Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 05:24 AM

3,848 posts, read 7,961,204 times

Advertisements

I'm not shocked. It's an HOA community in Naples. Pretty close to living under NAzi rule. This is my stomping grounds as a kid. I grew up in Four Seasons , attached to regent. That's when it was in it's prime , now it looks dumpy. Still people would come out screaming at kids for playing too loud or riding our bikes on the street. Between here and Lely saying kids can't play outside I see no reason why people continue to support these kind of communities other than they enjoy the bully aspect .

AOL.com Article - HOA tells cancer survivor to remove pink ribbon inside home
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2014, 08:17 AM

126 posts, read 269,661 times
There is more to this story:

"16 years ago, Naples, Florida resident Linda Karp successfully overcame her breast cancer diagnosis. Since then, the pink ribbon has been a symbol of great importance and meaning to her, so she displays it in the window of her home."

If it is, in fact, in the window and visible to the outside, I can agree this is unacceptable. That would be a loophole for any kind of advertisement - where would it stop?

Old 03-20-2014, 08:25 AM

A pink ribbon is not an advertisement. She beat cancer, she's proud if it. The town is so heartless that they care more about ascetics than the struggle this woman went through. And to beat it 16 years ago no less, when medicine isn't what it is today and chances were much lower. She's a survivor , which is more than can be said for the people on that HOA board. They're just bored.

Old 03-20-2014, 08:26 AM

1,394 posts, read 2,089,243 times
That, in a nutshell, defines the problem with HOAs, and the reason I will never be subject to one.

Who, in their right mind would even CARE if they can see a pink ribbon through someone's window? Besides, she's not even breaking the rules, since it's not a "sign, advertisement or poster", well, it's not to anyone with a brain.

This kind of idiocy should be illegal.

Last edited by Tripower455; 03-20-2014 at 08:56 AM..

Old 03-20-2014, 09:14 AM

126 posts, read 269,661 times
The pink ribbon may open a can of worms that it would be fine to display Pro-Life, Pro-Choice, Political affiliation symbol, Religious symbols, Gay rights flag, upside down American flag, things that would definitely be offensive to some in conservative Naples. By not allowing any of these symbols, there's no issue. If someone wants to march to the beat of their own drum, don't live in an HOA community!

Old 03-20-2014, 09:36 AM

The fact that a CANCER SURVIVOR hanging a CANCER AWARENESS ribbon can even be considered "marching to the beat of a different drum", or that "marching to the beat of a different drum" in itself, is somehow a bad thing, is the inherent problem with HOAs. I understand the "property value" argument, but a ribbon on the door is not gonna bring the property value down, nor is it likely to lead to billboards on every lawn.

Many of these communities remind me of army bases. Rows and rows of the same house, 3 feet apart. A little different drum marching would be a GOOD thing in most of these places.

There are actual problems in the world. A cancer awareness ribbon in someone's window is not one of them.

Old 03-20-2014, 09:58 AM

9 posts, read 16,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InPlaneSight View Post
The pink ribbon may open a can of worms that it would be fine to display Pro-Life, Pro-Choice, Political affiliation symbol, Religious symbols, Gay rights flag, upside down American flag, things that would definitely be offensive to some in conservative Naples. By not allowing any of these symbols, there's no issue. If someone wants to march to the beat of their own drum, don't live in an HOA community!

Old 03-20-2014, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InPlaneSight View Post
Wow you sound like one of them.. ... Having an abortion and having cancer aren't even close.. One is a choice.

Old 03-20-2014, 12:01 PM

6 posts, read 19,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
Wow you sound like one of them.. ... Having an abortion and having cancer aren't even close.. One is a choice.
I don't agree fully with either side of this discussion, especially saying someone may be "brainless" for expressing a difference of opinion or enforcing established rules and saying someone may be "one of them" used negatively. Living in a community with an HOA that has established rules (when you moved in) is a "choice" also. Abide by the rules of the community, or move.

Old 03-20-2014, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry34119 View Post
I don't agree fully with either side of this discussion, especially saying someone may be "brainless" for expressing a difference of opinion or enforcing established rules and saying someone may be "one of them" used negatively. Living in a community with an HOA that has established rules (when you moved in) is a "choice" also. Abide by the rules of the community, or move.
Not all rules are "established" when you move in. They can, and do change at the whim of the current brain trust in charge.

My folks have been heavily involved in their HOA for decades. Hearing about their experiences is like watching a "reality" tv show (only less "realistic", if that's even possible), and has cured me of ever wanting to deal with that nonsense. Not to mention paying for the privilege!

As soon as you make a petty rule, there will be a petty person trying to enforce it, and you end up with the idiocy that started this thread. A ribbon is not a "sign, advertisement or poster", and, therefore, not against the rules, yet, the HOA is attempting to use those rules to force her to remove..... a cancer awareness ribbon.

IMHO, life is too short to constantly worry if my garage door has faded from the proper shade of white,

or if my garbage cans have been out 5 minutes longer than allowed,

or that my couch (that can be seen if you stand on the hood of your car parked in exactly the right place) is the "wrong" color,

or my garage door is open too long,

or if I'll get caught checking the oil on my car,

or that the 3.5 palm trees required to be planted exactly 2 feet apart and 6 feet from my correctly hued front door are of the correct genus,

etc. etc. etc.

Life's too LONG to worry about the same nonsense of my neighbors.

Just my humble opinion......

Last edited by Tripower455; 03-20-2014 at 12:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
View detailed profiles of: