U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2014, 01:59 PM

24 posts, read 22,536 times

Advertisements

Hi all. I am moving to Naples, and unlike most of the people there with whom I have spoken, my husband and I plan to be at the beach every day.

However, I have many autoimmune issues and lung issues so want to be sure that before I move there that I can actually be in the Gulf and on the beach daily.

Have there been any recent reports about Red Tide in your area or about the deadly bacteria which has killed healthy young adults in parts of FL?

Thank you in advance!!!!!!!!!!!!

the mermaid
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2014, 07:45 AM

5,126 posts, read 9,448,003 times
Default the deadly bacteria which has killed healthy young adults in parts of FL?

I missed this, can you provide me some info where healthy people are dying after going swimming.

Old 04-30-2014, 09:20 AM

123 posts, read 183,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
I missed this, can you provide me some info where healthy people are dying after going swimming.
Right here.
Saltwater Bacteria In Florida Infects 31 Statewide With 10 Fatalities

Old 04-30-2014, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InPlaneSight View Post
Thanks for the info, this is good to know. After reading the article it appears Lee County had one fatality. It also affecting the other gulf states and also said someone from Arkansas died in fresh water. Looks like most of the people that are getting sick had open wounds or cuts and their immune system wouldn't kill the bacteria.

Old 04-30-2014, 04:30 PM

24 posts, read 22,536 times
Default Bacteria still a problem. What about RED TIDE?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
Thanks for the info, this is good to know. After reading the article it appears Lee County had one fatality. It also affecting the other gulf states and also said someone from Arkansas died in fresh water. Looks like most of the people that are getting sick had open wounds or cuts and their immune system wouldn't kill the bacteria.
At the time I read many other articles after seeing this all over the tv news in the NE USA. There were different reports depending on whether you were wanting to see FL tourism flourish and therefore downplay this; or whether you were from the Centers for Disease Control and not sure yet of your position.

Even for the news article you read, the man who died had no immune problem and no cut. Others who died may have had a cut that they didn't even realize they had like a scrape from a bike, a nick from shaving. My girlfriend who lives in Boca Raton tells me that kids, etc. who swam in the intercoastal no longer do so and that families were pretty hysterical about this at the time.

This seems to be a fairly new phenomenon due to global warming. I believe it is more likely, as I believe Red Tide is, in Lee County where many rivers, estuaries and run-off water is more common.

Hey Jersey Man, lift a glass to Lavallette for me!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-30-2014, 05:20 PM

3,002 posts, read 5,082,313 times
Red tide is a common occurance here, some years worse than others. Your eyes will burn ur throat will itch, you'll cough if u are close to the beach. I live roughly 2 1/2 miles from the beach and I am affected strongly when it comes around. We also get a strong dead fish smell from all the aquatic wildlife that washes ashore and rots in the summer heat.

Warnings are put out for those with compromised breathing issues or autoimmune issues that affect the lungs to limit outdoor exposure. It is also not recommended to go in standing water like after rains. "Brain eating" amoebas are present . We had a child in SWFL die just last year. We live on built up swamp lands. We have a lot of dangerous things here. It's for some and not others. Honestly we've had more of a problem of the gators swimming along the beaches and the pythons eating everything in site more than the bacteria issues

Old 04-30-2014, 09:50 PM

Default more of a problem of the gators swimming along the beaches and the pythons eating everything in site

Love this. I grew up on a chromium dump site in Jersey City and swam in the Hudson River and ate the fish and crabs that were supposedly contaminated. People that smoke don't bother me and certainly the water isn't going to bother me. I'm still kicking and almost 60, a little kooky but still all there.

Old 05-01-2014, 05:11 PM

3,840 posts, read 6,859,937 times
Net Search is full of links on topic for Naples & surrounds...a few:
Red Tide Information for Southwest Florida

Red Tide - Statewide Status

Red Tide | Naples | Florida Beaches

GL, mD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples