Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2016, 01:07 PM

731 posts, read 768,164 times

Advertisements

This is a free country. If that neighbor wants to take his lanai and make it a storage unit and break the rules. So be it. And if someone doesn't want to buy the house next door because of it, they have every right to pass on it. Very easy.

Why does the person with the storage unit lanai have more rights than the person next door? I don't side with either one. I would walk if it were me. That would be my right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2016, 05:13 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,090,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbtondo View Post
This is a free country. If that neighbor wants to take his lanai and make it a storage unit and break the rules. So be it. And if someone doesn't want to buy the house next door because of it, they have every right to pass on it. Very easy.
No argument there.

Quote:
Why does the person with the storage unit lanai have more rights than the person next door?
Who said that they did? Maybe they're not even violating any covenants?

Quote:
I don't side with either one. I would walk if it were me. That would be my right.
Again, no argument.

The sad thing is you might've missed out on living next door to the best neighbor you'd ever had, all because they had stuff you didn't approve of on their lanai.

As long as no one's getting hurt, and they're not keeping me up at all hours, I really couldn't care less what my neighbors do on or with their own property.

Old 11-11-2016, 06:03 PM

30 posts, read 35,209 times
Freedom does not mean you can disregard laws. Period. If using your lanai as a substitute for renting a unit at Cubesmart is prohibited by the rules and regulations of the HOA you cant do it. Period. If it is not prohibited you can't complain about it. Period.

Old 11-11-2016, 06:32 PM

2,054 posts, read 3,342,798 times
I saw this thread and my jaw just dropped. With all the serious, serious problems in this country and the world, someone is actually worried about something like this, and worried enough to post something in a forum here about it? Maybe those people are ill and that balcony is the last thing on their minds. Maybe there's been a tragedy in the family. Maybe this and maybe that, why assume anything when you actually know nothing about it?

In person I would say what was on my mind, here I will choose the better part of valor and just let the op's attitude and words speak for themselves.

Old 11-11-2016, 09:27 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodyshaperrar View Post
Freedom does not mean you can disregard laws. Period. If using your lanai as a substitute for renting a unit at Cubesmart is prohibited by the rules and regulations of the HOA you cant do it. Period. If it is not prohibited you can't complain about it. Period.
Why not find a different neighborhood?
Obviously this one is not to your liking since you are considering reporting something to the HOA and you don't even own property there.
Perhaps a big parcel of property with no neighbors?

Old 11-12-2016, 04:20 AM

2 posts, read 1,774 times
And this is why I could never live in a condo like situation. Paying so much money to have your neighbors gawk, judge and harasss you if your standards aren't the same.....damn, that is not a blessed existence. I think that 'unsightly' lanai owner is the lucky one! Hahaha! Golden Fate Estates acreage = FREEDOM! 😂😂

Old 11-12-2016, 05:22 AM

30 posts, read 35,209 times
I'm amazed at how some have misrepresented my remarks to reflect their opinions.

Old 11-12-2016, 10:08 AM
wjj

950 posts, read 1,363,963 times
Quote:
I'm amazed at how some have misrepresented my remarks to reflect their opinions.
Yep. Anyone who thinks that an unkempt property next door - or nearby - will not have a negative impact on property values of neighbors is being very naive. When we were looking, we not only looked at neighbor's property, but the entire neighborhood or development. We walked away from several houses that would have worked for us where it was clear other residents were not maintaining their properties to what we considered to be a reasonable standard.

This is kind of real estate shopping 101. Pretty much every agent will tell a prospective buyer to visit the entire neighborhood at different times and different days to be sure the buyer would be comfortable living there - even if only part time. Everyone has different things they will not tolerate and things they will tolerate. Individual preference - and that's okay.

In your situation, I would just walk away. I would not report anything to the HOA. Not worth it. If you want to investigate more, get a copy of the HOA rules and regulations. That will tell you if something like that is allowed or if it is not allowed but the HOA is not enforcing its own rules. Either way, you probably don't want to be there.

Old 11-12-2016, 04:58 PM

731 posts, read 768,164 times
WJJ: You are spot on!

Old 11-12-2016, 06:30 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,090,042 times
Quote:

My sincere apologies if I did this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
View detailed profiles of: