Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2014, 02:35 PM

20 posts, read 36,532 times

Advertisements

How risky is it to swim in the sea. We are planning to move here but this is scary. Is this for real? Should I be worried if my kids wants to get in the water?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2014, 06:54 AM

121 posts, read 211,661 times
I would be MUCH more concerned about the pesticides the Collier Mosquito Control District is spraying from the air than I would be the potential for flesh eating bacteria. We're moving out of Naples because of our concern for the health of our seven month old.

Old 06-20-2014, 07:40 AM

3,845 posts, read 7,912,758 times
That is only a SLIGHT possibility for people who are very sick and have compromised immune systems. Millions of people come every year and are just fine. I'm sure you're going off the article the NDN just printed two days ago.. If people read it correctly it said it was only a possibility, not a probability and again reiterated it was for a concern for people with cancer, diabetes etc

Old 06-20-2014, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DChapman36 View Post
I would be MUCH more concerned about the pesticides the Collier Mosquito Control District is spraying from the air than I would be the potential for flesh eating bacteria. We're moving out of Naples because of our concern for the health of our seven month old.
I have not had a single spray over at my house in probably 15-20 years... As kids I can remember huge bomber jet planes flying so close they'd brush the treat tops. Imagine those in North Naples, those days are gone. They spray remote areas of Collier now with very little population. We thought it cool to go out in the "fog". You'd much rather than spray than not, then you'd be moving over concerns of the diseases the mosquitos would give your kid.

Old 06-21-2014, 02:41 AM

*edit* Apparently my links don't work because this account is new. You'll need to cut and paste them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
I have not had a single spray over at my house in probably 15-20 years... As kids I can remember huge bomber jet planes flying so close they'd brush the treat tops. Imagine those in North Naples, those days are gone. They spray remote areas of Collier now with very little population. We thought it cool to go out in the "fog". You'd much rather than spray than not, then you'd be moving over concerns of the diseases the mosquitos would give your kid.
Thank you for taking the time to share your opinion Sweetbottoms, I appreciate it. Various things:

1. Unless you live in an outlying area of Collier County, you get sprayed every single year. They just do it at 2am when most people are asleep. It's AMAZING to me just how few people in Collier County actually know when they're being sprayed. You can see when and where they're spraying here: http://71.16.167.68/mapvision/cmcd

2. The Collier Mosquito Control District (CMCD), until recently, sprayed two pesticides. Zenivex, a synthetic pyrethroid, and Dibrom, an Organophosphate. As part of my work, I realized that they were spraying Zenivex illegally. They have now suspended use of that pesticide. Yes, they were spraying people and animals in violation of the label.

3. They still spray the organophosphate, Dibrom. The problem is, organophosphates have been implicated in many studies in humans to have developmental neurotoxicity issues. They may be reducing the IQ and cognitive abilities of our children and causing nervous system issues like ADHD. See these studies as an example:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21507776
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21507778
http://ehp.niehs.nih.gov/1003160
http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/early/2010/05/17/peds.2009-3058.full.pdf+html

4. The EPA mandates that when Dibrom (yes, the EXACT pesticide they use, nothing different about it) is sprayed in agricultural fields, that workers CANNOT reenter the area for 48 hours after they've sprayed unless they have respirators and protective clothing. The way they spray ag fields is with big droplets so it hits the plant. Yet the very same day when the CMCD sprays dibrom, our kids are out playing it in. But the CMCD sprays in a way where they use very fine droplets to it stays suspended in the air. Problem there is, studies have found when you breathe in organophosphates, they are 20 times more toxic. So our kids are playing in an invisible aerosol that is 20x more toxic and 155lb agricultural workers are protected. I've asked the CMCD to explain that one to me and they can't.

5. While West Nile Virus is a serious disease everyone should be aware of and take precautions against, it is overblown by the media in my opinion. As the Center for Disease Control states here: http://www.cdc.gov/westnile/symptoms/ -- 70-80% who get West Nile never even know they have it. A small percentage will get flu like symptoms. Less than 1% will get very sick. And those 1% are invariably people with compromised immune systems who would get very sick if they got the flu, pneumonia, or whatever.

As for Dengue, the other primary disease of concern, due to the habits of the primary vector mosquito in this area, Aedes Aegypti, aerial adulticide spraying doesn't work for them. The Keys Mosquito Control District readily admits this so are trying to get approval to release sterile males instead.

When I take my son outside this time of year, we have a mosquito net over his stroller. It's about personal responsibility, not carpet bombing neurotoxins from the air.

This is all the tip of the iceberg when it comes to the Collier Mosquito Control District. I have uncovered a lot of lies and extreme lack of ethics on the part of their organization. I fear them MUCH more than flesh eating bacteria. Considering the fact that the pesticides they spray potentially impact the nervous system of my child who I love more than anything and I can't so much as trust them to follow the label of these pesticides, yes, I am moving.

Old 06-21-2014, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
Just to make sure you see this:

1. Click on this: http://71.16.167.68/mapvision/cmcd/

2. At the right side, you will see the dates they have sprayed so far this year (the spray season is just starting). Double-click on June 12th.

3. See the area they highlighted? That is everywhere around the Naples Airport. That is not the remote areas of Collier. That is extremely high density housing.

4. They use aerial bombers like you speak of and occasionally helicopters.

No, those days you speak of are not long gone. They're just much better at hiding it.

-- David

Old 06-21-2014, 09:47 AM

20 posts, read 36,532 times
What happens if you just avoid going in you back yard for a couple of days when you know you have been sprayed?

Old 06-21-2014, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mar_mdq View Post
What happens if you just avoid going in you back yard for a couple of days when you know you have been sprayed?
That's a good question and many variables come into play. Let's assume they spray Dibrom, the Organophosphate.

1. Your house breathes. The droplets they spray are EXTREMELY small. The likelihood that some get into your house is high. How much? I have no idea. All of this began for me last summer when I lay in bed, heard the planes go over, and a few minutes later had stinging eyes and trouble breathing. I turned over in bed, looked at my sleeping, very pregnant wife, and wondered if it was affecting her and my unborn child. My windows and doors were closed.

I asked the lead researcher at CMCD how much gets into houses and they have no idea. They also have no idea how fast it breaks down when it does get into houses. The thing is, this stuff breaks down fastest in water. Then soil. Then sunlight. Your house probably doesn't have any water, soil, or sunlight to help this stuff break down. As such, it may hangout in your house for a longer duration. Do you have dogs like I do going in and out all day long that would bring the stuff back in with them? Studies have found that houses of agricultural workers have much higher than normal levels of pesticides because the workers bring it in with them.

2. Let's say you do wait those two days. The only problem is, in sunlight, the halflife of Dibrom is around two days. What that means is, after two days, about half of the Dibrom is still around. What has happened to the other half? Well, that's another one of the CMCD district's dirty little secrets. Once Dibrom DOES begin to break down, what is the first thing it breaks down into? Something safe? Actually, an even worse Organophosphate pesticide called Dichlorvos which you can read about here: http://extoxnet.orst.edu/pips/dichlorv.htm. This stuff is NASTY. So after two days in sunlight, around half of the Dibrom is still around and half of it is now Dichlorvos which itself then needs to go through ITS' halflife.

Old 06-21-2014, 10:12 PM

Don't take my word on any of this though. My suggestion is you go to the next Collier Mosquito Control District meeting on June 24th at 10am: Collier Mosquito Control District, Board Meeting Schedule

During the public comment period, tell them some guy by the name of David Chapman (they'll know who I am...) said X, Y, and Z on a forum. How is he wrong?

Hopefully they can tell you how I'm wrong. Because every time I've asked them to their face, they've been unable to. Because make no mistake, I WANT TO BE WRONG.

Old 06-22-2014, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mar_mdq View Post
they spray it over your house, you'd have to not leave your house but even then it will get in. As you can see I didn't even know they still did it. I've been here 31 years and they used to use these huge bomber type planes, literally pictures would fall off the walls they would be so close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples