Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 05:19 PM

1,626 posts, read 1,709,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapshot1959 View Post
Geez, I cant wait to retire there but some of these opinions make me think it's the worst decision to consider.

Can't be that bad, can it?

Here in Chicago this month we've had an 86 degree day followed by a 48 degree day, rain, blustery cold, miserable weather.

Almost a week with no sun, except for a few hours here and there. I think we hit 60 today. Cloudy,rainy, Oregon weather lol.

I'll take your misery instead when I start collecting my pension and SS. Then I can be a cranky old man and complain about the young 'uns and snowbirds and heat, all the while sipping a cold ice tea outside on my lanai around my pool there.

I resemble that remark!

And, I lived in Chicago before moving here....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2017, 08:23 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,089,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slapshot1959 View Post
Geez, I cant wait to retire there but some of these opinions make me think it's the worst decision to consider.

Can't be that bad, can it?
That depends. Do you enjoy being outside when the heat index is over 100 degrees? If so, then you'll LOVE the weather in Naples most of the year.

Quote:
Here in Chicago this month we've had an 86 degree day followed by a 48 degree day, rain, blustery cold, miserable weather.
Here in Naples the heat index has been over 100 for most of the last month. The average will go down into the 90's when the rainy season gets into full swing, but the humidity goes up dramatically to ensure it's just as miserable.

Quote:
Almost a week with no sun, except for a few hours here and there. I think we hit 60 today. Cloudy,rainy, Oregon weather lol.
Almost a month of not being able to go outside for more than a few minutes without sweating through my clothes. I was working in the garage today, and ended up closing the doors and cranking the AC when it felt like I had gone swimming in my shorts and tee shirt. I wasn't exerting myself and had several fans going too. Just nasty. It was actually cool enough to work out there last night with the doors open, but I had to drench myself in bug spray due to the mosquitoes.

Quote:
I'll take your misery instead when I start collecting my pension and SS. Then I can be a cranky old man and complain about the young 'uns and snowbirds and heat, all the while sipping a cold ice tea outside on my lanai around my pool there.
I am not old or cranky, but I do complain about the young 'uns, the snowbirds and definitely the miserable heat and humidity. It's too hot to sit on the lanai or by the pool this time of year. You have to be IN the pool.

Old 05-25-2017, 12:55 AM

146 posts, read 335,570 times
You know I would never lobby to convince anyone to move here. It's a gem of a place. I found it in '76 before most others did. One never knows what kind of person is asking, "convince me to move here". Nope. Not going to do that. We already have way too many people discovering what an unique and special place it is, the question is, IF you are the kind of person that fits the energy here.

You don't fit in if you're aggressive, mad at the world, think you need to share rap music with your windows down while driving slowly thru the grocery store parking lot, wear your pants showing your butt, get your finger waving going on and shaking your head over some trivial nonsense or give no respect to people who are aging and walk a bit slower.

You don't fit in if don't think nature is to be honored, respected and treasured....that nesting turtles have as much right as you do to be here or if you have a boat, manatees were here first and need you to proceed cautiously through water where they live.

You might not fit in if you can't RELAX, just enjoy fresh air, the sunshine and the fact that most of the people may or may not drive slower than you, or not who knows, but can refrain from getting your knickers in a twist if the light turns green and 2 seconds pass before the Lexus in front of you makes a move.

On the flip side, you just may love it here, if you're ideal weekend is a day on a white sand beach building sandcastles with the kids, or playing volleyball on the beach. If a perfect ending to a day off is watching the sunset on the beach in hopes of seeing "the green flash".

You may love it here if you love paddleboarding, kayaking, just getting a tan, walking the beach, running the beach, sitting and listening to the waves lap and watching for dolphins.

You may love it here if you know it is one of the last remaining places in the USA that pollution and crime are not fear factors while we sleep with every night.

We have restaurants and shopping that rival major cities, but our property taxes are lower than most.

No one who has been here for any length of time will "try" and convince you it is the place for you. Instead we just hope you do some serious soul searching to know that you have reached a place and time in your life that is ready to live in a place of peace, quiet, beauty and yeah, maybe the random grumpy old fart that might wander by.

TL

Old 05-25-2017, 10:03 AM

3,848 posts, read 7,961,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travellight27 View Post
You know I would never lobby to convince anyone to move here. It's a gem of a place. I found it in '76 before most others did. One never knows what kind of person is asking, "convince me to move here". Nope. Not going to do that. We already have way too many people discovering what an unique and special place it is, the question is, IF you are the kind of person that fits the energy here.

You don't fit in if you're aggressive, mad at the world, think you need to share rap music with your windows down while driving slowly thru the grocery store parking lot, wear your pants showing your butt, get your finger waving going on and shaking your head over some trivial nonsense or give no respect to people who are aging and walk a bit slower.

You don't fit in if don't think nature is to be honored, respected and treasured....that nesting turtles have as much right as you do to be here or if you have a boat, manatees were here first and need you to proceed cautiously through water where they live.

You might not fit in if you can't RELAX, just enjoy fresh air, the sunshine and the fact that most of the people may or may not drive slower than you, or not who knows, but can refrain from getting your knickers in a twist if the light turns green and 2 seconds pass before the Lexus in front of you makes a move.

On the flip side, you just may love it here, if you're ideal weekend is a day on a white sand beach building sandcastles with the kids, or playing volleyball on the beach. If a perfect ending to a day off is watching the sunset on the beach in hopes of seeing "the green flash".

You may love it here if you love paddleboarding, kayaking, just getting a tan, walking the beach, running the beach, sitting and listening to the waves lap and watching for dolphins.

You may love it here if you know it is one of the last remaining places in the USA that pollution and crime are not fear factors while we sleep with every night.

We have restaurants and shopping that rival major cities, but our property taxes are lower than most.

No one who has been here for any length of time will "try" and convince you it is the place for you. Instead we just hope you do some serious soul searching to know that you have reached a place and time in your life that is ready to live in a place of peace, quiet, beauty and yeah, maybe the random grumpy old fart that might wander by.

TL

this.....post....is....everything... I laughed so hard about the rap in the Publix parking lot.. if that isn't the biggest truth on this entire forum then I don't know what is!!! I miss Naples before everyone found it... So bad.. I just recently found old pictures of me as a kid on Vanderbilt Beach before the high rises went in. My parents car is parked right up to the sand (where the boardwalk to get onto the beach now is) and the beach is nearly empty. Its dated October 1983..and empty Vanderbilt beach in season.. can you imagine?
My grandmothers home was just a few blocks from there that she bought for nothing ($30,000). It was so cheap she bought the house across the street for my parents for $15,000. In 2008 her house was appraised at $600,000. She had never even upgraded it from when she bought it in '81. They wanted the land... I knew then it was all over. It wasn't about the beauty of it all it was about the greed and wanting to own it all.

Old 05-25-2017, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueIt View Post
Just curious where in NC you're headed to? If it's for better weather, it must be somewhere in western NC.
Between the heat and the never ending influx of snowbirds, the misery index in Florida is getting worse...unfortunately.
We are heading to Charlotte area. Their summers are hot but the key thing is they END eventually. We didn't want the misery of going back to New England with their winters and if I have to spend one more year in this snowbird infested, bug infested, over priced aesthetically fake, over crowded, over priced, endless ungodly heat and humidity ridden place I may explode or hang from the rafters... 34 years is my limit! Not that I have strong opinions on it.

Old 05-25-2017, 10:41 AM

5,020 posts, read 7,448,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travellight27 View Post
No one who has been here for any length of time will "try" and convince you it is the place for you.
Well said
People trying to convince others' that their state/city/neighborhood's the best and everyone should move there?
What is the logic?
Why would anyone want a bajillion people moving to their town?
Unless you're a builder, realtor, or politician

Old 05-25-2017, 11:28 AM

94 posts, read 200,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
We are heading to Charlotte area. Their summers are hot but the key thing is they END eventually. We didn't want the misery of going back to New England with their winters and if I have to spend one more year in this snowbird infested, bug infested, over priced aesthetically fake, over crowded, over priced, endless ungodly heat and humidity ridden place I may explode or hang from the rafters... 34 years is my limit! Not that I have strong opinions on it.
Know the area well, my mom was from just outside Charlotte, Monroe. Spent many summers there as a kid at my grandmothers place in the country. Great times!

It does get very hot there in the summertime, no breeze. They do have 4 seasons though. How did you pick Charlotte? Naples to Charlotte is not exactly a move that probably done very often. Family, friends there...or did you toss a dart at a map?

Best of luck with the move and may everything be exactly as you hope at your new home. Enjoy!

Old 05-25-2017, 02:46 PM

7 posts, read 11,302 times
Quote:
AAhh Pelican Marsh Elem.. So good we opted to home school after kindergarten..
I appreciate this comment, because now I know to take everything you say with a grain of salt. If you had said, "I pulled my son/daughter out of Pelican and put them in private school," I would have asked for more information, but the fact that you chose to home school your child means that our views are polar opposites, thus your recommendations and opinions are likely irrelevant to me moving forward.

Thanks for saving me the time.

Old 05-25-2017, 08:08 PM

85 posts, read 176,949 times
Quote:
this.....post....is....everything... I laughed so hard about the rap in the Publix parking lot.. if that isn't the biggest truth on this entire forum then I don't know what is!!! I miss Naples before everyone found it... So bad.. I just recently found old pictures of me as a kid on Vanderbilt Beach before the high rises went in. My parents car is parked right up to the sand (where the boardwalk to get onto the beach now is) and the beach is nearly empty. Its dated October 1983..and empty Vanderbilt beach in season.. can you imagine?
My grandmothers home was just a few blocks from there that she bought for nothing ($30,000). It was so cheap she bought the house across the street for my parents for $15,000. In 2008 her house was appraised at $600,000. She had never even upgraded it from when she bought it in '81. They wanted the land... I knew then it was all over. It wasn't about the beauty of it all it was about the greed and wanting to own it all.
For sure, Naples is not perfect. However, it will be much better when you finally leave. Many snowbirds are objectionable because of cultural differences, you are different, you are just foul and annoying. Enjoy your future location, I look forward to you leaving for good. You've been leaving for so long.

Old 05-25-2017, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjlljr View Post
I appreciate this comment, because now I know to take everything you say with a grain of salt. If you had said, "I pulled my son/daughter out of Pelican and put them in private school," I would have asked for more information, but the fact that you chose to home school your child means that our views are polar opposites, thus your recommendations and opinions are likely irrelevant to me moving forward.

Thanks for saving me the time.
The homeschool community is over 1000 big in Naples. We have about 6 different groups in SWFL and it grows weekly. I'm not sure why you think putting your kid in public/private school makes you superior in decision making . You are aware these kids winning all these Scribble competitions yearly aren't coming from public OR private schools right? I hope you also realize Ivy League schools make it a point to find homeschoolers. My daughter excelled so much after we pulled her she actually finished 1st grade months ago. She just turned 7. We had her tested and she's already begun 2nd grade while all
Her peers are still in 1st.

In the year and 2 months my daughter was at PME I was told "she doesn't need to know how to spell her sight words. She only needs to know how to read them. State testing is multiple choice", I was told she wasn't allow to attend the fall festival because she was a witch and it was not sensitive to others beliefs (nor were ghosts allowed). When she finished her reading requirements by 2 months into 1st grade (then went by color codes and they had to keep upping her) they told me they won't move her on beyond 1st grade reading. Why? Because she needed to be at the same level as other kids for state testing. Oh let's see she was also tested on every.. single.. book she was required to check out of the library.

PE included cupstacking... weekly... we were sent a note home 2 months into 1 at grade letting us know they were STILL trying to figure out class schedule and because of that they hadn't gotten time to get in science class.. they were working on it.. oh and then I got a call at 2 in the afternoon notifiying me that they had too many kids in my daughters class so the next morning she was chosen, with other kids in various classes, to be relocated to a new teacher. This was in Oct of last year. They pulled the kids into the library and told them just before school ended that day. They had to go back to class and pack their desks. When we asked to not move her we were told it was already set. She RESTARTED 1st grade in a new class 2 1/2 months in in a classroom that had nothing but a blackboard and a desks. Nothing on the walls. They sent her home with remedial kindergarten books that night for reading. When I told them she was beyond every first I was told the new teacher needs to assess her level and she'd need to mark her off through the levels.

Let's talk about 8 min recess. Any behavior that isn't deemed appropriate by them during lunch (which includes a woman walking around with a microphone hooked up to the sound system telling kids talk at a level , or sometimes not at all, no turning , no standing, no touch, no sharing) means time is taken off of recess. All children MUST walk with either both hands clasp behind their back, or one hand behind your back and one hand over your mouth in a shush gesture, or that hand in the air with two fingers up. No talk at all. Don't believe me ? Go take a tour and watch the kids walk from class to class. Add the locked cages around the entire school and it reminded my husband of when he was a cop and brought people down to the jails. We pulled her 5 days after they required us to switch her class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples