Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 11:39 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,743,416 times

Advertisements

A wise person doesn't let on when they have a good thing going, they keep it under their hat, lest others catch on and ruin a good thing.

As for "golden years", mine were in my teens, when I'd get an erection for no reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2014, 04:45 PM

4,787 posts, read 10,602,776 times
Interesting thread...
Otoh, if all the 'seasonal' population went to AZ or the moon, for a few years, vacating/selling their seasonal housing, their spending/sales tax, etc., the econ of much of FL would be a much different landscape and situation, imo.

Those 'still here' would have less crowded roads, restaurants begging people to come in, no/fewer old people driving dodge-em cars, and on and on...

But the RE tax base would be substantially changed, those fams with kids would be paying near private school pricing, (RE seasonal tax reduced by multiple), and the government misspending, at all levels, would have to misspend with a lot less dough.

Not suggesting the seasonal gang are a life saver or a panacea, but anyone that happened to waddle through 'Naples' 30+ years ago, (we did), would have a mental picture of 'how it might be' without the usual growth that an inviting clime offers, and would wonder where everyone 'went', seeing it then vs now.

I get that the full timers and permanent residents, (many of whom seem to be transplants from somewhere), would prefer 'summer situations' all year long, but those summer situations would be considerably different, and probably less 'serviced' at any level, without the throngs of seasonal people.

Just my 50Cts, and other than a winter season person, who pays considerable RE taxes, including schools, cops, FD, et al, (none of which I "use"), I really don't have a an arm wrestle with the situation.
GL, mD

Last edited by motordavid; 03-06-2014 at 06:02 PM..

Old 03-06-2014, 05:27 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,026 posts, read 6,540,797 times
Motordavid, you are usually the voice of reason on this thread, at least IMHO.

There is a guy in the SC (http://www.city-data.com/forum/myrtl...h-conway-area/) thread, PawleysDude, who anchors that thread much as you do this..... I sometimes wonder if you two are related? Or perhaps kindred spirits.....

Old 03-06-2014, 06:27 PM

10,229 posts, read 6,309,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
Indeed. That was two years ago. I wasn't as concerned with schools and such, that seemed so far away at the time with her only being two (time flies!).My daughter is now 4 (5 this year) and as we started doing more researcher aren't thrilled. Also my daughter, it seems, is very intolerant to the heat. She doesn't want to play outside May-Sept. We thought it was just an act for my husband and myself until she had a sleep over at a friends and we were asked if she was perhaps sick and that's why she didn't want to play outside. She genuinely doesn't like extreme heat. My husband and I also don't influence her by talking about it. Our tastes have changed, we want more for her than a retirement community.

Also my husband has since gotten is Assoc. And is onto his BA. His major (Finance/Economics) isn't really that huge here. He's looking into Financial Stock Market Ananlyst and for that we will need to be closer to a major hub.
Sweetbottoms, you daughter is just like me when I was a child. I could not take the heat. Didn't want to be outside in the sun or go to the beach. When I got old enough to go places myself, I spent my Summers in AC libraries, movies, or at ice rinks.

I constantly hear people say that when you get OLD you cannot take the cold. BS. However, you felt when you were young, you can double that when you get old. To those "old people" responding, I am 65 years old and weigh 100 lbs soaking wet. I have no "natural padding" but I am not shivering when it's below 70s degrees. My Snowbird neighbor is about DOUBLE my size and constantly freezing. She complains when her pool, not hot tub, goes below 95 degrees. 95 degrees??????? If I went in that pool, I would be covered in blisters. She puts her heat on when it's in the 60s outside. Whatever, woman. Skinny me, isn't like that at all, and I AM your age.

I have not changed my mind in 7 years. I have not "gotten used to it", but have found a solution. STAY INSIDE. RUN from AC car, to AC store, to AC home. That is how I live. Opposite sides of the same coin to living in the cold.

We came here for work, PERIOD, not weather. Just waiting until we can retire in a couple of years. Why stay here when our entire family is up North, and we (especially me) don't enjoy being here. Maybe we won't move back to NY (husband talking about NE Pa.), but unless we die first, it will not be here in Florida. Live it one day at a time.

Not going to get into the school situation, Sweetbottoms. You know I worked for the school district here. That could be another entire thread.

Good luck to you, your husband, and your daughter

Old 03-06-2014, 06:42 PM

10,229 posts, read 6,309,606 times
How Many Minimum Wage Hours Does It Take To Afford A Two-Bedroom Apartment In Your State?

Look at where Florida is relative to the "expensive COL States".

Old 03-07-2014, 09:01 AM

1,394 posts, read 2,087,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motordavid View Post
Interesting thread...
Otoh, if all the 'seasonal' population went to AZ or the moon, for a few years, vacating/selling their seasonal housing, their spending/sales tax, etc., the econ of much of FL would be a much different landscape and situation, imo.

Those 'still here' would have less crowded roads, restaurants begging people to come in, no/fewer old people driving dodge-em cars, and on and on...

But the RE tax base would be substantially changed, those fams with kids would be paying near private school pricing, (RE seasonal tax reduced by multiple), and the government misspending, at all levels, would have to misspend with a lot less dough.

Not suggesting the seasonal gang are a life saver or a panacea, but anyone that happened to waddle through 'Naples' 30+ years ago, (we did), would have a mental picture of 'how it might be' without the usual growth that an inviting clime offers, and would wonder where everyone 'went', seeing it then vs now.

I get that the full timers and permanent residents, (many of whom seem to be transplants from somewhere), would prefer 'summer situations' all year long, but those summer situations would be considerably different, and probably less 'serviced' at any level, without the throngs of seasonal people.

Just my 50Cts, and other than a winter season person, who pays considerable RE taxes, including schools, cops, FD, et al, (none of which I "use"), I really don't have a an arm wrestle with the situation.
GL, mD
The one upside to the recession was that it made life much more bearable in Naples, and FL in general, even during "season". My Orlando commute is taking 30-45 minutes longer this "season" than it has for the last 5-6 years, making it nearly 4 hours of pure aggravation every week. The drive home, while still more of a PITA than it was, is not nearly as bad, as I do it late at night and it takes almost an hour less than it does going up during the day.

I dread the summer here, but it can't get here soon enough this year.

At least the property values are going back up. The trick is gonna be getting out of here before the economy takes a dump again!

Last edited by Tripower455; 03-07-2014 at 09:51 AM..

Old 03-07-2014, 10:23 AM

1 posts, read 1,494 times
It's simple:

Florida is good for Retirees and trailer trash, and Latin immigrants. Seriously! If you aren't in one of those categories, you've got no business in the state.

Families have no business in Florida as the schools, crime, jobs, legal system, government, universities, are all subpar. If you really have to have Florida, take a vacation to Florida and then go back to a better state to live.

It's really that simple folks.

Old 03-07-2014, 12:03 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,087,806 times
Firing up the popcorn popper........

Old 03-08-2014, 09:35 AM

252 posts, read 370,952 times
Population of Naples is virtually unchanged in 15 years

Old 03-08-2014, 09:44 AM

1,640 posts, read 2,654,825 times
You know, the way some people trash-talk Naples on this forum, you'd think that it was some flat, boring, podunk town in middle of Iowa or Oklahoma.

This leads me to wonder if anyone on here has ever actually lived in a place like that...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples