U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: NAPLES OR BONITA SPRINGS TO
SCHOOL 1 25.00%
SAFETY 3 75.00%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 09:12 AM

548 posts, read 48,537 times

Advertisements

Just to add one more thing to what Tara said, they also opened a junior tennis academy at the Naples Bath and Tennis Club. Naples is a great place for junior tennis and your boys are the perfect age to get started.

And a little known fact, every year some college scholarships go unused in tennis. So it is not a bad game for them to learn, and who knows, maybe some day it will let them get some bucks for their education!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2008, 10:37 AM

6 posts, read 16,275 times
Thanks again! I am quite surprised about the positives. Its good to know there is plenty of young kids around with alot of things for them to do. I just don't want to be stuck somewhere thats full of grumpy snobs that don't want kids around during there retirement.

No I have never been to Naples. I have been to a lot of places in Fl even SF but never Naples. I am sure I will miss MA at times, but will rather vaction year round in FL..lol and visit Ma in fall and maybe once in winter.

Old 01-23-2008, 10:44 AM

6 posts, read 16,275 times
..one more thing. I enjoy motorcycles...are they well recieved in town?....also are there any motocross tracks nearby?

Old 01-23-2008, 01:31 PM

5,100 posts, read 8,597,258 times
Visit first. And if you decide to make the move, make sure you have plenty money to do it. I found the schools in the middle class neighborhood of the Estates horrible. Long story and I've posted about it before, you can always go back and read what I posted. I lived there 35 years, and was 5th generation on Marco Island, just over the bridge from Naples.

I worked at the sheriff's office before leaving and at the time there was a good bit of problems with gangs and drugs. From what I've heard from those I worked with that are still there, there's still a good bit. It's certainly not nearly as bad as Detroit / Miami / Camden, NJ areas, but it's not exactly completely safe either. Not that any place is. Just keep it in mind.

Seriously, go spend a week or so there first and make sure you check out everything before making that move. I've got a friend of mine that lives in NH that grew up on the island with me and she's dying to come back to SW FL. On the other hand, I wouldn't go back if they paid me.

Old 01-23-2008, 01:38 PM

5,100 posts, read 8,597,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by POKERMIKE View Post
Not To Start A Debate But Does Anyone Have Anything Nice To Say About The Southwest I Have Family On Marco Island I Havent Heard Bad Thing About It I Guess My Uncle Is Really Living The Good Life He Did Say Its Getting Crowded. The Only Place He Told Me To Stay Away From Really Was Leigh & Fort Myers.finally Vote Bonita Springs Or Naples Please
I was the 5th generation in my family born on Marco. Growing up, you couldn't ask for a better childhood. It all started to change in the early / mid 80s. It became so congested and they build door to door condos along the beach.

I have phenomenal memories of my childhood, but there's no way I'd ever go back to visit. It just kills me what's become of that island.

As for Lehigh and Ft Myers, they are no different than Naples. Naples is more expensive overall I guess, but there are plenty over priced neighborhoods in Lee County too. And like Naples, Ft Myers, Lehigh and Bonita all have areas you'd not want to live.

There's no way to vote on something like that. It's like asking if we have 6 eggs or half a dozen eggs.

Old 01-23-2008, 02:42 PM

1,461 posts, read 232,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by POKERMIKE View Post
Not To Start A Debate But Does Anyone Have Anything Nice To Say About The Southwest I Have Family On Marco Island I Havent Heard Bad Thing About It I Guess My Uncle Is Really Living The Good Life He Did Say Its Getting Crowded. The Only Place He Told Me To Stay Away From Really Was Leigh & Fort Myers.finally Vote Bonita Springs Or Naples Please
Yes I love Naples/Bonita area... I'm currently moving back! I lived there for 25 years and I miss it like crazy.. Biggest mistake I ever made to move away.... The area is beautiful. Prices are now reasonable.. Its more expensive to live up north than there so its a bunch of crud that its overpriced imo... There's lots to do, lots to see.. Never a boring moment.. Beaches are wonderful.. no snow!! Lots of things for kids to do and lots of schools to choose from.. People on here saying negative things are the ones who are there against their will eg relocation for work and can't leave yet, or houses won't sell so they feel stuck therefore nothing positive to say about anything.. You'll find its the same people over and over saying negative things.. So take what they say with a grain of salt and make your own assumptions about things.. If the place was as horrible as they constantly say n o one would live there and lots of people would not be moving BACK there.

Old 01-23-2008, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
Visit first. And if you decide to make the move, make sure you have plenty money to do it. I found the schools in the middle class neighborhood of the Estates horrible. Long story and I've posted about it before, you can always go back and read what I posted. I lived there 35 years, and was 5th generation on Marco Island, just over the bridge from Naples.

I worked at the sheriff's office before leaving and at the time there was a good bit of problems with gangs and drugs. From what I've heard from those I worked with that are still there, there's still a good bit. It's certainly not nearly as bad as Detroit / Miami / Camden, NJ areas, but it's not exactly completely safe either. Not that any place is. Just keep it in mind.

Seriously, go spend a week or so there first and make sure you check out everything before making that move. I've got a friend of mine that lives in NH that grew up on the island with me and she's dying to come back to SW FL. On the other hand, I wouldn't go back if they paid me.
My husband worked for the sheriffs office there until the day he moved, mostly all my friends there are officers , and my husband is currently in the process of transfering to be an officer in Naples from NH.. Yes there are gangs... in my 25 years there I never once encountered one, never had my life threatened, was never in a situation where I thought I would get hurt by anyone ever. So I'm not sure where the gangs are, perhaps Golden Gate or Immokalee.. They don't go out killing people on the street corners though and nobody I ever knew or have known has encountered them. Besides that can be said for anytown, your right its no Camden or Boston. .Heck I live in a little tiny town out in Western NH and we have a gang here.. Mass has em too. They're nothing to worry about living in SWFL is not like living in the movie Scarface... Miami maybe

Some schools are good some are bad... depends on where you bring your child, thats what they are looking into I'm sure.. Pelican Marsh and Laurel oaks are good schools. However there are TONS of young families moving there, and I'm sure their kids will have a lot more fun building sand castles in January than sledding in dirty snow and getting wet and cold and sick..

Old 01-23-2008, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sknn2 View Post
..one more thing. I enjoy motorcycles...are they well recieved in town?....also are there any motocross tracks nearby?
Lots and lots of people have motorcycles down there. There is a HUGE Harley outlet seller place on Pine Ridge Rd in Naples that has a bar and everything. Right next to a Hooters . They can be driving year round there so its a better investment to have one than up north where its like a 4 month enjoyment. The roads are smooth there so there's no worry of pot holes, and their straight and flat. You might eat your fair share of bugs though Nothing like riding your cycle downtown and taking a walk out to the pier to see the sunset ..... ahhh I'm making myself jealous of the people there

Old 01-23-2008, 03:11 PM

11 posts, read 27,908 times
tarastomgirl thanks for your info my uncle live on marco i love it when i visit now i want to live. i have 4 children if you can tell me whats schools are the best or any other info would be great thanks again im going dowm in 2 weeks to look for a place for our july move.

Old 01-23-2008, 03:29 PM

11 posts, read 27,908 times
wow i grew up in nyc are you kidding your talking like its harlem or something it may not be up to your your standards my uncle lives on marco and the only problem is a little crowded.tarastomgirl i am moving down in july with my wife and four kids we are in our mid thirtys kids are ages 3-13 when are you moving down look us up we always enjoy meeting new people. we are from staten island ny email me i have a good real estate for buying or renting im gonna rent for a year then buy.good luck !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples