Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2014, 08:56 AM

4 posts, read 5,773 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

Would appreciate some input into moving to the Naples area. I've been in North Miami/Broward for a couple years now and with real estate bubbling over again, the place is getting more crowded by the year. This just multiplies ten-fold the number of rude, inconsiderate folk in the area. (The so-called Miami lifestyle, which I've been told charges a "premium" for living here, provides little of what I personally consider important). With more people also come more traffic and pollution.

In short, I'm looking to up and move in search of a more sedate area with more courteous, cultured people.

I am also considering other parts of Florida such as the Space Coast or the Tampa areas though I've yet to scout them out. I'm even thinking of San Diego (since I lived in Cali for almost 15 years, most of it in the SF-Bay Area. I must say I miss the seasons. In S. FL. there's only hot and unbearably hot, although I'm sure SW FL is no help in that regard).

Nothing beats visiting, of course --and I will do that soon-- but I'm looking for comments on whether you would recommend a move here. If not, why not?
And where would you suggest I start looking?
How about Ft. Myers and Sarasota? Tampa and Space Coast comparisons are also appreciated.

I'm a single, active, white female, in my 50s, well-traveled, w/post-graduate education and steady income. I've no kids, no pets (although I love animals and I'm interested in wildlife preservation). That is, I'm not looking for the kinds of things that interest families, such as good schools. Hope also to continue traveling cross-country and internationally.

Many thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2014, 12:05 PM

543 posts, read 702,809 times
I am not a well traveled person at all, but since no one seems to want to answer I will tell you that it is the most crowded place I've ever been. Especially "in season", after Christmas through April. But since most people are not from here, everyone is friendly. Everyone wants to be in paradise, so it's getting more crowded every year. I think this horrible winter may be the last straw for many Yanks who have the opportunity to move South, and SW Fl. will absorb many of them.

Old 03-29-2014, 12:14 PM

48,121 posts, read 21,999,038 times
We moved to Ft Myers from Maine. We had previously lived in San Diego County (Vista) California. We've been here for almost 2 years now and we love it. It does get a bit busy during high season....but it hasn't been a problem. We like SW FLorida much much more than S California. It is pretty hot and humid in July and August and part of September.....but most of the year....the temps are pleasant. I can discern that we actually do have seasons....just not spring, summer, fall, winter like up north....but the vegetation and flowers change in progression with the two major seasonal changes....as do the birds we see.

We haven't run into any of the rude, inconsiderate people that you reference in your area. People are friendly and helpful. I think you might like it here.....good luck to you.

Old 03-31-2014, 01:05 PM

3,418 posts, read 7,787,713 times
What is your housing budget?

Old 04-02-2014, 09:38 PM

Cvap, thanks very much for your reply. I appreciate that you point out how crowded the area gets during high season. I'm concerned that the baby boomers will be retiring in the next decade or two, and many will likely find their way into the state. Add to that the snowbirds from the US and Canada, and even from the UK. As you noted, this crazy winter must have persuaded many that it's time to take off for warmer shores.

Old 04-02-2014, 09:39 PM

Elston, thank you very much for your input. I'm glad you found Naples inviting despite the high-season throngs. From a couple visits there, I know I'd like San Diego's weather better. But the pics on this website also clearly show how lovely Naples is. The natural environment looks spectacular and the infrastructure appears to be in better shape than that of Southeast Florida, which is heaving with people.
And it helps a great deal that both visitors and residents are civil with one another.
No wonder so many want to move there.

Naples must have been stunning in the 80s and before.
The question is how well will it cope with a further influx of people.
Visiting in the off-season may have to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples