U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2016, 07:56 AM

25 posts, read 15,295 times

Advertisements

Anyone have any advice? Do I need a license? Where do I get one?

I have only ever done freshwater fishing in the midwest. Do I need different poles, test strength line, hooks?

What are good locations beyond Naples pier? Especially good locations for kids.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2016, 08:38 AM

784 posts, read 899,239 times
Unless you fish off the Naples Pier, you definitely need a license. They can be obtained in lots of places, including online and printed out, although I'm not sure if out of state can be done online, now that I think of it.

There are tons of places to fish. Off the top of my head, the areas below any of the bridges going to Lovers Key would be safe for kids, and there are fish there. Either side of New Pass would work. There's plenty of free parking and lots of room to fish. You can fish off some of the bridges themselves, but I wouldn't, especially with kids.

Wiggins Pass State Park is another decent place to fish. Just head north from the lot until you hit the pass and plop down. It's also a beautiful beach, so if you get tired of fishing, you're already there!

For tackle, you never know what you're gonna get, and in any of the passes, you can get everything from baby snook, catfish, jacks etc. to 8' sharks. I mostly fish from a kayak, and my main rig is a 7' medium action rod with a Shimano 4500 sized spinning reel, loaded with 20lb test braid. It'll take everything up to small tarpon and sharks.

I'd recommend live shrimp for ease and possibility of catching the most stuff. Just be advised that you're gonna get a lot of catfish, especially if you let them sit on the bottom. I prefer using a popping cork. Gulp shrimp work almost as well, and sometimes even better.

Old 07-29-2016, 10:01 AM

49 posts, read 27,913 times
Hi yes, lots of places to fish, with lots of different choices...and therefore different kit potentially. Freshwater, backwater, bay and ocean (on shore off shore). Depends on what you want to go after and from where (beach, boat, bridge, pier). BTW, I have a similar set up as Tripower455...braid is way to go. Also, do a lot of shore fishing, carolina rig setup with live shrimp.

Florida has a number of different license options - see this link.

Recreational Freshwater Licenses & Permits

A good place to start for advice is Bass Pro Shops in Ft Myers, near the airport. Huge, lots of different options and very helpful staff. That's where I got my gear.

Locations - where are you staying? Seems like more options in Marco area, unless you do a bit of backwater, bridge fishing in naples arena.

Just a selling point. If you have the opportunity to go down to Everglades City area and go out with a guide - go for it! Great time, lots of action.

One last item I would recommend - sunscreen!

Good luck and happy fishing.

Old 08-01-2016, 05:24 PM

127 posts, read 85,862 times
Take a search of Lover's Key Stat Park. They offer an inexpensive fishing class. I took it a couple of years ago and they'll tell ya everything you need to know. Everything. Lovers Key is a better shore fishing spot than Delnor Wiggins. You'll need something to tote all your stuff.

Yes, equipment will be different to some extent. I fish fresh and salt from shore. Go to Collier County site and look up boat access. This will lead you to several fishing locations, Goodland, Delnor Wiggins, and Marco Island with access to fresh bait.

There is a lot of new and exciting things to learn and experience besides just eating fresh fish.

Good Luck Fishin!
P.S. Learn about gators if you intend to fresh water. We don't need to loose any fishermen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples