Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2016, 05:07 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,239,560 times

Advertisements

Unless it does an unexpected turn it looks as though we'll see no more than some wind and rain. Have some basics all ready but is anyone doing more than that to prepare?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2016, 05:29 PM

14,944 posts, read 12,136,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Unless it does an unexpected turn it looks as though we'll see no more than some wind and rain. Have some basics all ready but is anyone doing more than that to prepare?
We're a little north of you in Charlotte County, but just as a precaution we brought in or hunkered down anything outside that might be a possible flying missile under windy conditions. We're old time Floridians who have been through several hurricanes and innumerable tropical storms, so we pretty much have any preparations in place at the beginning of each hurricane season, and do or get last minute things as needed. We make it a habit to have cash and keep the cars gassed up during hurricane season, and pretty much anything else we might need we have. We also have hurricane impact windows. Knock on wood, we won't get anywhere near the brunt of this storm.

Old 10-04-2016, 05:35 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,239,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
We're a little north of you in Charlotte County, but just as a precaution we brought in or hunkered down anything outside that might be a possible flying missile under windy conditions. We're old time Floridians who have been through several hurricanes and innumerable tropical storms, so we pretty much have any preparations in place at the beginning of each hurricane season, and do or get last minute things as needed. We make it a habit to have cash and keep the cars gassed up during hurricane season, and pretty much anything else we might need we have. We also have hurricane impact windows. Knock on wood, we won't get anywhere near the brunt of this storm.
I'm going to make the determination early Thursday to see how things turn if I bring in items, etc. I agree with having impact windows - one less thing to do. Have the basics already as well as a couple of luxuries like 2 small inverter generators and a small window AC that I can use in the bedroom if the power goes out. I had a big noisy guzzling generator but ended up returning it as I figured we would either bug out if it got bad or we could manage on less with generators that sip gas. May go fill up a 5 gallon can just in case.

Old 10-04-2016, 05:39 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,960,523 times
Nope.... tropical storm winds on the west coast, meh.

Old 10-04-2016, 05:43 PM

2,232 posts, read 2,117,718 times
I filled up on gas and water. That's it. East coast storm isn't going to hurt us too bad.

Old 10-04-2016, 05:49 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,692,145 times
got gas last week why the car said feed me so I did- have tuna, and some club crackers I mostly give away why they go stale b4 I eat them- the buy one bogo deal so pack them up for the food pantry with the peter pan peanut butter.

Old 10-04-2016, 07:47 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,418,258 times
I'm on the east coast and I've got my Peter Pan , too!

Stay safe all!

Old 10-05-2016, 07:07 AM

2,432 posts, read 2,690,222 times
We are north of Naples near Sarasota. We have only lived here for 3 months now and was concerned we may already have to go through our first hurricane. Seems though right now it's projected to only majorly effect the east coast. We plan to gas up vehicles and get a pack of bottled water - just to be safe. We have to grocery shop anyways today so we should be set. You just never know if it may change paths last minute.

Old 10-05-2016, 08:05 AM

1,394 posts, read 2,088,965 times
We're probably not gonna board up, but will certainly secure the loose stuff around the yard. If it looks like it's gonna turn and hit us more squarely, we'll board up. If it comes to that, it takes me about 2 hours to do the entire house. Impact glass is on the short list of things we're gonna do this winter.

We've already got the cars gassed up, gas for the generator etc., tons of water and food.

One nice thing about being surrounded by miles of 50'+ tall pine trees is that they make a great wind break, (until one of them falls on something valuable, of course). Every hurricane we've had, I've always placed an empty gallon water jug in the middle of our pool deck, and it has never moved an inch. During Wilma, the tops of the pine trees were bent 90 degrees, but there wasn't a breath of wind at ground level.

Good luck everyone!

Old 10-05-2016, 02:57 PM

14,944 posts, read 12,136,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripower455 View Post
We're probably not gonna board up, but will certainly secure the loose stuff around the yard. If it looks like it's gonna turn and hit us more squarely, we'll board up. If it comes to that, it takes me about 2 hours to do the entire house. Impact glass is on the short list of things we're gonna do this winter.

We've already got the cars gassed up, gas for the generator etc., tons of water and food.

One nice thing about being surrounded by miles of 50'+ tall pine trees is that they make a great wind break, (until one of them falls on something valuable, of course). Every hurricane we've had, I've always placed an empty gallon water jug in the middle of our pool deck, and it has never moved an inch. During Wilma, the tops of the pine trees were bent 90 degrees, but there wasn't a breath of wind at ground level.

Good luck everyone!
I remember many of the tall pines in Miami-Dade county having their branches and needles blown off in the direction the wind was coming during Hurricane Andrew.. The branches stayed on in the direction away from the wind, so those pines looked like giant toothbrushes after the storm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples