Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2017, 02:07 PM

18,429 posts, read 8,258,982 times

Advertisements

"Honestly, I am not the slightest bit worried about getting attacked by a panther etc."

What we have now is some hybrid that doesn't even look like a Florida panther. I grew up with them, even knew people that had them as pets. That was legal to do back then. These cats look and act more like the western cougars they were bred with. Bigger, more aggressive, and less wary of people....I don't trust them at all.

The croc under the dock....is not a pet though. We don't feed it or interact with it...so far that's working

I'm researching elec fences on the internet and learning about them...also considering land mines!! LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2017, 06:30 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,087,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
"Honestly, I am not the slightest bit worried about getting attacked by a panther etc."

What we have now is some hybrid that doesn't even look like a Florida panther. I grew up with them, even knew people that had them as pets. That was legal to do back then. These cats look and act more like the western cougars they were bred with. Bigger, more aggressive, and less wary of people....I don't trust them at all.
Regardless, I am not at all worried about them or anything else, for that matter, attacking me in my yard, electric fence or no.

Quote:
The croc under the dock....is not a pet though. We don't feed it or interact with it...so far that's working
As it should be. It's still cool. Crocs are very rare in FL.

Quote:
I'm researching elec fences on the internet and learning about them...also considering land mines!! LOL
Claymores would be effective too, although the neighbors might not approve!

Old 12-19-2017, 03:52 PM

18,429 posts, read 8,258,982 times
Not so rare any more.....about 6 years ago they went out and did a survey....of course, found a lot more than they expected.....downgraded from endangered to just threatened....I suspect the next survey they will be downgraded to concerned...it's hard to get them to downgrade something...too much money ridding on it
Oddest thing....during that survey they found some "odd" crocs...had them DNA'd....they turned out to be African crocs...the man eaters...so I guess we're going to loose our native crocs...just like the Florida panthers

Old 12-27-2017, 04:11 PM

1,333 posts, read 2,197,769 times
I live in rural part of Florida and I've rarely seen large acreage with a full chain link fence. Most people use hog wire.

Old 03-21-2018, 10:41 AM

92 posts, read 101,441 times
Old thread but also am looking in GGE and a fence would probably be needed for wifes peace of mind. The electrical one is interesting.
However I'd never fence in the whole 2.5 acres, cost a small fortune.
Just enough around the back of the house to protect the pool area, maybe a garden, and some landscaping, and a gate for the front and fence the front of the house up to the ROW I'm thinking?

Old 03-22-2018, 06:31 AM

788 posts, read 783,508 times
I can see having a nice fenced dog run just so a dogs not on some cable or chain but for wild game you have to add three strands of electrified ribbon to any fence to keep critters to bears out 5" off the ground mid way and top of a fence . Note this video shows a tall chain link fence with barbed wire top does little to slow a determined black bear .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhwfGLfDGCg

If your near water don't forget about the gators !!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Qp_bUYPrTg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
View detailed profiles of: