Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2016, 05:48 AM

731 posts, read 767,978 times

Advertisements

Sweetbottoms:

Everyone has ups and downs in life and we all make choices according to that. For example: If a couple chooses to have a child with a stay at home Mom, that's a choice. With that choice I would imagine it would be financially harder, but the good part is that a Mom can be at home with her child which is priceless. You mention your husband has health insurance with his job. That is a tremendous asset to have!

There are so many places in the United States that are cheaper than Naples that have a wonderful lifestyle and much lower cost of living. Trying to live in a place that is way above your budget, must be very difficult.

Things change in life, and you have to change with it. Complaining about it is just wasting your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2016, 03:23 PM

2,232 posts, read 2,118,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbtondo View Post
Sweetbottoms:

Everyone has ups and downs in life and we all make choices according to that. For example: If a couple chooses to have a child with a stay at home Mom, that's a choice. With that choice I would imagine it would be financially harder, but the good part is that a Mom can be at home with her child which is priceless. You mention your husband has health insurance with his job. That is a tremendous asset to have!

There are so many places in the United States that are cheaper than Naples that have a wonderful lifestyle and much lower cost of living. Trying to live in a place that is way above your budget, must be very difficult.

Things change in life, and you have to change with it. Complaining about it is just wasting your time.
Or we can build more houses like the one in my first post without people like you complaining about it. Collier is a very sparsely populated county and there is no reason for a lack of affordable homes.

Old 09-30-2016, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins_Fan View Post
Or how about we let the free market determine where houses are built, and how much they cost? I live in the Boston area where housing is insanely expensive. I may not like the housing prices here, but I'm free to leave. We actually dislike the area for many reasons, but will stay (part-time anyway), due to employment/business reasons.

If you don't like your situation, work to change it! It's not everyone else's responsibility to take care of you! Self-empowerment!!
The free market doesn't build ANYTHING. Our tax dollars build everything commercial and luxury in this country. The housing market moves in whichever way it gets subsidies. Also reported for a personal attack that has no place on this discussion.

Old 10-01-2016, 09:39 AM

1,203 posts, read 1,813,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
The free market doesn't build ANYTHING. Our tax dollars build everything commercial and luxury in this country. The housing market moves in whichever way it gets subsidies. Also reported for a personal attack that has no place on this discussion.
Lol, that was far from a personal attack. You are now on "ignore".

Old 10-01-2016, 09:02 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,245,044 times
Quote:
Or we can build more houses like the one in my first post without people like you complaining about it. Collier is a very sparsely populated county and there is no reason for a lack of affordable homes.
When you say "Collier" do you really mean Old Naples, or do you include Ave Maria and Immokalee? How do you define "affordable"?

Old 10-02-2016, 02:56 PM

731 posts, read 767,978 times
Quote:
I didn't complain about anything. . Just living and loving life!

Old 10-04-2016, 08:27 AM

82 posts, read 155,318 times
"Affordable" housing is relative. Will there ever be any truly affordable housing built in Naples or the general area - no. Take for exp the Springs at Estero Apts in Estero near Germain Arena. Built as affordable housing, a 2bdrm goes for $1800/mo or $21,600/yr. For a single parent making $35k/yr as a member of the working class, they might take home $$27k/yr. Once paying rent, that leaves only $5400 for all other expenses. Not too realistic for affordable housing. In order to actually afford to live, they would need to make $50k/yr or more. But this area is meant for the snowbirds and vacationers who have the $ to spend, not for the truly working class. If the answer is to build apts that rent for $500/mo as affordable, that's not going to happen. It wouldn't be financially feasible to even build units that would rent for that much. Maybe the answer is better paying jobs that can actually support the working class. Less outsourcing/insourcing. Better education. Affordable child care. There is an election coming up, and there is only 1 candidate who can get this done, and we know what his name is.

Old 11-17-2016, 09:52 PM

3 posts, read 2,806 times
Wow,some of you people are *******s,you know SW Florida doesn't cater to the middle class.a place that's for the middle class has decent paying jobs and affordable housing,not gated communities on every street and very boring plazas everywhere,a place for wealthy old snow birds would be exactly like SW Florida is today. Point is a real city,is a city that caters to everyone ,not one group of people with alot of money.,so tell me how is it fair that people with more money,get things the way they wanted,in a city there not even from and only spend half the year.its fine that there are low paying jobs, but it should be enough affordable housing for them

On the other hand I think middle class people who wants to live a middle class life should seek elsewhere,its not all that family oriented city,your not gonna meet alot of young middle class family's,your probably get bored of it,it lacks culture and community,althought there are alot of immigrants,but there scattered everywhere and alot don't speak english,n people there aren't rooted, 90℅ of the people I meant in Naples were 1st generation,so it take a few generations before it gets that feel.which is probably why middle class is getting pushed out there

Old 11-18-2016, 05:13 PM

6,417 posts, read 4,911,200 times
Naples is what it is. A unique destination with lots of upscale everything. It will never be a family oriented middle class welcoming city. That is what gives it its charm. We enjoyed visiting and almost moved there. We were looking more for a year round city with excellent healthcare and settled on PVB. A comparable house in Naples would be a million+ (1 mile from beach, gated community, water view and on a golf course)

Old 11-19-2016, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
Naples is what it is. A unique destination with lots of upscale everything. It will never be a family oriented middle class welcoming city. That is what gives it its charm. We enjoyed visiting and almost moved there. We were looking more for a year round city with excellent healthcare and settled on PVB. A comparable house in Naples would be a million+ (1 mile from beach, gated community, water view and on a golf course)
Naples until the 21st century was a place where families could move to and make a comfortable living. My own family moved here in the 70s and 80s with almost nothing and they were able to easily buy homes and find jobs that gave comfortable livings.

Somewhere around 2000 Naples became a place where zoning laws got completely bonkers and working class homes and apartments just ceased to be constructed. I think of the houses my own family owns and they were all built prior to 1990. No, they aren't the fanciest, but they could at least be built. Today whenever a non-luxury project tries to get built the snobs scream about it like they did in the article I posted.

Neighborhoods like the Naples Manor, Golden Gate, Naples Park, or Shadowlawn are not being built and these non-luxury neighborhoods are what the working classes need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples