U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 04:43 PM

1 posts, read 3,470 times

Advertisements

Can people in Naples tell me the pros and cons of living in Naples? My husband and I are in our late 40s and enjoy the outdoors (not golfing though). We are hoping to teach in the Naples area and won't be around for the summers. What do you like about Naples, Florida?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2009, 05:39 PM

8,289 posts, read 7,314,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claudia Vierneisel View Post
Can people in Naples tell me the pros and cons of living in Naples? My husband and I are in our late 40s and enjoy the outdoors (not golfing though). We are hoping to teach in the Naples area and won't be around for the summers. What do you like about Naples, Florida?
let's put it this way, the bag boys at the local Publix grocery in Naples all have dentures and grey hair!

Old 12-09-2009, 06:33 PM

5,643 posts, read 4,233,440 times
Default I am not going to comment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claudia Vierneisel View Post

on the pros or cons of living in Naples. My views are well know on this forum. However, since I work for the school district, I say good luck to you. Since last year, all new staff are only given one year contracts. We have been told that unless more Federal money is forthcoming, and we don't want layoffs, we will have our salaries cut to 2007/2008 levels and free benefits eliminated for staff. As of now, medical benefits for a spouse are $400 a month and $700 a month for a family. Who knows what employee benefits will cost or how much family benefits will increase.

The future does not look good right now.

Old 12-09-2009, 06:51 PM

27 posts, read 71,806 times
The teaching will depend on if it's K-12 or community colleges which are busting at the seams.

East Vs. west, IMO is beach quality. I never liked greenery in my water, and the gulf has always creeped me out, LOL. Grassy or mucky. Sunsets on the West are amazing, but if you're an early bird, East is spiritual for sunrises!

Both coasts can be overly trendy, unless you live inward a bit where people are a bit more real.

In all reality, no matter where you choose, do consider the K-12 MASSIVE budget cuts coming, cost of living (closer to the coast, the more expensive), and size of the city. The more dense, obviously crime will creep in.

Just about ALL of Florida is considered a day trip. So settling on a smaller town on the outskirts really isn't that awful, considering most things/sights/amenities are close by.

I've lived here 41 years and I'm STILL not done exploring.

Old 12-10-2009, 06:11 AM

2,085 posts, read 3,878,911 times
Claudia-

The pros and cons depend upon your lifestyle and expectations.

Pros:
-Nice weather in the winter.
-There are things to do, but it is not a major cultural center by any means.
-Housing has come down, finally, from the stratosphere.
-Nice beaches
-Every type of restaurant/shopping.

Cons:
-Hot in the summer.
-Insane traffic in the winter.
-School system in constant turmoil
-Non English speaking clerks, although this has vastly improved since the economy tanked.
-Housing is comparatively more expensive than other areas.

Naples is, first and foremost, a wealthy retirement community run by wealthy retirees. The economy and political machine revolve around that and tourism.

If you have no school age kids and are leaving for the summers then I would consider it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples