U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-27-2008, 04:41 AM
 
Location: FL
1,916 posts, read 5,361,087 times
Reputation: 2020
I could have swore I responded to a Naples post JUST like this the other day. Sorry, I didn't read through the responses because after a couple- they seemed to be petty and bickering, so maybe I will repeat someone, maybe I won't....

I live in Naples, have two children, and am looking to get out. But unless you ask...I do not need to bother you with those reasons, but I will tell you that it is not because it's not good for my children, but other reasons.

People with children live, well, all over. East Naples, South Naples, North Naples....it's not like there is an area only zoned for children. Golden Gate Estates is supposed to be where most families will be living in the future, so that would be a good start. I do hear Naples Manor is rough, and I think it is called River Park that is called the "ghetto". I think the zipcodes are 34112 and 34113 that aren't too great, and I forget about 34114. 34120 and 34117 are the estates. 34104 is East Naples which have some good parts. 34116 is Golden Gate city which does have a lot of families, but it does also have some shady parts so I wouldn't really recommend there. 34110 and 34119 are North and for the majority are very nice, 34105 is kinda north...and I forget about 34108. 34102 and 34103 are west, nearer the beaches...but be careful of that River Park area. Lake Park isn't too bad- some shady streets, but overall, not too bad. Lake Park and River Park, Golden Gate estates and Golden Gate city are not community complexes with HOA's, they are just neighborhoods.

As for the education, I too work in the schools. I am a teacher, and have taught elsewhere in the US, so my speaking of education should hold some value. Yes, there are problems with the teachers and budget...but I will speak of what will affect your children (we have yet to see if that will, and we don't know how long those problems will last). I am sure there are better schools elsewhere in the US....but there are far worse, and I have taught in those too.

Our schools are great for technology. Part of me is afraid to leave the district because of how good they are for technology...which is what is out and about in this world today, and will be in our future. Each class has a min. of 6 computers, at my school we have 2 computer labs...the children have various computer programs to help them in subject areas (math, writing, reading, Spanish)...power points...you name it. I didn't have 1/4 what I have now- I think even less than that...in a previous school system. Many schools make gains...that's why my school is an "A" school and so are many others, and there are many "B" schools too. Just like any school district, you need to check out the statistics because even in the best school district in the world, I am sure there are schools that are in the slumps. I think this is a good school system for kids...there may be better, and there are SURELY a lot worse.

As for languages....quite honestly, all I would ever want my children to learn (as a parent) is Spanish. That is one of the main languages in the US today besides English, and if we are to believe what reports say will happen in the future to the US...that is the language they are to learn. French, German, Russian...unless my child is to get a specific job in the future where he needs one of those languages....is not important.

Yes, there are things to do for children, but there are things to do in other cities too. Does this stand out for children? No, but I can't really think of a city that stands out for children. We do have: parks, beaches, the pier, 2 water parks (one is smaller), a skate boarding park, two BMX bike parks, plenty of recreational sports to join at any of those parks (my chidlren have been in flag football, basketball and dogeball), various events at parks (Snow Day, Ice cream social or something like that- I didn't go), the Colleir Fair once a year, plenty of fishing and boating opportunities, movies, bowling, miniature golf, Pirate festival once a year (loved it! but then again, we won!), little plays for the children at the theater, a store called Cyber Ops where you pay $5 an hour and get to play XBOx360, Wii and Playstation 3, King Richards and i am sure there is more...and you can always travel a little bit to go to more stuff. Like I said, I am not moving out for the children. I am sure, if more families move in, like is predicted for the states, there might be more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-27-2008, 01:20 PM
 
Location: Naples
672 posts, read 6,977 times
Reputation: 63
Default You went to extremes with more than just weather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarastomsgirl View Post
K well you have your opinion I have mine, I'm not going to turn this into an arugment and get banned for something so stupid. I've lived in my new town for 6 months which can fit entirely in Naples Park and couldn't tell you everything you claim to know about Naples which covers collier county and is the second biggest county East of the Mississippi. . You haven't been there long enough I feel to really get a feel for the town to be able to tell someone not to move here. You're going off of a year 1/2 experience, I'm telling after 25 years experience. There is a big difference, and I feel you are unaware of where Naples has been and where it is now.. There is no comparison.

I'm also tired of people comparing Naples to Washing DC and NYC and Baltimore. You are talking HUGE major cities, of course you are going to have unlimited shopping , amazing entertainment, a variety of culture great schools and bad school. Not once school in Naples has bars on the windows or police with metal detectors patting down the kids as the enter, I'm sure thats not the same for bigger city schools. To even start to compare Naples to a city isn't even accurate. I could sit here and rifle off a million differences of Keene NH a population of 20,000 people when college is in session and Naples fl where I'm assuming a pop of over 300,000 or so... .. There are just too many people on here saying NO don't move and people are actually listening to them because they have nothing positive at all to say, not one thing about a town and its really sad. People are consistantly making naples out to be he-- and its NOT at all, its a very beautiful town with A LOT to offer for everyone of every age and race...

And as far as you having to remind yourself not in Mexico, thats just rude to say and offensive.

There is construction everywhere you go, I frequently go to Boston on the weekends and my GPS can't even keep up anymore, it has me taking u turns on blocked off streets. At least they are constructing it for the better and not knocking down crack houses.
with a "city" of 300,000 to a town of 20,000. The reason I say that is because the TOWN I lived in on Long Island had a population of 150,000. That is just one town out of a county of over 2,000,000. In all my previous posts I was not referring to Manhattan. You cannot compare Manhattan to Naples. Actually you cannot even compare the "city" of Naples to even the town where I lived, let alone all of Long Island.

Naples exists for wealthy retirees and snowbirds. Long Island exists for FAMILIES. Very little rental apartments even exist. You would be hard pressed to even find a 2 bedroom house. There are 3, 4, and even 5 bedroom houses and in Suffolk County most zoned with at least half acre plots. That is not for singles or retirees, but families. The entire culture is geared to young families. It can be a boring place for young singles or retirees. But there IS always Manhattan which is just a short trip on the LIRR. Manhattan is also there for paying JOBS and many, many people commute into the city for the higher paying jobs. My husband did that for many years when our kids were young. If you cannot find it on LI (most instances you can), you can go into the City.

FYI, they just announced the INTEL science winners. Long Island had 69 winners this year. That is just the island, not the entire state. LI has had the most winners every single year since the contest was started. How many winners did Naples have this year? That number for just LI beats the total number of winners for the entire states of Florida, California, Texas, and Illinois combined.

Apart from education, LI has much more going for it than little Naples, Florida, especially if you have a young family. Naples is for rich and the deluded wannabes and retirees and snowbirds. It is not for middle class families.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2008, 01:30 PM
 
548 posts, read 3,820 times
Reputation: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshvo View Post
I could have swore I responded to a Naples post JUST like this the other day. Sorry, I didn't read through the responses because after a couple- they seemed to be petty and bickering, so maybe I will repeat someone, maybe I won't....

I live in Naples, have two children, and am looking to get out. But unless you ask...I do not need to bother you with those reasons, but I will tell you that it is not because it's not good for my children, but other reasons.

People with children live, well, all over. East Naples, South Naples, North Naples....it's not like there is an area only zoned for children. Golden Gate Estates is supposed to be where most families will be living in the future, so that would be a good start. I do hear Naples Manor is rough, and I think it is called River Park that is called the "ghetto". I think the zipcodes are 34112 and 34113 that aren't too great, and I forget about 34114. 34120 and 34117 are the estates. 34104 is East Naples which have some good parts. 34116 is Golden Gate city which does have a lot of families, but it does also have some shady parts so I wouldn't really recommend there. 34110 and 34119 are North and for the majority are very nice, 34105 is kinda north...and I forget about 34108. 34102 and 34103 are west, nearer the beaches...but be careful of that River Park area. Lake Park isn't too bad- some shady streets, but overall, not too bad. Lake Park and River Park, Golden Gate estates and Golden Gate city are not community complexes with HOA's, they are just neighborhoods.

As for the education, I too work in the schools. I am a teacher, and have taught elsewhere in the US, so my speaking of education should hold some value. Yes, there are problems with the teachers and budget...but I will speak of what will affect your children (we have yet to see if that will, and we don't know how long those problems will last). I am sure there are better schools elsewhere in the US....but there are far worse, and I have taught in those too.

Our schools are great for technology. Part of me is afraid to leave the district because of how good they are for technology...which is what is out and about in this world today, and will be in our future. Each class has a min. of 6 computers, at my school we have 2 computer labs...the children have various computer programs to help them in subject areas (math, writing, reading, Spanish)...power points...you name it. I didn't have 1/4 what I have now- I think even less than that...in a previous school system. Many schools make gains...that's why my school is an "A" school and so are many others, and there are many "B" schools too. Just like any school district, you need to check out the statistics because even in the best school district in the world, I am sure there are schools that are in the slumps. I think this is a good school system for kids...there may be better, and there are SURELY a lot worse.

As for languages....quite honestly, all I would ever want my children to learn (as a parent) is Spanish. That is one of the main languages in the US today besides English, and if we are to believe what reports say will happen in the future to the US...that is the language they are to learn. French, German, Russian...unless my child is to get a specific job in the future where he needs one of those languages....is not important.

Yes, there are things to do for children, but there are things to do in other cities too. Does this stand out for children? No, but I can't really think of a city that stands out for children. We do have: parks, beaches, the pier, 2 water parks (one is smaller), a skate boarding park, two BMX bike parks, plenty of recreational sports to join at any of those parks (my chidlren have been in flag football, basketball and dogeball), various events at parks (Snow Day, Ice cream social or something like that- I didn't go), the Colleir Fair once a year, plenty of fishing and boating opportunities, movies, bowling, miniature golf, Pirate festival once a year (loved it! but then again, we won!), little plays for the children at the theater, a store called Cyber Ops where you pay $5 an hour and get to play XBOx360, Wii and Playstation 3, King Richards and i am sure there is more...and you can always travel a little bit to go to more stuff. Like I said, I am not moving out for the children. I am sure, if more families move in, like is predicted for the states, there might be more.
Great post. You are very realistic, pointing out the good and the bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2008, 01:40 PM
 
Location: Naples
672 posts, read 6,977 times
Reputation: 63
Default Snow Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJFlorida View Post
Great post. You are very realistic, pointing out the good and the bad.
I saw that. There is a little boy in class who is from Michigan. He was warning all the other kids going to that event to wear gloves. "You cannot play in snow without gloves." "Your hands will get frozen."

It was cute. He also told me he misses Michigan and the "real thing". He went on to describe to me in great detail his adventures in sledding down the big hill where he used to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2008, 03:44 PM
 
Location: Sunny Naples Florida :)
1,465 posts, read 19,011 times
Reputation: 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMom72 View Post
Naples is for rich and the deluded wannabes and retirees and snowbirds. It is not for middle class families.
K well then I'll be a deluded wannabe and take Naples over NH and my now $400 a month gas bill as its gotten even more cold... Thanks..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2008, 04:05 PM
 
Location: Naples
672 posts, read 6,977 times
Reputation: 63
Default I had $400 gas heat bills too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarastomsgirl View Post
K well then I'll be a deluded wannabe and take Naples over NH and my now $400 a month gas bill as its gotten even more cold... Thanks..
but I also had $400 electric A/C bills. I shut off the AC when it was below 90 degrees. I do that also here in Flordia. I hate AC. anyway. That solved that problem. As far as the heat, I went on a budget plan for the gas heat. They spread my payments out over 12 months and my monthly heating bill was $159 a month. Since I didn't use very much gas for cooking over the summer or fall, it worked out fine. Downstate NY I didn't put the heat on until well into November.

Again, you moved WAY too far North. The Middle Atlantic States are nothing like upper New England.

Oil heat is more economical than gas heat. I have had both. Your price for oil will not go up until what you use in your tank is gone. Gas heat they can increase your rates by the month depending on the price of crude oil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2008, 07:57 AM
 
Location: Naples
5 posts, read 16,656 times
Reputation: 12
I have been here for almost 6 years. I have an almost 7 year old son who goes to school in the Collier County School district. I could not ask for a better group of teachers that he has had the opportunity to have. My son suffers from ADD and each and every single teachers in the three years he has been in school (Pre-K, K and now 1rst) have been fantastic.

Yes, it is expensive to live here. Doesn't make matters any easier when you have people that have tons of money to do nothing with when you are struggling and living paycheck to paycheck.

I moved here to be closer to my family who has lived here for years. It is a great place to raise a family. The neighborhoods for the most part are quiet. There are plenty of families living here. The best place I can suggest to live around is off of Whipporwill. There is The Reserve of Naples, Bella Vita, Mariposa and Stratford Place. They are all condo type residences and loaded with other families.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2008, 10:48 AM
 
52 posts, read 188,505 times
Reputation: 23
I have to concur that I would "discourage" anyone with kids from moving here. However, that said, a lot of people do move here an love it. I live in Estero, which is a relatively nice place to be if we have to be in SWFL. I think I would enjoy it much more if our kids were happy. The problems, as I see them, is that the schools are really not good here. Yes, you can find bad schools everywhere but I've never seen it so pervasive as here in Florida. It's just not the priority. In addition, my kids are having such a hard time making friends (they have 'school' acquaintances but it is tough getting beyond that and finding anyone that lives remotely nearby because the schools are so spread out). It could also be that so many families are in-transition. They seem to have just got here or are just leaving (or both, many times). It's not very stable. But, again, you might like it! I was born here, lived here off-and-on through my childhood and I still have difficulty being truly happy here.

As for Naples, I've got to concur with the poster who said it is a big traffic, construction nightmare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2008, 04:13 PM
faa
 
7 posts, read 23,953 times
Reputation: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshvo View Post
I could have swore I responded to a Naples post JUST like this the other day. Sorry, I didn't read through the responses because after a couple- they seemed to be petty and bickering, so maybe I will repeat someone, maybe I won't....

I live in Naples, have two children, and am looking to get out. But unless you ask...I do not need to bother you with those reasons, but I will tell you that it is not because it's not good for my children, but other reasons.

People with children live, well, all over. East Naples, South Naples, North Naples....it's not like there is an area only zoned for children. Golden Gate Estates is supposed to be where most families will be living in the future, so that would be a good start. I do hear Naples Manor is rough, and I think it is called River Park that is called the "ghetto". I think the zipcodes are 34112 and 34113 that aren't too great, and I forget about 34114. 34120 and 34117 are the estates. 34104 is East Naples which have some good parts. 34116 is Golden Gate city which does have a lot of families, but it does also have some shady parts so I wouldn't really recommend there. 34110 and 34119 are North and for the majority are very nice, 34105 is kinda north...and I forget about 34108. 34102 and 34103 are west, nearer the beaches...but be careful of that River Park area. Lake Park isn't too bad- some shady streets, but overall, not too bad. Lake Park and River Park, Golden Gate estates and Golden Gate city are not community complexes with HOA's, they are just neighborhoods.

As for the education, I too work in the schools. I am a teacher, and have taught elsewhere in the US, so my speaking of education should hold some value. Yes, there are problems with the teachers and budget...but I will speak of what will affect your children (we have yet to see if that will, and we don't know how long those problems will last). I am sure there are better schools elsewhere in the US....but there are far worse, and I have taught in those too.

Our schools are great for technology. Part of me is afraid to leave the district because of how good they are for technology...which is what is out and about in this world today, and will be in our future. Each class has a min. of 6 computers, at my school we have 2 computer labs...the children have various computer programs to help them in subject areas (math, writing, reading, Spanish)...power points...you name it. I didn't have 1/4 what I have now- I think even less than that...in a previous school system. Many schools make gains...that's why my school is an "A" school and so are many others, and there are many "B" schools too. Just like any school district, you need to check out the statistics because even in the best school district in the world, I am sure there are schools that are in the slumps. I think this is a good school system for kids...there may be better, and there are SURELY a lot worse.

As for languages....quite honestly, all I would ever want my children to learn (as a parent) is Spanish. That is one of the main languages in the US today besides English, and if we are to believe what reports say will happen in the future to the US...that is the language they are to learn. French, German, Russian...unless my child is to get a specific job in the future where he needs one of those languages....is not important.

Yes, there are things to do for children, but there are things to do in other cities too. Does this stand out for children? No, but I can't really think of a city that stands out for children. We do have: parks, beaches, the pier, 2 water parks (one is smaller), a skate boarding park, two BMX bike parks, plenty of recreational sports to join at any of those parks (my chidlren have been in flag football, basketball and dogeball), various events at parks (Snow Day, Ice cream social or something like that- I didn't go), the Colleir Fair once a year, plenty of fishing and boating opportunities, movies, bowling, miniature golf, Pirate festival once a year (loved it! but then again, we won!), little plays for the children at the theater, a store called Cyber Ops where you pay $5 an hour and get to play XBOx360, Wii and Playstation 3, King Richards and i am sure there is more...and you can always travel a little bit to go to more stuff. Like I said, I am not moving out for the children. I am sure, if more families move in, like is predicted for the states, there might be more.
Hi, I am wondering why you are looking to get out, I don't mean to be nosy so if it's a private reason please do not tell me, but we may move to Naples and I want to know what I am getting into first. We have 3 young children and have an option to move there but from reading the posts on here the majority are exetremely negative on the area and seem to state that if they had an option they would all move out of Naples! I don't know if that means the area is truely God-awful or if it means that most people who take the time to write posts are people who have a gripe with the area and want to be heard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2008, 06:09 PM
 
581 posts, read 1,143,898 times
Reputation: 331
I live in Naples in a middle class neighborhood (no kids but friends have them) and agree with most of the posters from Naples. It is geared toward retirees and not toward families and kids. School administration problems are constantly in the newspaper. Teachers here are underpaid compared to the cost of living. They can't afford to buy homes on what they make.

Move here for the weather if you have the money but there are better places for young families, better schools, better employment.

I do disagree that it's not a pretty place. It's beauty attracted us 10 years ago and it's not much worse now. Many, many other Florida cities are uglier, especially on the main highways. But pretty is as pretty does. I'm moving to a less crowded, smaller, laid-back town. Naples is like a pretty person with nothing deeper than good looks. That gets old.
Naples is not all bad and better than many other places. On a scale of 1-10 for families I'd say it's a 5. For retirees with above average money it's a 10.

Last edited by imagardener; 02-05-2008 at 06:10 PM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top