Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 09:54 AM

112 posts, read 308,542 times

Advertisements

Collier County has 40 public schools. The county has over 45,000 students--that's a lot of kids and a lot of young families. Does that sound like a retirement community? I live west of 41 in a small community of working people. Quite a few with school aged kids.
I love Naples, had only one day when the mosquitos were driving me crazy, have never seen a bear, a python, a panther or an alligator. My husband and I both work. My salary is lower here than up North but all of my bills are lower here so I am actually coming out ahead. Gas prices are higher and for some reason the price of meat. And the traffic even at it's worst is not as bad as NYC to Princeton, NJ or Princeton, NJ into Philadelphia. Is it perfect? No. Is it horrible? Definitely not. Is it a retirement community? Heck NO!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2014, 10:33 AM

3,848 posts, read 7,958,267 times
Cities in fla with the highest population of 65 and older..
#3 Naples
#2 Bradenton
#1 punta gorda

Is it a retirement community??? Yes
And it's ALWAYS been advertised that way. I've lived here 30 years and even when I lived up north and saw adverts for Naples it was for retirement. Infact they just tried to via for another retirement community to be build, they were just lookin for land but I believe NAples lost the running. I dunno what world one has to be living in to nt see the plethora of 55+ and over only communities in this town. As for schools here, yah let's not go into how GREAT they are . I do believe they had to change the heading system in the state just so most wouldn't fail. I wouldn't dare send my daughter to school here. Now with the introduction of common core, let see how fast they have rocha e the heading system again.

Old 07-09-2014, 10:50 AM

112 posts, read 308,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
Infact they just tried to via for another retirement community to be build, they were just lookin for land but I believe NAples lost the running.
I believe you are referring to the VA Hospital? A retirement community and a Government run much needed hospital for our veterans are two different things.

You've lived here for years but seem to use the City of Naples, Naples and Collier County interchangeably. I can't tell if you know the difference between them. You frequently use statistics about the City of Naples and then imply it's all of Naples or all of Collier County.

I get it. You're miserable. Good luck to you and your family. For real. I was unhappy when I lived in one city when I was about 30 and I remember the feeling. I hope NH or VT works out for you

Old 07-10-2014, 09:16 AM

3,417 posts, read 7,785,389 times
There is a balance here between what sb and mm are saying and to a large extent I agree with both posts.

The prices that sb posts and comments about the economy and employment are largely accurate. You may not want to hear it but that does not make it false.

I do agree that this is primarily a retirement community. The economy and political machine reflect this. That doesn't mean there are not kids and families-they are certainly here and many doing just fine-but the world here revolves around wintertime-when the tourists and snowbirds arrive. It is just the way it is.

Take a look at my post in this thread. It is old but still largely accurate. a lot of people found it helpful.

Now I'm scared to move to Naples!

Old 07-10-2014, 09:23 AM

3,848 posts, read 7,958,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMD3819 View Post
There is a balance here between what sb and mm are saying and to a large extent I agree with both posts.

The prices that sb posts and comments about the economy and employment are largely accurate. You may not want to hear it but that does not make it false.

I do agree that this is primarily a retirement community. The economy and political machine reflect this. That doesn't mean there are not kids and families-they are certainly here and many doing just fine-but the world here revolves around wintertime-when the tourists and snowbirds arrive. It is just the way it is.

Take a look at my post in this thread. It is old but still largely accurate. a lot of people found it helpful.

Now I'm scared to move to Naples!

Just this morning in the Naples Daily News

Home sale prices soar in Collier

Old 07-20-2014, 01:54 PM

4 posts, read 7,793 times
Glasses half full or half empty…you decide. Naples is a wonderful place to raise a family. Yes, there are expensive and non-expensive places to reside. The job opportunities are actually quite good IF you have a decent work ethic. Back to your original inquiry- St. Elizabeth Seton would be the most economical catholic school environment however, I would encourage you to do some research. I know of several families that have pulled their children out of the local private schools & enrolled them in the public school system only to find their children were sadly behind in curriculum and testing standards. The public schools in Collier County can be quite good if you reside in the North Naples area. If you are considering residing in East Naples or the Golden Gate areas then yes, I would look at the private school options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples