U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2014, 05:31 PM

24 posts, read 22,561 times

Advertisements

Husband and I are no longer working and are "young" 60 year olds. Due to health issues, we need warmer weather. We are beach bums and we would love to go to the beach year round and have our own pool. Former world champion swimmers. Mostly we are moving there to help out my father-in-law.

We have vacationed for months over many years in Sanibel, but due to new flood guidelines do not think we can live there permanently--this will be our only house. And we can only deal with a one story house.

We dislike Spanish style houses that look like mausoleums, and don't care for tiled roofs. We need to be close to beach, and to shopping, but have a large, private lot.

We can take the heat, will miss the seasons. Yes, we loved NJ. We even like NYers!!!!!!!

Can we survive the Midwesterners in Naples? Especially if we don't play golf? Even if we talk too fast?

It seems like every neighborhood we look in is gated. With RULES RULES RULES. I have some money, I am well educated, I am considered a kind person and helpful neighbor. Yet it seems when I talk with people in Naples they think I am nuts. For instance, I have a VERY expensive manatee mailbox but would have to instead use a cheap one that the whole neighborhood association makes me use. I like beachy style things. Perhaps I would like to paint my door turquoise but even that has to be approved which is really nuts IMHO.
i don't believe in obnoxious looking fences nor underground, electric fences, yet neighborhoods don't want me to put up a gorgeous fence even if I back onto a preserve to keep my dogs in my backyard and keep other critters out? I love holidays. Can I even put up Christmas lights? I am a designer for wealthy folks, among other things, so I am not going to have obnoxious decorations, but still I am seen as a nut. I am not Jewish yet one realtor told me that his homeowner's association even just approved that you could have a menorah!!!!!!! Are they living in the dark ages? How prejudiced are they?

We don't want to be the only people without young children, nor do we want to be in a retirement area, nor do we want to be in an area where we are the only permanent residents and everyone else is a snowbird. We have to be near shopping (Whole Foods) and the beach. Sadly we understand due to flood zones that we won't be able to walk to the beach. We would love to drive around and see holiday boat parades. We would love to be able to see Broadway shows, concerts, etc.

I think we want to be in N. Naples, do we? Imperial Golf Estates? Wilshire Lakes? Any help would be so much appreciated. No attacks please, and many thanks.

Old 04-21-2014, 05:49 PM

124 posts, read 242,565 times
Not sure what your budget is but have you looked at Pine Ridge Estates?
Seems to match your criteria.

Old 04-21-2014, 06:05 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
2,828 posts, read 4,353,379 times
I am a NJ liberal who loves Naples, lives in a gated N. Naples community with an HOA and HOA rules. About the only thing I don't like about the area is the politics. If we get enough of us here, maybe that will change......

Old 04-21-2014, 06:45 PM

Default Thank you 14 Homes!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The14Homes View Post
Not sure what your budget is but have you looked at Pine Ridge Estates?
Seems to match your criteria.
That is an "almost" genius idea. You are right on target though, our budget is the problem. It seems like we would be paying for the land as most of the homes we could afford are advertised as "tear downs."

We would also want one of the homes there on city water. The big plus of course is that we could have an outdoor shower, put up a fence for the dogs, etc.

I'm also not sure we need that much privacy. Some of the homes in Imperial Estates are on almost an acre.

Perhaps I will compromise and go with a home that's in more of a neighborhood.

Also is it dangerous to live in a non-gated community?

Because we'd like money left over to remodel some things, we could spend a million but I think we are looking more in the $600,000's. We have sold one of our homes at the beach and we don't have to sell the one we are in to buy one in Naples. Also we can stay at my father-in-law's place while we do construction if needed.

There are no larger (one third of an acre or more) lots left I guess in N. Naples? I would love to design and build my own house as I have done before.

Thanks so much for answering. Have you ever considered being a buyer's agent?

Best to you, your husband and sons.

Old 04-21-2014, 06:47 PM

Default Let's change the politics!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmozer View Post
I am a NJ liberal who loves Naples, lives in a gated N. Naples community with an HOA and HOA rules. About the only thing I don't like about the area is the politics. If we get enough of us here, maybe that will change......
Thanks so much. Maybe I'm too much of a "character" for an HOA? LOL.

Don't laugh. I told my current mayor (mayor of one of the largest cities in the US) that I would have to run for office if I moved to FL and asked for an endorsement letter already!

Glad to hear from you and glad you are happy.

Old 04-21-2014, 08:55 PM

123 posts, read 183,560 times
Childless, middle-aged, non-golfing midwest liberals here building a home in a gated North Naples community right now. We are looking forward to living there.

Old 04-22-2014, 06:53 PM

112 posts, read 209,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InPlaneSight View Post
Childless, middle-aged, non-golfing midwest liberals here building a home in a gated North Naples community right now. We are looking forward to living there.

Childless, middle-aged, non-golfing PA/NJ/NY liberals here. When you get here let me know! Good luck with the house.

Old 04-22-2014, 07:37 PM

8,965 posts, read 4,790,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmozer View Post
And it begins...

Old 04-22-2014, 10:41 PM

35 posts, read 34,944 times
Hey there

NJ liberal moving down there next month, this housing thing is driving me nuts. I am renting and wish i could just buy right now but dont want to be in the wrong area. I like north naples, perahps might save money and find a roomate situation for 6mths, before settling. Any thoughts? These apartment buildings scare me and they are not that cheap. Would I be better in Winterpark area? I am 35 but like slow pace, love golf, love the ocean. Naples seems right up my core, and economy seems healthy, especially in restaurants where I will first working. I am getting certified to teach science but teaching jobs in collier not so evident, perhaps lee county has more
any advice
thanks and good to know i will not be alone. You are a young 60, I think I am an old 35 (Haha---rather play golf and tennis and do yoga than sit at a desk all day Thus going to do personal training on side with emphasis on yoga and pilates (certified in both)
OKay I am rambling because I am getting nervous about moving; Good Luck

Old 04-23-2014, 08:48 AM

3,846 posts, read 6,869,162 times
Formerly spent decades in NYC and the area, but in living 12 years in the mtns of western NC, and 9 winter seasons here in SW FL, I don't recall one's 'politics' being much of an issue.

We have friends and good friends of every persuasion, (and I mean every), and while we may not agree on everything, it is simply a casual/current events/news type of chit chat, wherein the political topic comes up with any frequency.

Maybe it is due to our different friends groups, as most of us are retired, glad to be alive and not basing friendships on who voted for whom...fwiw, I am not a fan of most/nearly all elected politicos, and my friends are aware of that.

I am reminded that common interests and developing friends is seldom based on one's 'politics' or 'religion', but maybe others have that as a potential issue.

SW FLA is a big, heavily populated area, and even where one lands, the communities are so populated that none of us wear arm bands or signs about liberal or conservative or...
My 50 Cts.
GL, mD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples