Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2018, 10:31 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,245,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
From Wikipedia:

The average household size was 1.92 and the average family size was 2.38. In the city, the population was spread out with 10.9% under the age of 18, 2.3% from 18 to 24, 14.5% from 25 to 44, 30.0% from 45 to 64, and 42.3% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 61 years.

Did you notice 2.3% from 18-24.
To be fair that’s the City of Naples, not including the surrounding unincorporated Collier County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2018, 12:41 PM

18,444 posts, read 8,272,093 times
You know.......I've got friends in Naples that have kids in the 20yo range.....they all seem to have a lot of friends....are constantly active doing and planning something or the other...and none of them go to Miami, Fl Lauderdale, etc
Maybe you guys are just not hanging with the kids in that age group..

Old 04-03-2018, 03:14 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,245,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
You know.......I've got friends in Naples that have kids in the 20yo range.....they all seem to have a lot of friends....are constantly active doing and planning something or the other...and none of them go to Miami, Fl Lauderdale, etc
Maybe you guys are just not hanging with the kids in that age group..
I'm sure there must be things to do of course...consider though that the majority of Naples still revolves around "season" and retirees. My golf club has "welcome mixers" and "goodbye dinners" and so on. I don't play Mahjong or bridge nor do I go to 60's cover band dinners at the clubhouse. Until there is a demographic shift I doubt this will change anytime soon.

I heard a Top Golf is opening in Ft Myers which will help (and is a lot of fun albeit expensive).

Also, kayaking and hanging at the beach is great to do for younger people. Tennis and golf obviously too.

So in the absence of not a lot to do I'm sure your friends' kids probably do what kids anywhere do - make their own fun.

Old 04-03-2018, 03:38 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,089,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
I'm sure there must be things to do of course...consider though that the majority of Naples still revolves around "season" and retirees. My golf club has "welcome mixers" and "goodbye dinners" and so on. I don't play Mahjong or bridge nor do I go to 60's cover band dinners at the clubhouse. Until there is a demographic shift I doubt this will change anytime soon.

I heard a Top Golf is opening in Ft Myers which will help (and is a lot of fun albeit expensive).

Also, kayaking and hanging at the beach is great to do for younger people. Tennis and golf obviously too.

So in the absence of not a lot to do I'm sure your friends' kids probably do what kids anywhere do - make their own fun.

I've got 2 20 something kids. The younger one is 21 and still lives at home while going to school and he works.

In his off time, he mainly plays video games, and occasionally goes out with friends. They hang out at Miller's/Mercato, the pier etc. He goes fishing, plays paintball and shoots at the gun range. He will very likely have to leave Naples to make a living.

The older is 24 and could not wait to get out of Naples. She lives in Denver now and absolutely loves it.

Old 04-03-2018, 07:41 PM

6,415 posts, read 4,911,200 times
Its different if you grew up there and have friends or have lived there awhile vs moving there as a 20 year old and trying to fit in. With such a small amount of people in their 20's living there, the odds are against you. Naples is not a destination spot for 20 year olds, as we all know, its primarily a snowbird/senior paradise. Cities like Tampa and Miami are loaded with young people because they have many things to do vs Naples where everyone's in bed by 8.

Old 04-03-2018, 08:15 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,089,627 times
FWIW, I moved here a month before my 23rd birthday, and LOVED it, but at the time, Naples was the perfect place for the things I enjoyed doing. I was never into "nightlife" per se, and made lifelong friends around my age that share my interests.

Last edited by Tripower455; 04-03-2018 at 08:36 PM..

Old 04-04-2018, 11:47 AM

122 posts, read 201,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
Pretty much... we're here in Naples visiting after being away for 8 months and my god... the old people.... everywhere we go its just old people... hanging out in stores, dragging the half working carcass across the street, standing in the aisles staring at products... its unreal. We notice it even more now that we've moved to a larger city with young people..
Just remember Sweetbottoms if you are lucky, you will be old someday too. I'm guessing from your past posts you are about my age. I always help older people anyway I can when possible. I respect my elders and understand that alot of what they do is just the way it is sometimes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples