U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2014, 12:30 PM

1 posts, read 1,551 times

Advertisements

Just to give a bit of back ground...

I am going to graduate nursing school soon (associates- RN) and my partner works at GE in assembly and we have 2 boys. We are sick of the winters and need a change of scenery so we want to move to the Naples area, where my grandmother lives... We are aware of how expensive Naples is, so my question is, what are some affordable, family friendly neighbourhoods with decent schools districts in south west Florida. We wont be ready to purchase a house for a while, so we need an area where we can rent a decent house/apartment and still have enough money left to pay off debts etc. One more thing to consider is that we are not fancy people, we are ok with living modestly and know how to have fun on the weekends without spending a fortune. It is assumed that I will be the one to find a job first so we may be living off just my nurses salary for a while until the husband can land a manufacturing job.

Any advice is much appreciated, and if anyone has any questions about life in New England/ Vermont, feel free to ask me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2014, 10:13 AM

3,002 posts, read 5,079,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by al09250 View Post
Just to give a bit of back ground...

I am going to graduate nursing school soon (associates- RN) and my partner works at GE in assembly and we have 2 boys. We are sick of the winters and need a change of scenery so we want to move to the Naples area, where my grandmother lives... We are aware of how expensive Naples is, so my question is, what are some affordable, family friendly neighbourhoods with decent schools districts in south west Florida. We wont be ready to purchase a house for a while, so we need an area where we can rent a decent house/apartment and still have enough money left to pay off debts etc. One more thing to consider is that we are not fancy people, we are ok with living modestly and know how to have fun on the weekends without spending a fortune. It is assumed that I will be the one to find a job first so we may be living off just my nurses salary for a while until the husband can land a manufacturing job.

Any advice is much appreciated, and if anyone has any questions about life in New England/ Vermont, feel free to ask me!
What do you consider affordable? VT affordable and Naples affordable aren't in The same ball park.

Expect to pay around $2000 + for a home (rental) in a semi decent area. Closer to $2400 for a "decent" area. You'll most likely end up in Golden Gate Estates or East Naples. Neither are particurly desireable because of their location far from the beach. Golden gate estates will have less in the ways of what you need without a drive (15-20) off season. Double in season (Nov-May). North naples or city of naples are most desirable with the best schools.

Pay is low housing is high, you will most likely get paid significantly less here than there ( I would assume) . We found the same issues living in NH as here, although in long term pay was higher here than Keene. As for apts I wouldn't set ur budget anytbing less than $1100 for a 2 bed, $1500 for a 3. $900 and below is section 8 housing and income restricted. You could possibly have some luck with a private renter getting that a bit lower but don't count on it. We pay $1000 for a 2 bed and that's low cause I know the owner and got a deal.

Ur next bet is to try Estero, which I wouldn't go any farther north of. Ft. Myers has been filled with crime lately. The problem with Estero is you have to deal with Lee County school systems which is a lottery. You don't get to choose which school ur kid goes to. You have to bid on a school with ur first second and third choice and hope they get one.

I wouldn't recommend this area for someone with kids and one income unless u plan on making at least over $20-25 an hour. You're gonna be on a tight tight budget in these parts.

Also consider what your budget will be for a or at home. Plan on $280,000-$300,000 + for an older starter home, smallish with a smaller lot. Prices are going up FAST , most homes have been eaten up now by investors jacking up prices to turn a profit. We will be heading toward pre- housing bubble prices much faster here than other parts (by pre bubble I mean $375,000 for a starter ) this is not a starting out family friendly place for those with a budget. Most people here are establish or seasonal.

Last edited by Sweetbottoms; 04-21-2014 at 10:50 AM..

Old 04-21-2014, 11:02 AM

23 posts, read 37,174 times
Default Housing in SWFl

First, go to Craig's List and look at housing. You know what your needs are and I was surprised at the number of apartments that are 3 bedrooms an under $1200 a month. You'll decide upon your lifestyle and my living in GGE does not hamper my beach excursions or whatever else we want to do. If there are other questions you have, post them here. The people who are on this site are very knowledgeable, helpful, and maybe at times, a little out there. But hey, the live in Paradise and can be the way they want to be.

Good luck.

Old 04-21-2014, 11:49 AM

3,002 posts, read 5,079,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronniewheels View Post
First, go to Craig's List and look at housing. You know what your needs are and I was surprised at the number of apartments that are 3 bedrooms an under $1200 a month. You'll decide upon your lifestyle and my living in GGE does not hamper my beach excursions or whatever else we want to do. If there are other questions you have, post them here. The people who are on this site are very knowledgeable, helpful, and maybe at times, a little out there. But hey, the live in Paradise and can be the way they want to be.

Good luck.
I'd like to know where these are.. Laguna Bay is 2 beds at $1216 a month nothing included (not even washer and dryer) 0asis is 2 beds at $1100. Belvedere is over $1000 and Amberton is over $1100. Homes are certainly not under $1500 and if they are you probably don't want to be renting them (probably anything under 2 grand) we just had another poster asking about this and I believe a real estate agent had commented on prices being what I had just given spot on. If there are 3 beds for the price u claim then there is a reason. Just a quick pop into Craigslist the first listing for a 3 bed condo comes at $1980.. The Next two a duplex and home come in at $1800 and $2300

Old 04-24-2014, 06:56 AM

2,465 posts, read 5,736,797 times
A new grad nurse will start at about $22/hour so plan on living with that budget.

There is no "manufacturing" in Naples, at least not to the extent you are probably thinking/hoping, except maybe Arthrex.

SB is correct in her housing assessment.

What part of town does grandma live? Can you stay with her until you get established?

Old 05-02-2014, 07:48 AM

15 posts, read 14,579 times
We are renting a 3BR 2BA house (in the process of relocating from PA) for $1400. with a fenced in yard, and in-ground pool. We looked for months, researched the area's, and while we are not completely familiar with really anything around here, we like the house, it is close to schools, couple miles from beach and lots of necessities close by.

Old 06-19-2014, 03:50 PM

3 posts, read 2,842 times
I know this is an older post, but if it's not too late I would like to give my input. My husband and I live "modestly" in Naples. It's true, this city is expensive and revolves around wealthy retirees that live here between 3-6 months per year. However, we currently rent a single family home (3 bedrooms/1 1/2 baths) in central Naples (zip code 34103) for $1050 per month. Not too bad in my opinion.

Our neighborhood is older, but well established (no hoa's) with much diversity in homes types, people and options. Also, we happen to fall into a wonderful school district. You just have to do your homework. I would suggest craigslist searches. We found our current rental just driving by. And before this home, we rented a 1 bed/1 bath cottage for $950 a few streets over. Don't be discouraged! Renting in Naples is feasible, in my opinion buying will become harder as time passes. Prices are steadily increasing. Anything under $200,000 moves quickly, often with multiple offers.

Old 06-19-2014, 07:01 PM

3 posts, read 2,842 times
The best money saving tip I would give anyone coming to Naples as a renter would be to wait until the summer months to enter into a rental agreement. Most of the condo/apartment rental communities lower rent by at least $100 during the summer "off" season.

Old 06-21-2014, 10:36 AM

1 posts, read 969 times
I'm an RN, retired now,& moved from CT. With my husband 16 years ago.We have lived in a community called Waterways of Naples for all of the 16 years. There are 3 schools next to the community on Oil Well rd. The nearest Publix is 7 mi away on Immokolee rd.

We love the community & most of the homes are on lakes & have pools. There is a community pool & clubhouse & the HOA fees aren't too high.

The most affordable homes in Naples are East of I-75.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples