Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: NAPLES OR BONITA SPRINGS TO
SCHOOL 1 25.00%
SAFETY 3 75.00%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 04:00 PM

1,451 posts, read 2,472,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by POKERMIKE View Post
wow i grew up in nyc are you kidding your talking like its harlem or something it may not be up to your your standards my uncle lives on marco and the only problem is a little crowded.tarastomgirl i am moving down in july with my wife and four kids we are in our mid thirtys kids are ages 3-13 when are you moving down look us up we always enjoy meeting new people. we are from staten island ny email me i have a good real estate for buying or renting im gonna rent for a year then buy.good luck !
Lol I lived in the Bronx as a small child and although I have very small memory of living there I can remember passing through Harlem and umm yeah, not even CLOSE!!!!

We are trying to get back asap, hopefully by June.. fingers crossed!! Your kids will have a blast there, take the older ones to an Everblades game, you can get tickets cheap, last year it was 7 bucks a person for like mid to upper seats but they throw up free shirts and toys and things to the audiance so the kids will have fun trying to catch those, then afterwards they can go ice skating themselves and to tell the truth the upper seats are a better view of the rink

Renting is a great idea, I actually plan on doing that myself when we get back even though I'm familar with the area , jsut to get myself re0 Floridianized if thats a word and see how the housing is where I want to buy..

p.s. I'm always up for meeting new people!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2008, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sknn2 View Post
Thanks for the info. I must have read over 100 posts about Naples allready and they all seem to be pretty negative. I have an opportunity there but an very skeptical to move my whole family. We are in our mid 30's with two young boys and are afraid there won't be a lot of people there our age or things for the little ones to do.
btw Red Sox spring training is in Ft. Myers the field is about 20 mins from Naples... great fun in the spring to watch them practice They also have a bar Foxboro that is strickly NE teams.. We would go there every single sunday to watch the games and they give out free prizes to people who can prove they're from NE like with an old library card or license.. so if you get a free moment from the kiddies and need a day to watch the game try there

Last edited by Tarastomsgirl; 01-23-2008 at 04:10 PM..

Old 01-23-2008, 04:03 PM

672 posts, read 897,462 times
Default Hard facts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarastomsgirl View Post
Hey there, I love Naples. I lived there for 25 years.. I moved away (because I was young stupid and wanted to see what else was out there) I'm now living in a small boring town in western NH about 20 mins from the mass border. I feel you on the horrible winters. I'm currently in the process of relocating back to Naples and probably never to move again.. TONS to do there. You'll love it I'm sure, has water parks for the kiddies, lots of playing parks, concerts at Cambier, nice downtown, piers resturants, bowling etc. Like I said lots lots to do.. And lots of kids there. You can put them in summer camps that will take them to the movies, skating, water parks, beach, pools etc all summer and they'll meet kids their age. Renting is easier there now as is buying a home. You are a hop skip and jump to Estero with the Everblades hockey rink where the kids can see games, or go ice skating, lots of concerts there with people like Elton John Billy Joel etc. Coconut point shopping mall is fabulous, airport in Ft. Myers that is a BREEZE compared to Logan ick!!!! Weather although can be hot in the summer, I've found comparable up here in the NE esp for people like us in the Western part of NE we get no sea breeze whatsoever so its a dead heat with haze.. Naples has a seabreeze and in the summer every afternoon around 3-5p.m. there's a thunderstorm that'll cool things off. You can look foward to windows open in Nov-March no more high gas bills, or heating expenses blah!!! Money saved right there. No car inspections, emission testing etc.

Listen to the negatives but realize that a lot of the people talking trash about Naples are not there by their own will eg, relocated for jobs, or stuck cause house wont sell. So they're miserable without a nice thing to say about anything. So focus on the good that can come out of this.. Have you visited the area?
Did you have to take a 6 hour state test just in English as a requirement to get a HS diploma? This is in addition to all the other State Regents test every year in each subject to get a State Regents diploma.

To that other poster, if you are from Staten Island you should about Regents exams. There are no more local diplomas in NYS. All students are now required to pass the Regents. Only the Special Ed students are exempt, for now. That 6 hour English exam was increased from the old 3 hour test that they had years ago. My daughter took the new 6 hour test given over 2 days.

Tara, you can look this up in the Naples News. It was sometime in December I believe. State Education Officials from Florida met with NYS Education Officials to discuss implementing NYS Regents exams in Florida. Do a search on the Naples News Site.

If the standards here in Florida are so terrific, then why did education officials in Florida want to go to NY to discuss their state tests?

Yes, I don't want to be here, but I work in the schools, and have worked in the schools in where I am from, and I can see there difference.

There is another poster who is saying the same thing since she too has worked in the schools in another state and can make a comparison.

Look up the article in the Naples News. Look up the requirements for graduation here as opposed to your own state. Do your own homework.

Old 01-23-2008, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by POKERMIKE View Post
tarastomgirl thanks for your info my uncle live on marco i love it when i visit now i want to live. i have 4 children if you can tell me whats schools are the best or any other info would be great thanks again im going dowm in 2 weeks to look for a place for our july move.

Oh I love Marco, used to go there to go to the beach... I love Tigertail beach.. we used to go there on field trips for school or swim out to the sandbar to collect shells.. Truth be told though I don't think I've been there in a couple years though ...

For schools elementary, IMO I think Pelican Marsh and Laurel Oaks are two of the better... Middle school I only went to Pine Ridge Middle but my sister went to Oakridge Middle and she liked it.. I like Pine Ridge cause my 6th grade year Nickelodeon took over our school and we got to slime the principal and meet all these people from Nickelodeon shows like All That and Melissa Joan Hart and famous bands. lol.. It was sooo cool to be a kid and do that!.. Highschools my first choice is Barron Collier High, followed by Gulf Coast high and Naples High.. Just my opinons though, someone might have different ones. Hope that helps

Old 01-23-2008, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMom72 View Post
Did you have to take a 6 hour state test just in English as a requirement to get a HS diploma? This is in addition to all the other State Regents test every year in each subject to get a State Regents diploma.

To that other poster, if you are from Staten Island you should about Regents exams. There are no more local diplomas in NYS. All students are now required to pass the Regents. Only the Special Ed students are exempt, for now. That 6 hour English exam was increased from the old 3 hour test that they had years ago. My daughter took the new 6 hour test given over 2 days.

Tara, you can look this up in the Naples News. It was sometime in December I believe. State Education Officials from Florida met with NYS Education Officials to discuss implementing NYS Regents exams in Florida. Do a search on the Naples News Site.

If the standards here in Florida are so terrific, then why did education officials in Florida want to go to NY to discuss their state tests?

Yes, I don't want to be here, but I work in the schools, and have worked in the schools in where I am from, and I can see there difference.

There is another poster who is saying the same thing since she too has worked in the schools in another state and can make a comparison.

Look up the article in the Naples News. Look up the requirements for graduation here as opposed to your own state. Do your own homework.

No I didn't have to take a 6 hour english test to graduate from highschool but I'd be willing to do so. That imo is ludicris anyways, I'll tell you right now half the crap I learned in school I never used again, the pythagorean theorem? Give me a break. Where exactly does Beowulf fit into my daily life? The most essential classes I ever needed was when I took accounting and business for 3 years. I actually learned how to balance check books and calculate company losses etc. Home ed taught me how to sew and correctly run a household. I'm still using that. Childcare was nice to learn gonna need that down the line.. Yes things like English are important for sure, but there are other classes that are also very useful that my highschool offered that I am grateful for.. I took Anatomy and Physiology and learned how to help injured people and look for signs of distress such as heart attacks, use CPR etc., they even offered a nursing program for seniors to get college credits and learn beside manners for those interested in going into the nursing field. Thats more useful that reading To Kill a Mockingbird. My Sophmore year they offered Chinese as an alternative to language.. It was dropped though because Chinese is not as conductive in everyday life as say Spanish which is the next most spoken language.Yes I even hear it up here in NH....

I did take all AP classes my senior year and was president of two clubs on top of being in orchestra and in softball leauges. I wasn't an idiot in the Fla school system, nor were my friends.

I never said the schools were the best thing this side of Dixie, but there aren't mongrel zombies graduating from these school.... Florida is not NY.. If they want their kids to graduate with NY standards they'll move to NY.. So far from my graduating class, 3 of my friends have gone on to become doctors and a physical therapist, one is a pitcher for the Florida Marlins, two went to Harvard that I know of one of my good friends went to Villa Nova my gf is a producer for a news program in Naples.Those are just the ones I keep in touch with and the list goes on..
My 19 year old sister and her fiance bought a house before they even graduated highschool, own their own car detailing business and both work from home.. He's 20 btw.. So at 20 years old they've accomplished more than some people in their 30's have.. Both born and raised in Naples. Thats not to say some I graduated with aren't morons sitting at home vegging out with a doobie and eating chips but like I've said before and I strongly believe it is up to the parents to ensure their children stay on the right track and ensure they geT the most out their education system that they can.. Its nobody fault but the parents if their kids spend the rest of their lives sucking them dry living in the garage now made into a bedroom for them... Parents MUST be involved...

Last edited by Tarastomsgirl; 01-23-2008 at 04:39 PM..

Old 01-23-2008, 05:21 PM

1,942 posts, read 8,472,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sknn2 View Post
My wife and I are contiplating relocating to Naples. We have two boys 5 and 7 and want to be sure we are doing the right thing. Of course schools come first how are they in and around Naples? We are currently living in the frozen western part of massachusetts a small town with not much to do. We've had enough of the winters and lack of things to do. I enjoy boating, fishing and motorcycles and have to put them all away for almost 6 months a year...arghhh. Anywho I am a mechanical design engineer with almost 10yrs experience and my wife is an aestetician (sp?) at a 4 diamond spa. Any thoughts good or bad would be encouraged.
I live in Naples, am a teacher, and have two children 7 and 12. I am one of the people who do not like it here and it's not because I can't sell my house, but since you only are asking about the schools and things to do, I will not mention anything off topic.

The schools, for the most part, are good. The report card for each school is on the Collier County School District. I taught in other states, and many things our schools here have, like the amount of technology in each classroom, the other schools do not. The report card will tell you aroundabout how each school is.
There are things to do for the children. It's not like a city like Philly, where you have an abundance of public transportation, so you will have to take your children everywhere or they will have to drive or get picked up...but there is plenty of fishing, beaches (when there isn't red tide), bowling, parks, skate park, BMX park, water park, recreational sports you can sign your children up (my boys have played basketball, flag football and soccer...but they are expensive compared to where I originally came from...$69 per kid to play dodgeball!!!), they have organized parties at these parks like dances and halloween parties and all that, easter egg hunts, the collier county fair is once a year, once a year there is a pirate festival in fort myers beach, miniature golf, snow day, there is a game place that children can go in, pay $5 an hour and play the Wii, Playstation 3, XBOX 360 and all that....your children will be fine (just don't live in a complex that isn't child friendly!!).

Old 01-23-2008, 05:25 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,097,092 times
Post Naples Information Thread

I see a lot of request for information for this location, let's consolidate the threads to take advantage of the information and make it a bit easier to retrieve...

Old 01-23-2008, 06:15 PM

672 posts, read 897,462 times
Default In hindsight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarastomsgirl View Post
Hey there, I love Naples. I lived there for 25 years.. I moved away (because I was young stupid and wanted to see what else was out there) I'm now living in a small boring town in western NH about 20 mins from the mass border. I feel you on the horrible winters. I'm currently in the process of relocating back to Naples and probably never to move again.. TONS to do there. You'll love it I'm sure, has water parks for the kiddies, lots of playing parks, concerts at Cambier, nice downtown, piers resturants, bowling etc. Like I said lots lots to do.. And lots of kids there. You can put them in summer camps that will take them to the movies, skating, water parks, beach, pools etc all summer and they'll meet kids their age. Renting is easier there now as is buying a home. You are a hop skip and jump to Estero with the Everblades hockey rink where the kids can see games, or go ice skating, lots of concerts there with people like Elton John Billy Joel etc. Coconut point shopping mall is fabulous, airport in Ft. Myers that is a BREEZE compared to Logan ick!!!! Weather although can be hot in the summer, I've found comparable up here in the NE esp for people like us in the Western part of NE we get no sea breeze whatsoever so its a dead heat with haze.. Naples has a seabreeze and in the summer every afternoon around 3-5p.m. there's a thunderstorm that'll cool things off. You can look foward to windows open in Nov-March no more high gas bills, or heating expenses blah!!! Money saved right there. No car inspections, emission testing etc.

Listen to the negatives but realize that a lot of the people talking trash about Naples are not there by their own will eg, relocated for jobs, or stuck cause house wont sell. So they're miserable without a nice thing to say about anything. So focus on the good that can come out of this.. Have you visited the area?
I liked Gainesville better than Naples. Lived there for about the same time I have lived in Naples. Happy now?

Old 01-23-2008, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMom72 View Post
I liked Gainesville better than Naples. Lived there for about the same time I have lived in Naples. Happy now?
OMG so she DOES like one place in Florida, even if its the lesser of two evils!!!!!!!!!

Phew I feel faint *thud*

Old 01-23-2008, 06:53 PM

975 posts, read 3,720,908 times
Naples of course. That's where all the Beautiful People are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples