U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 06:38 AM

597 posts, read 805,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripower455 View Post
Welcome to FL.....

As I said before, the state is still struggling with this cutting edge technology called electricity.
Well, FPL is one of the more advanced power companies (per gov stats).But they are one of the top leaders in producing electricity from clean and renewable sources such as solar and wind. Maybe that is the problem....they can't keep up with the demand from the gazillion of homes being added and all the constant construction.

It is really making me think I want to leave Naples and not be surrounded by construction for years!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2014, 10:07 AM

841 posts, read 993,946 times
I have lived in Naples since 1987. In spite of FPL's cutting edge tech, momentary power outages (as well as not so momentary ones) are a normal phenomenon here. Wait until after a major storm and you're out of power for a week!

I was not joking when I said that I rarely bothered to reset my VCR clock when I still had one, since they are so common.

Like the completely moronic driving, it's all part of the "charm" of living in "paradise"!

Old 08-29-2014, 01:17 PM

597 posts, read 805,185 times
Quote:
I have lived in Naples since 1987. In spite of FPL's cutting edge tech, momentary power outages (as well as not so momentary ones) are a normal phenomenon here. Wait until after a major storm and you're out of power for a week!

I was not joking when I said that I rarely bothered to reset my VCR clock when I still had one, since they are so common.

Like the completely moronic driving, it's all part of the "charm" of living in "paradise"!

I am familiar with the week long power "vacations". I laughed out load at your comment about the "charm" of living in "paradise". LOL So true!

Old 08-30-2014, 07:42 AM
Status: "Retirement Countdown: 13 work weeks, then snowbirding in FL" (set 7 days ago)

1,219 posts, read 1,193,834 times
How common are whole house backup power generators in your area? Our electrical power is pretty reliable, but we thought about buying a generator. If I lived in an area with frequent or long power outages, I would absolutely get a generator right away instead of putting up with that annoyance. I already have several UPS units around the house for computers, TVs, and small lamps. The UPS units eliminate the small outage annoyances for those items. We are seriously thinking of buying a portable gasoline generator for the rare outages that can last for hours, but only happen every five years or less often.

We will be moving or snowbirding in Florida, southern California or Hawaii in five years. If we move to a place that has unreliable electric power, we would absolutely have a whole house natural gas or propane electric generator installed, plus own a smaller gasoline generator in case the main generator quit working. It might cost up to about $10K for a whole house natural gas or propane automatic switchover electric generator, but that's not that much money to invest to eliminate unreliable electric problem if it reoccurs frequently or can last for days.

Old 08-30-2014, 10:59 AM

I'm not sure how common whole house generator setups are, but they are not unheard of. We don't get real long outages that often, but we do get a lot (as in several times per week, especially in the summer) of what I term "nuisance" outages, that go from a few seconds to several hours.

Because of this, I decided to go with a 5500 watt portable generator that feeds my electrical panel. I had shunts installed when we built the house. I kill all the circuits, and turn on what I'm gonna use at the time. I can't run the whole house on it, and it won't run the stove or central AC, but it will run a window unit and lights without any issues. The biggest thing is that when running on a portable, you have to budget the time to various things, as you can't run too many high draw items at once. For example, at night, we run the 5000 btu window unit and a few light circuits. When everyone gets up, I typically run the chest freezer for a few hours, then switch to the fridge etc. After working outside all day, it's nice to shower, so I'll run the water heater for an hour or so, turn it off and turn on the well pumps.

About every 8-10 hours, I have to service the fuel and oil.

Overall, it's definitely more of a PITA than a whole house setup, but in almost 30 years here, I've had to do this about 4-5 times. Definitely not worth the cost of a whole house setup, IMHO.

Just being able to bathe and sleep in AC really takes the edge off a miserable situation.

Last edited by Tripower455; 08-30-2014 at 11:25 AM..

Old 08-31-2014, 09:43 PM

2,997 posts, read 5,078,322 times
This has been a particularly hot summer with heat indexes reaching 113-115 so we could just be having mini black outs when the system is over used.

Old 08-31-2014, 10:33 PM

We had the weekly 30 minute nuisance outage today.....

Old 09-03-2014, 03:50 PM

2,730 posts, read 1,554,080 times
Quote:
I'm not sure how common whole house generator setups are, but they are not unheard of. We don't get real long outages that often, but we do get a lot (as in several times per week, especially in the summer) of what I term "nuisance" outages, that go from a few seconds to several hours.

Because of this, I decided to go with a 5500 watt portable generator that feeds my electrical panel. I had shunts installed when we built the house. I kill all the circuits, and turn on what I'm gonna use at the time. I can't run the whole house on it, and it won't run the stove or central AC, but it will run a window unit and lights without any issues. The biggest thing is that when running on a portable, you have to budget the time to various things, as you can't run too many high draw items at once. For example, at night, we run the 5000 btu window unit and a few light circuits. When everyone gets up, I typically run the chest freezer for a few hours, then switch to the fridge etc. After working outside all day, it's nice to shower, so I'll run the water heater for an hour or so, turn it off and turn on the well pumps.

About every 8-10 hours, I have to service the fuel and oil.

Overall, it's definitely more of a PITA than a whole house setup, but in almost 30 years here, I've had to do this about 4-5 times. Definitely not worth the cost of a whole house setup, IMHO.

Just being able to bathe and sleep in AC really takes the edge off a miserable situation.
Thanks for the feedback. I was debating during my build to add in a 500 gallon buried propane tank + whole house generator but I figured I could pay for a lot of hotel nights + spoiled food + hassle by just using my 7500w generator or upgrade to a 17500w portable that will power at least the 3 ton AC.

On Long Island it has gotten ridiculous, with a week's outage during Irene and 9 days during Sandy, plus the odd winter storm outages. If anything I'm looking forward to FPL being more reliable than LIPA/PSEG has been.

Old 09-03-2014, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I was debating during my build to add in a 500 gallon buried propane tank + whole house generator but I figured I could pay for a lot of hotel nights + spoiled food + hassle by just using my 7500w generator or upgrade to a 17500w portable that will power at least the 3 ton AC.

On Long Island it has gotten ridiculous, with a week's outage during Irene and 9 days during Sandy, plus the odd winter storm outages. If anything I'm looking forward to FPL being more reliable than LIPA/PSEG has been.
LOL.... I moved here from LI in 1987 and was really surprised at how unreliable the electrical service is in comparison.

It is cheaper though!

Old 09-04-2014, 06:31 AM
Status: "Retirement Countdown: 13 work weeks, then snowbirding in FL" (set 7 days ago)

1,219 posts, read 1,193,834 times
I'm used to the electrical power being reliably functioning most of the time. Although, in recent years, the electrical power seem to be less reliable than past decades where I live. I've lived in Minnesota my whole life. If I had to live through one outage lasting for days, just once in my life, then I would absolutely buy a whole house generator. I would never ever want to repeat that type of bad experience. I haven't priced the larger generator systems. It sounds like it would take a 17.5 KW generator (or larger) to power a whole house including central AC and an electric stove. If had a whole house generator installed, I wouldn't want to have to ration power between the AC and the electric stove. I would want the generator sized correctly to avoid rationing. I wasn't aware that propane tanks could be installed underground, since I've always seen them above ground. How long can a generator run on 500 gallons of propane?

How much does electricity cost in Florida? It costs about 13 cents per KWH here, plus some junk charges. I've seen quite a few PV solar panels installed on rooftops, looking at homes with Google Earth. Since Florida is very sunny most of the days, I assume that PV grid-tied solar power would be popular there. What is the approximate number of payback years for a PV solar grid-tied system in Florida? Is a grid-tied PV system with a backup electric generator legal in Florida?

The payback time is about 8 to 10 years here in Minnesota for a grid-tied PV system. In Hawaii, the payback time is about 5 years since the cost of electricity there is extremely high, about 32 to 35 cents per KWH. Although the power utility in Hawaii limits the number of people installing PV solar in certain areas because the grid cannot handle the load. Are there any problems getting a grid-tied PV system installed in Florida? What about the risk of damage to the PV system from hurricanes? To me, a PV solar system makes strong economic sense, since the investment will payoff in 5 to 10 years, depending on the number of payback years in the area. Of course, there are probably areas that are too cloudy most of the time, making PV solar power not viable, that might increase the payback time to 20 years or longer. But I would never consider retiring in a area that was overcast and raining much of the year, that would be too depressing for me and would ruin my retirement years. If I planned to stay in Minnesota for another 10 years, then I would invest in a PV solar system here. But I doubt if I will be here much longer than 5 years, since I am so tired of putting up with the long and snowy winters here, unless I become a snowbird during the winters and live in Minnesota during the summers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples