U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 03:23 PM

155 posts, read 219,526 times

Advertisements

Here we go:

Hurricane Irma dealt big blow to Collier beaches, to tune of $35 million

Quote:

Based on past experience with other storms, he expects FEMA to reimburse the county 75 percent of the money the county spends on the project.

"It's not going to happen overnight," McAlpin said. "We have to get the permitting in place. We have to get DEP to approve what we're looking at. Then we will move forward with a beach renourishment."

The county, he said, has not determined how it will carry out the project, but it will not involve hauling sand to the beaches by truck, which in the past has stirred controversy.

The county lost between 40 and 50 linear feet of dry beach, plus a foot to 2 feet of height, according to estimates. Also, all of the berms were destroyed, along with all of the vegetation on top of them.

In quick response to the storm, the county signed two emergency contracts dealing with beaches, including one valued at $200,000 to help get them cleaned up, a task McAlpin said would have "overwhelmed our internal forces." The other contract for $50,000 paid for the initial damage assessment, he said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2017, 04:34 PM

18 posts, read 14,705 times
Wow -- so taxes will go uuuuuuuuppppppppppppp.

Old 09-26-2017, 09:23 AM

10,850 posts, read 12,799,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
There will be some good real estate deals in the keys.

You might be surprised. People that wanted to sell, sold long way back. People will hold out for their money that don't want/have to sell.....Keys is the most underpriced water front in the entire country
I disagree.....Sure you might be able to score a cheap waterfront lot but after the permit hassles (remember anything new has to meet the new building codes) and the insane prices of new construction (yeah, be ready for price hikes in material, labor for every trade from roofing to landscaping!).

Lets say a 2/2 shack on a 75 ft wide waterfront lot was listed for 500K. Storm blows the shack away, surge washes the lot clean. Lets say the owner dumps the lot for 200K. You need to rebuild the same 2/2 1500 sq ft house but now it has to be on stilts to avoid the surge. You probably won't build wood/stick frame like the first house. You need impact glass/shutters. Do you think you can build a new house for $200 a sq ft? Not a chance. So lets say it becomes $300 a sq ft, now just the construction costs are $450,000!

Lot 200K, house 450K for a $650,000 total.......yet the stuff didn't sell before for 500K when it was listed pre storm! Mortgage company is going to determine the price per sq ft for what it sold for pre-storm so unless you are bringing a ton of cash to the closing don't expect anyone to finance your 650K home.

Old 09-26-2017, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by night0wl View Post
It'll all be cash deals...the Keys will be uninsurable for both private windstorm and perhaps federal flood insurance going forward. In which case, it'll be impossible to get a mortgage.
Which will crush the sales.........

Old 09-26-2017, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Which will crush the sales.........

Its supply and demand. When prices drop, quantity demanded rise. There will be a new equilibrium. Sales will probably go down short term but they'll be back. However, pricing will likely be lower.

Old 09-26-2017, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Its supply and demand. When prices drop, quantity demanded rise. There will be a new equilibrium. Sales will probably go down short term but they'll be back. However, pricing will likely be lower.
I think the demand is going to be lower. Personally I don't like the FL keys. I think it is full of lowlifes that dropped out of Main Street USA and ended up in the keys! I don't fish/dive enough to consider any type of property ownership down there. The trailer parks, tacky souvenir/t shirt shops don't do it for me. Add in the hassle of getting to/from there (especially anywhere near a holiday) makes the whole chain of islands too much of a hassle for me.

If I was the Governor of FL I would declare all trailers in the FL keys condemned. If they are habitable now then you get 5 years to do something with the property then they are crushed. Short term it would cause headaches but long term you would make the keys a more sound place to live.

Can you imagine the rat problem the keys just got exposed to? The stench from the rotting fish/seaweed has to be untolerable and the debris piled everywhere simply compounds the problems of travel/clean up and reconstruction.

Old 09-26-2017, 10:47 AM

192 posts, read 103,316 times
I'll be down there in a couple weeks cash in hand looking for ocean front deals.

I like the keys.

Naplesfan

Old 09-26-2017, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
I think the demand is going to be lower. Personally I don't like the FL keys. I think it is full of lowlifes that dropped out of Main Street USA and ended up in the keys! I don't fish/dive enough to consider any type of property ownership down there. The trailer parks, tacky souvenir/t shirt shops don't do it for me. Add in the hassle of getting to/from there (especially anywhere near a holiday) makes the whole chain of islands too much of a hassle for me.

If I was the Governor of FL I would declare all trailers in the FL keys condemned. If they are habitable now then you get 5 years to do something with the property then they are crushed. Short term it would cause headaches but long term you would make the keys a more sound place to live.

Can you imagine the rat problem the keys just got exposed to? The stench from the rotting fish/seaweed has to be untolerable and the debris piled everywhere simply compounds the problems of travel/clean up and reconstruction.

Sorry to say it, but take a drive down to Marco Island and Goodland right now. I was there this past weekend...the stench there is just as bad. It may be dying mangroves or overflowing sewers, but we could hardly stand it when we had to go clean up our boat. To the point my eyes were burning and I felt sick. So if thats the barometer of recovery, Collier County has its own challenges.

Yes, older homes that were permanently damaged will be condemned. Trailers will likely face more scrutiny. But the good news is that what replaces them will be sturdier. I will admit something. I used to be one of those guys that moaned and groaned about how new houses just aren't built as well as my 1950s era concrete home in FTL. My brand new home took a direct hit from Irma and escaped with slipped tiles on the roof. Three of them only. ANd a dropped hibiscus. I am gobsmacked there wasn't anything more than that. The newer construction build to the latest hurricane code is working (and it pains me to say that because its not what Florida should look like).

I really think that older homes are going to really suffer in the marketplace because of how poorly they fared vs. new homes build to post-Andrew post-Wilma code.

Old 09-26-2017, 01:46 PM

7,199 posts, read 3,928,963 times
Quote:
My brand new home took a direct hit from Irma and escaped with slipped tiles on the roof. Three of them only. ANd a dropped hibiscus. I am gobsmacked there wasn't anything more than that. The newer construction build to the latest hurricane code is working (and it pains me to say that because its not what Florida should look like).

I really think that older homes are going to really suffer in the marketplace because of how poorly they fared vs. new homes build to post-Andrew post-Wilma code.
I lost a couple of small screen panels (due to a tree branch from off my property crashing through), and a couple of bushes which may be able to be still saved. No roof damage, window damage, water intrusion, etc.

Rather than buy a hip older home by the water I went for new construction a couple of years ago, and the results speak for themselves.

Old 09-26-2017, 02:39 PM

192 posts, read 103,316 times
My home was built in 1957. Roof beams are 4X6 dade county pine. It's close to the water and at 13'6" elevation.

This house has withstood every hurricane since then including Donna.. Worse damage it ever suffered was a broken window. That was my fault. I forgot to shutter it. They made tough houses then that were also made to make it through a hurricane.

Naplesfan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or