Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2017, 07:10 AM

34 posts, read 29,282 times

Advertisements

i just contracted to buy a condo (first floor of two stories) in naples. during inspection radon was found. a radon mitigation system is being installed by a reputable company. my question is once installed can i feel comfortable that this installation will correct the problem long term. just curious if anyone had this done and are satisfied or have they experienced problems that i should be aware of. thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2017, 11:02 AM

790 posts, read 503,780 times
You're good to go. They will tell you how to monitor that the system is working properly moving forward.

Old 06-25-2017, 05:15 PM

214 posts, read 285,887 times
Radon mitigation is a pretty sure bet. Our son has dealt with it in the northeast with no issue.

Old 03-23-2019, 10:39 AM

1 posts, read 1,437 times
Research conducted by the University of Central Florida's Solar Energy Center revealed that out of 21 ventilation systems they inspected, only one performed as it should.
[url]http://www.fsec.ucf.edu/en/publications/pdf/FSEC-CR-2002-15.pdf[/url]
If you have a ventilation (fresh air) system installed in your home, it would be a good idea to acquire a radon meter.
You can get one from Ebay for about $140.00.
Also, check my web at [url=http://www.smartventilation.com]Radon Mitigation by SmartVentilation, Inc.[/url]
Mold is a common occurrence after fresh air radon system installations in hot, humid climates
Do not rely on one of those U-tube manometers filled with blue oil.
They are not designed for nor do they provide correct indications of ventilation radon system operation.

Old 03-23-2019, 05:06 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,429,361 times
Good luck on the new hope. It is very good the seller has to add the system before the close.

More on Radon from the net for those not familar with it:

https://www.epa.gov/sites/production...s/hmbuygud.pdf

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radon_mitigation

Old 03-24-2019, 05:09 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,232,217 times
What were the levels before mitigation? The recommended EPA action level is 4.0.

I have a radon system in my new home (not in Naples) which I did for piece of mind as the test came out just over 4.

But here’s the rub - the risk factors are extrapolated from lung cancer rates experienced by miners who were in extremely high Radon areas, working many hours a day for decades.

The risk factors assume something like 18 hours a day in a closed environment. For DECADES. That’s not realistic.

Go outside? Reduces risk. Go out for some shopping and dinner? Reduces risk. Leave the doors and windows open to get a breeze when the weather is nice? Reduces risk. Go visit family for 2 weeks? Reduces risk.

While Radon is touted as the second leading cause of lung cancer I haven’t been able to find examples in an average home where lung cancer could definitively be pointed to Radon as a cause. I’m not doubting it’s dangerous, just that it’s not a death sentence, especially if the pre-mitigation levels are reasonable.

That’s why you need before and after readings.

Old 03-24-2019, 05:18 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,232,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne dean View Post
Research conducted by the University of Central Florida's Solar Energy Center revealed that out of 21 ventilation systems they inspected, only one performed as it should.
http://www.fsec.ucf.edu/en/publicati...CR-2002-15.pdf
If you have a ventilation (fresh air) system installed in your home, it would be a good idea to acquire a radon meter.
You can get one from Ebay for about $140.00.
Also, check my web at Radon Mitigation by SmartVentilation, Inc.
Mold is a common occurrence after fresh air radon system installations in hot, humid climates
Do not rely on one of those U-tube manometers filled with blue oil.
They are not designed for nor do they provide correct indications of ventilation radon system operation.
I realize you are selling something here, but I think you are also being vague.

The manometer has nothing to do with “ventilation”. It’s for sub-slab depressurization and shows if there is negative air pressure in the system to draw away Radon from under the foundation. Any system using this method should have a manometer and it is ventilating nothing in the living space.

I do agree that no matter what system you use, a Radon meter is a good thing. I have a very large basement and have 2 from Airthings.

Old 04-26-2019, 05:17 PM

4 posts, read 3,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
What were the levels before mitigation? The recommended EPA action level is 4.0.

I have a radon system in my new home (not in Naples) which I did for piece of mind as the test came out just over 4.

But here’s the rub - the risk factors are extrapolated from lung cancer rates experienced by miners who were in extremely high Radon areas, working many hours a day for decades.

The risk factors assume something like 18 hours a day in a closed environment. For DECADES. That’s not realistic.

Go outside? Reduces risk. Go out for some shopping and dinner? Reduces risk. Leave the doors and windows open to get a breeze when the weather is nice? Reduces risk. Go visit family for 2 weeks? Reduces risk.

While Radon is touted as the second leading cause of lung cancer I haven’t been able to find examples in an average home where lung cancer could definitively be pointed to Radon as a cause. I’m not doubting it’s dangerous, just that it’s not a death sentence, especially if the pre-mitigation levels are reasonable.

That’s why you need before and after readings.
You are absolutely correct! These questions are always evaded. How long must you stay in your completely closed house before this radon level has an affect on you? Most people don’t realize that a test taken on Tuesday that falls below the acceptable level of 4.0 pCi/L can be above 4.0 on Saturday. If you look where radon is predominately high, you will find that cancer levels do not coincide. Is radon an overblown issue? You can decide for yourself.

Old 04-27-2019, 02:56 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,429,361 times
You can also buy a twin radon kit at Lowes or similar. 2 small paint can type cups per package.

Very similar in size the model paint cups.

Follow easy directions.

Open on in on location , another in a 2nd location, leave undisturbed for a few days per instructions the cap the lids. Mail back to the company and get results back in a few days. Some states the radon company can charge a $10 fee or so for results, others states they can not charge a fee.

At least with these indications you can determine if your system is working or needs an adjustment.

I had to install a radon system back in the day for my new built home in PA. Worked as expected.

Good luck with your system!

Old 06-16-2019, 08:16 AM

13 posts, read 21,914 times
Quick question, we are planning to relocate to Naples from Virginia (we will try not to add to the traffic congestion). Is radon a common issue on the newer single floor homes built on a slab? Do the new home builders offer radon solutions if too high? Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples