Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2018, 06:59 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,087,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
An finishing the 4 lane also allowed the game fencing to be installed for safety on each side of the road and that closed off any easy access to some hunt camps or hunting grounds and fishing in the ole borrow pits or creeks along side gator alley even easy access to the south blocks .
Great point!

We used to be able to access Everglades Blvdand other roads like Turner River Rd right from SR 84.Once they 4 laned it, we had to go out GGB to Everglades, which added at least 15-20 minutes, even over 20 years ago when there were only a few houses east of Wilson.

Quote:
There is or were a couple more fly in camps out in the big cypress like Mr. Paul Franks camp who also with his brother Mr Ed "Bubba" Frank were credited for making the first swamp buggy . Mr Franks camp was a bit north and east of Popenhager's camp best I can remember but its been many years since I went by ether camp .

Very cool! I'd love to have a camp out there to get away from the snowbirds in the winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2018, 07:49 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,232,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripower455 View Post
Very cool! I'd love to have a camp out there to get away from the snowbirds in the winter.

Old 05-07-2018, 08:58 AM

I've got PSSD. Post Snowbird Stress Disorder.

Old 05-07-2018, 10:49 AM

45 posts, read 37,651 times
[quote=Tripower455;51819068 I'd love to have a camp out there to get away from the snowbirds in the winter. [/QUOTE]

I will return to Naples after Christmas. Can you be gone by then?

Old 05-07-2018, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DestinationNaples View Post
I will return to Naples after Christmas. Can you be gone by then?
Ahhh.... The wonderful, entitled Snowbird attitude. The locals should leave because we aren't thrilled about you screwing up our quality of life for over half the year.

Send me the $3.2M for the Romor Ranch, and I guarantee I'll be gone.

Barring that, I am certainly not gonna leave my home of over 31 years, at the only time the weather is good, just to please you.

Why not just do us all a favor and stay wherever it is you are?

Besides, I can guarantee that nothing I've done (other than my post above, apparently) has or will impact your life as negatively as the overbuilding/overcrowding in Naples has mine and everyone else that actually live here.

The result of the incessant overbuilding is an influx of new year round residents, as well as exponentially more snowbirds.

Because of this, "Season" has become a complete nightmare here the last few years.

Last edited by Tripower455; 05-07-2018 at 12:09 PM..

Old 05-07-2018, 12:33 PM

331 posts, read 452,443 times
The "Naples Newspaper", is pro Rural Lands West and further growth. Everyone of their lame comments, (preserve being set aside there for the panthers to travel away from the development, that building on farmland is good because there is too much farmland, and currently harm quality of life.) can be so easily torn apart. Do these guys even know what a map is? This will butt up against the preserves already there and I need to see what under utilized farmland in Collier with some statistics. And to the Quality of Life issue, maybe we could build more north south roads to redirect traffic patterns. This is where looking at a map would truly answer this comment.

10000 homes and another 2300 at the north end of Everglades at Immokalee Rd. Eastern Collier County up to the expressway would be deadlocked.

I am surprised that no one has brought the 1% sales tax!

Old 05-07-2018, 12:48 PM

45 posts, read 37,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripower455 View Post
Send me the $3.2M for the Romor Ranch, and I guarantee I'll be gone.

Barring that, I am certainly not gonna leave my home of over 31 years, at the only time the weather is good, just to please you. Why not just do us all a favor and stay wherever it is you are?

Besides, I can guarantee that nothing I've done (other than my post above, apparently) has or will impact your life as negatively as the overbuilding/overcrowding in Naples has mine and everyone else that actually live here.

The result of the incessant overbuilding is an influx of new year round residents, as well as exponentially more snowbirds.

Because of this, "Season" has become a complete nightmare here the last few years.
We are alike in one respect in that I am not going to stop coming to Naples to please you. We are different in that I will not incessantly p*ss and moan about how unhappy I am in Southwest Florida [In fact, I love it here and intend to recommend to my friends that they too become snowbirds in the area.] At least Sweetbottoms, who seemed to be equally unhappy, stopped complaining and moved to a place where she thought she might find happiness. There has to be some remote wilderness area that would suit you.

Old 05-07-2018, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron e wheels View Post
The "Naples Newspaper", is pro Rural Lands West and further growth. Everyone of their lame comments, (preserve being set aside there for the panthers to travel away from the development, that building on farmland is good because there is too much farmland, and currently harm quality of life.) can be so easily torn apart. Do these guys even know what a map is? This will butt up against the preserves already there and I need to see what under utilized farmland in Collier with some statistics.
Anecdotally, if there's too much farm land, then why did my RC club lose the lease to our measly 10 acre field to Oakes Farms after over 2 decades?

Quote:
And to the Quality of Life issue, maybe we could build more north south roads to redirect traffic patterns. This is where looking at a map would truly answer this comment.
The lack of major roads that actually connect to other major roads has become a real problem in eastern Collier, and is my number one pet peeve here. Due to this, pretty much every intersection east of I75 becomes a choke point, since there are simply no alternate routes.

Unless you go east out to Immokalee, all GGE northbound traffic HAS to go west on Immokalee or Pine Ridge Rd all the way to I75 before they can go north.

Some other, LONG overdue things that would help immensely in relieving some of the bottlenecks are:

Extending 951 up to at least Corkscrew Rd. or Alico Rd.

Extending VBR out to DeSoto.

Extending Oil Well Grade Rd up to at least Corkscrew or better yet, 82.

A southern GGE interchange at the Alley.

Everglades Blvd. is already, more or less, set up for it.

Bonus points if they reopened Miller or extended Everglades down through Picayune to 41, but that'll never happen. It's a shame because it would help immensely with the traffic density in East Naples around the 41/951 area, as well as the entire 951 corridor, as it would offer a north/south alternate to 951 and 41.

Quote:
10000 homes and another 2300 at the north end of Everglades at Immokalee Rd. Eastern Collier County up to the expressway would be deadlocked.
All of the major intersections are just about gridlocked now, especially during demolition derby season.

Quote:
I am surprised that no one has brought the 1% sales tax!
Great idea!

Old 05-07-2018, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPrzybylski07 View Post
What a nice Saturday morning read along with some coffee. That Collier guy was a machine! Thanks Tripower

Here's another decent article about the history of GGE.

A Google search for Gulf American Land Corp. will yield hours of interesting reading.

Lost City Of The Everglades Golden Gate Estates Was Going To Be The ``city Of The Future.`` Too Bad The Land-scam Artists Didn`t Make Good On Their Promise. - tribunedigital-sunsentinel

Old 05-08-2018, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DestinationNaples View Post
We are alike in one respect in that I am not going to stop coming to Naples to please you. We are different in that I will not incessantly p*ss and moan about how unhappy I am in Southwest Florida [In fact, I love it here and intend to recommend to my friends that they too become snowbirds in the area.] At least Sweetbottoms, who seemed to be equally unhappy, stopped complaining and moved to a place where she thought she might find happiness.
We are also different in that if I were new to an area, I wouldn't dismiss legitimate observations about an area I've never lived in, especially those of a long term, full time resident.

Am I a bit bitter? Yup!

I'm betting that you'd be too if you personally experienced your home of 30+ years being systematically destroyed in the name of "progress".

It wouldn't be so bad if the county took some proactive measures and actually improved the infrastructure to handle the influx of humanity before approving all of these high density developments like RLW, but, as usual, the almighty buck reigns supreme and everyone that lives there suffers.

Quote:
There has to be some remote wilderness area that would suit you.

There was. I've lived there for 20 years.

Ironically, it's within a 15 minute bike ride of your house. Along with thousands of others that weren't there a few years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples