U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-16-2007, 11:02 AM

11 posts, read 47,921 times
Naples is great. I find that the people that hate it either can't afford it or are simply jealous of wealthier people. Grow up folks, as there will be somebody always richer than you. Either way, for you vacationers, I have a second home in Naples and find it to be packed with generally friendly people, great restaurants, shopping, and simply pure beauty. The summer months are the best months because the town is very quiet, actually boring at times.

Now I just have to wait for the bashers to take my opinion apart. There are loads of bitter Naples haters on these boards.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2007, 12:01 PM

672 posts, read 41,821 times
Default Only posters who LIKE it here can post?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunandsand View Post
The last two posters, one is in NH and one is in Mass. You sound like you both are cold weather folks. Why do you put post after post on the Florida forum?

We get it, you don't like Florida. Some of us love it, heat, humidity, and all.

If you paid me a million dollars to live in NH or Mass I would not take it. But I don't spend time posting on those forums telling people up there how awful their states are.

I totally miss why you would waste time bashing FL. Your gone, move on with your lives.
Well, I AM here and I HATE it. I suppose your comment would be, then LEAVE. Right? Well, because of circumstances, I CANNOT. If you paid me a million dollars, I would be outa here in a minute.

So, I guess I won't be qualified to post here either? I don't love Florida, let alone Naples.

Old 09-16-2007, 12:50 PM

672 posts, read 41,821 times
Default The Hamptons Wanna Be

Quote:
Originally Posted by uketrader View Post
Naples is great. I find that the people that hate it either can't afford it or are simply jealous of wealthier people. Grow up folks, as there will be somebody always richer than you. Either way, for you vacationers, I have a second home in Naples and find it to be packed with generally friendly people, great restaurants, shopping, and simply pure beauty. The summer months are the best months because the town is very quiet, actually boring at times.

Now I just have to wait for the bashers to take my opinion apart. There are loads of bitter Naples haters on these boards.
That is my impression. I could care less about the original. Why should I care about the copy?

If I really had a choice, I would not even vacation here, let alone live here year round. Just hoping the years until retirement pass quickly.

Old 09-16-2007, 02:56 PM

971 posts, read 2,564,940 times
I agree with you--a lot of these posts are ridiculous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunandsand View Post
The last two posters, one is in NH and one is in Mass. You sound like you both are cold weather folks. Why do you put post after post on the Florida forum?

We get it, you don't like Florida. Some of us love it, heat, humidity, and all.

If you paid me a million dollars to live in NH or Mass I would not take it. But I don't spend time posting on those forums telling people up there how awful their states are.

I totally miss why you would waste time bashing FL. Your gone, move on with your lives.

Old 09-16-2007, 03:28 PM

1,462 posts, read 116,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by INeedAChange View Post
I agree with you--a lot of these posts are ridiculous
Well we are here because we lived in Naples, we are giving our experiences of living there. Not all of us had good experiences. I did not grow up poor so I am not spiteful of Naples because I didn't have any money to "enjoy it" It was quite the opposite actually my family owned many stores in Naples and I lived a typical Nepolitan lifestyle. I STILL could not find the "beauty" of the town. I saw the greed and ugliness of some of its most prominet residents. I've dined with people who hosted parties for presidents and slept over houses of the most wealthiest families in America. All there was was greed and a great disregard for the working class folks.
I bowed out that lifestyle when I turned 18, completely stopped contact with those people and left that life behind. Not everybody can come on the Florida board and say YES its beautiful, its great, its cheap.. Cause its not. There has to be a balance of both.. Thats great your sick of hearing the bad,, I'm sick of hearing all the silverlined crud about that town.. If you can sit there and say its a wonderful town, its so pristeen and perfect then you obviously have not lived there long enough to know what Naples really was and you're probably part of the reason most of ended up hating the town for what it has become.

Old 10-14-2008, 09:33 AM

1 posts, read 7,809 times
Default moving to naples

i live in n.c. and have for 20yrs. nothing here cheap to live i guess but boring. i lived in stuart fla for 15 yrs. and really liked it growing up there. i am interested in naples my wife and i both will be working. i know housing is not cheap but that's fla. i also know that the traffic sucks as for any big city. as for the people the rich get richer and the poor get poorer. i think everybody has attitudes no matter where you live. what i would like to know is what is life like in naples other than that of i already know? and the red tide what is that? and how often does it occur? i would appeciate any feedback about moving there no bs. is it a decent place to live provided you can afford it?

Old 10-14-2008, 09:51 AM

1,381 posts, read 3,544,778 times
I no longer live in Naples, but loved it when I did. I lived in the city of Naples and found the style of life there excellent. I left when the surrounding area was being built out with gated communities. The traffic made the town uncomfortable. The one bad thing about an area with gated communities is that there are no through streets and the main arteries get backed up.
In the city I could walk or ride my bike to just about anything I wanted to do, shopping, beach, visit friends.

Red tide is an algae that is natural in warm waters. When it blooms in concentrated levels then the onshore winds will blow a toxin into the beach causing respiratory distress. The algae will also kill fish and marine mammals. During the 1990's I only remember one large out break of red tide by Naples. This decade has had several more out breaks.

Old 10-15-2008, 05:25 PM

2,060 posts, read 3,674,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by benztech View Post
i live in n.c. and have for 20yrs. nothing here cheap to live i guess but boring. i lived in stuart fla for 15 yrs. and really liked it growing up there. i am interested in naples my wife and i both will be working. i know housing is not cheap but that's fla. i also know that the traffic sucks as for any big city. as for the people the rich get richer and the poor get poorer. i think everybody has attitudes no matter where you live. what i would like to know is what is life like in naples other than that of i already know? and the red tide what is that? and how often does it occur? i would appeciate any feedback about moving there no bs. is it a decent place to live provided you can afford it?
There is nothing wrong with Naples provided you have realistic expectations.

We need more information in order to give better advice.

Housing budget, kids, career field, ages etc.

Some general advice:

Naples is a town for wealthy retirees run by wealthy retirees. The economy and political machine reflect this.

Do not, do not, do not move to Naples without a job or a wad of cash.

You also must have housing lined up.

Rent before you buy.

Old 10-17-2008, 06:22 AM

3,535 posts, read 5,479,789 times
I am in complete agreeance here. It's not only Naples anymore though, Lee county is just as bad. I left there a few weeks ago, I was in the job market for months(Feb-Sept) it was a joke. Thankfully I worked part time at my step fathers now sold restaurant until the last day it was closed on because of the poor economy. I came back up to MA after spending 14 years in FL which most were good years, I did like it there. I got a job here in 4 days!!! And there are many jobs in my area up here. It's a shame Florida is in such a hole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunofabeach View Post
What's it like to live in Naples? If you are not very wealthly and are still at an age where you must work to make a living then Naples is the absolute worst place you can move to. The job market is currently one of the worst in the nation and for every job there are hundreds and hundreds of people looking. You can go bankrupt in no time waiting for one interview even if you are very well qualified, and the pay is joke. You will also find that everyone is in the same business.. REAL ESTATE or RETAIL. There is no diversity as far as industry is concerned.

Naples is only a place for people to retreat to for 2-3 months and thats how the economy has been structured to reflect. If you can live comfortably only working 2-3 months out of year during season, then go for it, you will just be another foreclosure waiting to happen.

Old 10-17-2008, 06:59 AM

1,556 posts, read 2,632,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA70 View Post
I was in the job market for months(Feb-Sept) it was a joke.
Hey there "ChrisA70" (why the name change?).

Some "lack of success stories" end up being more about what someone didn't do, expectations they had, etc.

Just out of curiosity, doesn't Naples have "daily work, daily pay" places? If you show up at 6 a.m. they put you to work for that day and pay you at the end of the day, in cash. West Palm Beach has places like that. It's one of the benefits of it being a "right to work" state.

Also , did you try temp agencies? A couple well-paying jobs I had in West Palm Beach were originally acquired through a temp agency.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples