Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2014, 10:39 PM

351 posts, read 487,268 times

Advertisements

Can anyone share thoughts on Rhodora J Donohue Academy in Ave Maria?

My girls currently attend a classical learning charter school in MN. When we move down next summer, I would like to continue their classical education at least through 8th grade, at which point I would consider public high school. They are currently in 5th grade.

Donahue Academy piqued my interest since the curriculum aligns very closely with our current school. We will live in North Naples so it will be a 45-60 min bus ride to and from each day. The Academy is also one of the few affordable private schools in Naples, from what I can tell.

Any thoughts pro or con? We are also looking at First Baptist but the curriculum is very different. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2014, 08:10 AM

3,845 posts, read 7,917,566 times
Have you looked at Masen Classical Academy? Its much much closer, actually in town about 15 mins from North Naples. Ave Maria is an absurd way out of town and the road there isn't the safest. There's nothing out there at all, just Ave Maria and Immokalee, the migrant workers town.

Classical teaching I think is more or less new here, this is Masens first year. Private school is expensive in Naples, we had another poster saying our lowest costing schools are as much as her most expensive where she is.. I send my daughter to Monetssori and its a second mortgage worth, literally. I wouldn't dare send my daughter to public school in SWFL so for me its money well spent.

Old 08-24-2014, 11:13 AM

351 posts, read 487,268 times
Hi Sweetbottoms,

Thank you for your comments. Yes, I have looked at Mason. My kids were accepted there this past year but then I decided to delay our move for one more year (which I now regret, but that's another conversation). Mason will be awesome, no question about that. It's still #1 on my list of schools for my kids to attend but we have no guarantee of getting in next year. Also, their curriculum doesn't line up as cleanly with our current school as Donahue's does. That is why I am asking about Donahue.

I appreciate the feedback about the long drive. I thought it was a long way too when I drove it, but the school offers a bus option. I agree with your comments about the cost of private school tuition in Naples. There are not many options I am able to afford.

Old 08-24-2014, 05:48 PM

3,845 posts, read 7,917,566 times
I'm sorry I can't help you more I honestly didn't know Ave had a school like that out there. Masen would certainly be more ideal I couldn't imagine busing my daughter to practically Immokalee back and forth 5 days! In season it'll be MUCH more than 45 mins one way. Hopefully someone knows more that can help you. Private school is expensive for sure but like I said we'd never send our daughter to public here and I live within 10 mins of two of the top two in Naples but that doesn't mean much to me! We'll hire a private teacher to come to our home and home school if Montessori proved to not work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples