it most enjoyable to live here, RARELY do I find myself very bored although like any place you live you have those days where you just can't find a d*mn thing to do you know. I lived in the middle of nowhere New Hampshire and let me tell you these kids don't know a darn thing about nothing to do! This place is paradise compared to that! No place is perfect really but hey I didn't have to shovel snow or de-ice my car this winter so I think I'm coming out on top!

What else, people the are snobby.. Well yah some are why surround yourself with them? I find the "snobby" people are infact the older people and/or visitors (sigh we can't live without em here but they do sometimes act like they deserve the world) People our age (20's-30's) are usually friendly and outgoing I've even met some really nice older people.

Gotta take it all with a grain of salt you know maybe you're just catching someone on a bad day who knows! I don't know about no jobs as far as your area goes but I will say there is a huge influx of young families and people with children . I have a two year old and I'm finding many things to do that cater to her age from indoor playgrounds, water parks, the museum and even free kids movies at the theater in the summer time so imo if there is a need for children oriented activities then someones gotta teach the little stinkers ;-). Don't let the negativity scare you everyone has crap to talk about some place. ESP those that don't want to be here, moved here against their will or have been here so long they just have lost joy in what they do. We'd be glad to have you here."

Old 03-06-2014, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry34119 View Post
Wow, how time changes people! Your quote from 04-04-2012:

"A lot of people rip Naples apart, like you said they are entitled to their opinion.. Let me give you mine. My husband and I are young professionals (I'm now 29 gah but I have lived in naples for 27 of those 29 years). There is PLENTY to do and a lot of young people. Everyone will say oh its an old people community etc etc. If that was the case they wouldn't have just opened a Children's Museum 2 months ago. Across the street from the museum is Fun and Sun Lagoon (water park) Across from the mall is a HUGE skate park thats always packed and the first Saturday of every month is free entrance to all Collier residents at the Naples Zoo. Let me tell you its shoulder to shoulder with young families and people ALL day.. That doesn't scream old people to me.

Mercato is a great place to hang out. I love The PUB and Blue Martini plus the Silverspot movie theater on the second floor is wonderful. We also enjoy Coconut point a mere 15 mins up the road in Estero and Gulf Coast Town Center a few exits away in Estero also. LOTS of shopping, dinning, bars and movies there. In the "winter time" this place is packed with art shows, out door theaters , parades for the holidays, A Taste of Collier, A Taste of Marco and so on. We are never bored in season. In the summer yes it can be slower, thats the time to enjoy the beach and upcoming movies. The bars will still be hopping and Naples has a wonderful food scene (I graduated culinary school I should know :-P ).

We have Florida Gulf Coast University in Ft. Myers where you will find a lot of people your age who hang out at Gulf Coast Town Center. Ft. Myers Beach also has a lot going on with bars, clubs, festivals ......

We also have Germaine Area in Estero which hosts MANY concerts (Elton John was just there a few weeks ago) and also hosts the Florida Everblades hockey team which are SO much fun and cheap and when they aren't playing the ice rink is open for public skating..

Cost of living yes is high. North Naples would probably be the most desirable place to live for most followed by the City of Naples. For rent I don't know what your budget is but expect to pay over $900+ for a decent place to live (apt) houses are gonna be over probably $1,200.

I find it most enjoyable to live here, RARELY do I find myself very bored although like any place you live you have those days where you just can't find a d*mn thing to do you know. I lived in the middle of nowhere New Hampshire and let me tell you these kids don't know a darn thing about nothing to do! This place is paradise compared to that! No place is perfect really but hey I didn't have to shovel snow or de-ice my car this winter so I think I'm coming out on top!

What else, people the are snobby.. Well yah some are why surround yourself with them? I find the "snobby" people are infact the older people and/or visitors (sigh we can't live without em here but they do sometimes act like they deserve the world) People our age (20's-30's) are usually friendly and outgoing I've even met some really nice older people.

Gotta take it all with a grain of salt you know maybe you're just catching someone on a bad day who knows! I don't know about no jobs as far as your area goes but I will say there is a huge influx of young families and people with children . I have a two year old and I'm finding many things to do that cater to her age from indoor playgrounds, water parks, the museum and even free kids movies at the theater in the summer time so imo if there is a need for children oriented activities then someones gotta teach the little stinkers ;-). Don't let the negativity scare you everyone has crap to talk about some place. ESP those that don't want to be here, moved here against their will or have been here so long they just have lost joy in what they do. We'd be glad to have you here."

Indeed. That was two years ago. I wasn't as concerned with schools and such, that seemed so far away at the time with her only being two (time flies!).My daughter is now 4 (5 this year) and as we started doing more researcher aren't thrilled. Also my daughter, it seems, is very intolerant to the heat. She doesn't want to play outside May-Sept. We thought it was just an act for my husband and myself until she had a sleep over at a friends and we were asked if she was perhaps sick and that's why she didn't want to play outside. She genuinely doesn't like extreme heat. My husband and I also don't influence her by talking about it. Our tastes have changed, we want more for her than a retirement community.

Also my husband has since gotten is Assoc. And is onto his BA. His major (Finance/Economics) isn't really that huge here. He's looking into Financial Stock Market Ananlyst and for that we will need to be closer to a major hub.

Old 03-06-2014, 11:22 AM

Another example today why season needs to end. Yesterday I went to the library with a list of 9 books to read. None on the shelves or able to be put on hold. Today I went with an entirely new list of 14. Not one...single.. book available. This isn't an issue off season. We aren't made to have this many people. I was EASILY the youngest person (other than the children's section) by a good 40 years today. That's not something my daughter needs to grow up in. She needs a younger place with more vibrancy and resources.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples