Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 09:22 AM

731 posts, read 766,934 times

Advertisements

Thundarr: Totally agree with you. We had a lot of homes in our community just sitting there not being sold for about a year. Now all of a sudden a lot of them are going to contract on the homes where the owners reduced the prices.

There are so many new homes being built it's crazy. I can't believe the prices they are asking considering where some of these communities are located. Last summer we looked at a lot of the new developments with our friends who were looking. They couldn't believe the taxes, CDD, HOA fees no less the prices. They ended up buying in a older established community for a lot less and they are very happy.

It should be interesting to see the future of Naples real estate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2018, 09:34 AM

110 posts, read 128,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
It is the high prices. Naples aint Beverly Hills or Seattle or Manhattan. it's SW Florida. There is still a lot of land in the area the further you get from the beach. There is no reason why it's as expensive as it is and that's why homes are selling same as in the 10 slowest markets in the country.

I think only people in Naples think it's special. I never thought of Naples as upscale.
I used to think Naples was very high priced but just recently I realized it is not as high priced as I thought. I live in a top 10 city population wise that has some low home prices but the home prices where I am are rising now as well. A $550,000 house in Naples would go for around $400,000-$450,000 here so I look at Naples as having around a $100,000-$150,000 premium but Naples is so much nicer. The grass is greener. The air is cleaner. The roads are in much better shape. The property taxes are around half as much percentage wise. Those are some of the reasons I'm moving to Naples. Different people enjoy different kind of lifestyles. I would hate living in Manhattan. It is really gross. $550,000 in Manhattan would get you a shoebox of an apartment. I have not been to Seattle so I can not comment on it but Beverly Hills while very nice is probably priced 5 times as high as Naples plus they have insane taxes.

Old 03-21-2018, 02:17 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,232,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
Barb, You live in one of the best areas, I don't think it is indicative of the rest of Naples. If I was moving to Naples I would consider your community my first choice. I think the problem is a combination of overbuilding and high prices. Naples has always been a haven for wealthy retirees and snowbirds and the vast amount of building cannot be absorbed. When we were looking there a few years ago there was so many new houses it would take 5 years to sell them if no more were built. There are other areas of Florida that are more attractive for young families and more affordable, especially with rising interest rates.
But there are still plenty of near-retirees up north that want to escape the cold and the high taxes. Naples still is attractive for many reasons. Cash deals if the price is right.

Old 03-24-2018, 10:54 AM

989 posts, read 768,841 times
I do not think it is price. We were just there looking to relocate from NE Florida. We spend 3 days of heavy trekking looking for a suitable neighborhood that we liked. We found a few, and we are cash buyers. The more we looked around we saw a lot of commonality. While Collier county does a great job in cleaning up after a storm/hurricane, individual homeowners did not. Virtually every home in the areas we like still had roof damage and some with tarps still on their roofs. This REALLY put us off to the point we decided we did not want to move there, at least not now. We also have been through 2 hurricanes recently but after a couple of months you would never know. But not in SW Florida, we were not looking in low price areas. Yes we saw at least 3 home that we liked, all in upscale resort communities. But when the Clubhouse roof still has broken roof tiles and damaged hip tiles, and every 5th home has some sort of damage, that can be a real off putter. I am sure it is because there was a lot of damage and the trades are stretched, but it does not make it any better. That was the primary concern the other was the terrible traffic, season or no season, it also put us off.

Old 03-24-2018, 12:45 PM

110 posts, read 128,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shokwaverider View Post
I do not think it is price. We were just there looking to relocate from NE Florida. We spend 3 days of heavy trekking looking for a suitable neighborhood that we liked. We found a few, and we are cash buyers. The more we looked around we saw a lot of commonality. While Collier county does a great job in cleaning up after a storm/hurricane, individual homeowners did not. Virtually every home in the areas we like still had roof damage and some with tarps still on their roofs. This REALLY put us off to the point we decided we did not want to move there, at least not now. We also have been through 2 hurricanes recently but after a couple of months you would never know. But not in SW Florida, we were not looking in low price areas. Yes we saw at least 3 home that we liked, all in upscale resort communities. But when the Clubhouse roof still has broken roof tiles and damaged hip tiles, and every 5th home has some sort of damage, that can be a real off putter. I am sure it is because there was a lot of damage and the trades are stretched, but it does not make it any better. That was the primary concern the other was the terrible traffic, season or no season, it also put us off.
That is not unusual in any area after a major storm like Naples faced in 2017. Some roofers and cage people in Naples still have a 4-6 month backlog. In my state we had a major hail storm. It took a full year for roofers to catch up with demand.

Old 03-24-2018, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shokwaverider View Post
You obviously didn’t look at my clubhouse, it was totally reroofed a month ago. But there are still a handful of houses out of a couple hundred with remaining damage.

The general advantage of buying into a new/newer community is that people are still well enough off having just built/bought. When you have 20 year old communities many of the residents are long retired and just hanging in there - the several thousand dollar expense to repair damaged items may not be easily done for many.

Old 03-24-2018, 07:49 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,891,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
It is the high prices. Naples aint Beverly Hills or Seattle or Manhattan. it's SW Florida. There is still a lot of land in the area the further you get from the beach. There is no reason why it's as expensive as it is and that's why homes are selling same as in the 10 slowest markets in the country.

I think only people in Naples think it's special. I never thought of Naples as upscale.
I think it is very special, it's crazy the amount of multi million dollar homes that Naples has, and it's not near a major metropolitan area, or have any industry.

Old 03-24-2018, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
I think it is very special, it's crazy the amount of multi million dollar homes that Naples has, and it's not near a major metropolitan area, or have any industry.
Nice weather, no income tax and retirees with wealth...

Old 03-24-2018, 09:33 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,891,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Nice weather, no income tax and retirees with wealth...
I was on zillow the other day trying to see where all the homes for sale over 30M were, and Naples had more than Texas, and most states I thought that was a little insane.

Old 03-25-2018, 08:13 AM

6,391 posts, read 4,896,864 times
I think Naples of years ago was better. There was much less traffic and not so many new homes being built. But the trouble with Paradise is that everyone wants to move there. Now its overcrowded during season and a lot of the charm has been lost. We absolutely loved it there, but the housing was pricey, beach access was not ideal (even though the beaches and sunsets are exquisite) and healthcare was not what we were looking for. Its great for a visit. We love shopping in all the fancy stores, looking at awesome cars, eating on the waterfront and the overall cleanliness of the area. Its great for a 2-3 visit off season and we are looking forward to going, but living there was not in the cards for us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples