Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2016, 09:54 PM

122 posts, read 201,246 times

Advertisements

By the end of April, I could not wait to get the hell out of Florida and back to Chicago. By the end of November, I can't wait to get the hell out of Chicago and back to Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2016, 10:00 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,089,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agstacker View Post
By the end of April, I could not wait to get the hell out of Florida. By the end of November, I can't wait to get the hell out of Chicago.
Best of both worlds!

After nearly 30 years of living in Naples full time, I've been seriously thinking of doing the snowbird thing. I dread "sauna" (summer) more and more every year.

Old 05-19-2016, 07:26 AM

3,848 posts, read 7,961,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rex-rotham View Post
OMG Sweetbottom - move north so you can ask yourself what you can do from October to May up North in the Midwest? LOL. IT IS STILL 50 DEGREES IN CHICAGO~ Try living in a freezing climate where you have to put on clothes and freeze going from one building to the next.

Stop complaining, geez.

If you are a glass 1/4 empty type of person, this piece of paradise won't make you happy.

What have I done this week with my kids?

1. Bird watch
2. Swim
3. Bike Ride
4. Fishing
5. Golfing
6. Kids Museum
7. Mercato
8. Tennis

Now is BETTER than in season. So in the midday we might go to movies or stay out of sun. If the sun is beating down, we don't do sports....but up until Noon or after 6 PM we are fine!

LOVE NAPLES AND PARADISE BABY!!!!
I think bird watching, golf, and tennis would last about .0005 seconds with a 6 year old in summer. Kids museum is good till about the age of 6 and then its not really catered to anyone older.

Old 05-19-2016, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
I think bird watching, golf, and tennis would last about .0005 seconds with a 6 year old in summer. Kids museum is good till about the age of 6 and then its not really catered to anyone older.
LOL.....

Those things would last even less time than that with me, regardless of the season, and I'm 51!

Bike riding is great in the winter time, and almost bearable late at night during "sauna", same for fishing.

We do a lot of kayaking, and even that's FAR better in the winter than "sauna", but you do get a little respite from the heat out on the open water.

Swimming is about the only acceptable outdoor activity during daylight hours in "sauna".....

Last edited by Tripower455; 05-19-2016 at 08:10 AM..

Old 05-19-2016, 07:47 AM

1,626 posts, read 1,709,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripower455 View Post
Best of both worlds!

After nearly 30 years of living in Naples full time, I've been seriously thinking of doing the snowbird thing. I dread "sauna" (summer) more and more every year.

Problem with the snowbird thing is, you never know when a heatwave will hit anywhere up north.

I remember plenty of horrible summers up there that were hot and humid just like here or worse. Maybe not for four months straight, but still enough days to from June to September to not make owning 2 homes worth it to me. July and August are generally awful everywhere.

We were vacationing at a friends high rise condo in Chicago when a heat wave hit so early in the season, they hadn't switched over from heat to air conditioning. We had to sleep outside on a park bench. It was so miserable, we left early and went home to get AC relief.

Old 05-19-2016, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin1 View Post
Problem with the snowbird thing is, you never know when a heatwave will hit anywhere up north.

I remember plenty of horrible summers up there that were hot and humid just like here or worse. Maybe not for four months straight, but still enough days to from June to September to not make owning 2 homes worth it to me. July and August are generally awful everywhere.

We were vacationing at a friends high rise condo in Chicago when a heat wave hit so early in the season, they hadn't switched over from heat to air conditioning. We had to sleep outside on a park bench. It was so miserable, we left early and went home to get AC relief.
LOL... Yeah, I grew up on Long Island, and still head up there for a few days every summer. It always seems that I am there during the heat waves. The good thing is that they typically don't last more than a week, and then it's back to 75-80 for the high and 65-70 at night. Down here, it's relentless for 5-6 months, with no relief whatsoever. That said, I had to move my daughter out of her apartment in Manhattan on Monday, and while it was pleasant during the day, it was downright cold at night (45), and of course, all I had were short sleeve shirts. I was up there a few weeks ago and it was pretty warm, so it never occurred to me to bring a jacket.

I worked out of Chicago for 5 years, but still lived here in Naples. based on my experience, you guys get about 4 weeks of good weather per year. 2 in the spring and 2 in the fall......

Last edited by Tripower455; 05-19-2016 at 08:48 AM..

Old 05-19-2016, 09:12 AM

1,626 posts, read 1,709,719 times
My wife and I both lived in Illinois our entire lives until we moved to Naples full time 2 years ago.

I used to marvel any time we had a nice day up there. My comment was always, "at least we get get a few nice days a year"!

Seriously, it was always too hot, too cold, raining, snowing, cloudy for weeks on end. A nice day was rare as hen's teeth.

I had SAD (seasonal affective disorder) for years and didn't realize how serious it was. I was moody and depressed, sitting in the house for days on end because the weather was so awful you couldn't go outside if you wanted to. Rarely saw the sun.

When we moved here, I got a physical and the doctor told me I had a very low vitamin D level. My mood has improved greatly since being here.

Last edited by movin1; 05-19-2016 at 09:27 AM..

Old 05-19-2016, 01:51 PM

331 posts, read 452,838 times
I moved from the Chicagoland area to Naples permanently in December 2014. Yep, its hot & humid, Went back up North in April for 5 days of continuous rain. I much rather be in the heat here than 4 months freezing! Plus all the different snowbelts going eastward from the lake made it almost impossible to travel.

Hot days in Paradise. Now that is sweat!

Old 05-19-2016, 03:05 PM

1,162 posts, read 1,410,782 times
Worked outside all year for 36 years and bought here 5 yrs ago. I dig the heat and humidity. Cold weather hurts. We've spent every summer here since. Tee off 2-3x a week at 8am. Home by noon latest....shower and chill out for few hours. Then we head out to many places already mentioned. Wife retires in June and we aim to be fulltime by next spring. The most pressing issue I face everyday is brown sandals or boat shoes.

Old 05-19-2016, 03:18 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,441,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agstacker View Post
By the end of April, I could not wait to get the hell out of Florida and back to Chicago. By the end of November, I can't wait to get the hell out of Chicago and back to Florida.
Summer heat and humidity in Chicago isn't much if any better than it is in Naples, and you only have Lake Michigan beaches not the beautiful beaches of Naples!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
View detailed profiles of: