U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-12-2006, 02:57 PM

31 posts, read 96,189 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We are busy packing up our house to move to Naples. My husband received a promotion that he could not pass up and has moved already to Naples.

Any ideas on what to do for fun? I have teenagers - 14, 13, and 12 year old.

Give me the good and bad about Naples!

Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2006, 03:04 PM

4,232 posts, read 8,330,666 times
Want steak? Go to Andre's Steakhouse.....incredible

Old 12-15-2006, 08:13 AM

2,085 posts, read 3,878,911 times
Default Naples-good and bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by needachange View Post
Hi,

We are busy packing up our house to move to Naples. My husband received a promotion that he could not pass up and has moved already to Naples.

Thanks.
If you have housing that is the number one headache out of the way.

Very limited activities for teens. My daughter (now 21) complained constantly-and still does.

Jungle Larry's Zoo is good. Residents get in free one Saturday per month during certain hours-can't remember which.

The mall, skateboard park, beach, movies, and parks are some others. Overall Naples is oriented for wealthy retirees. This attitude is prevalent in the decisions of the politicians. Wealthy retirees have kids that are grown and therfore don't want to support kid's stuff-or schools-that they will never need.

On the positive side, Naples has great restaurants and shopping.

Where will you be living? I have been here 20 years. I work in public safety and am familiar with every corner of the area.

Old 12-15-2006, 11:17 AM

Default renting

we are renting an apartment for now at Malibu Lakes.

Thanks for the information.

Old 12-15-2006, 12:23 PM

943 posts, read 1,828,483 times
My sister, her husband, daughter 16 and son 10 live in Naples and own a home. Also her older daughter that is 21 with her boyfriend rent an apartment off Golden Gate. My sisters family does not make over 50k (middle income family) and lives in a pretty home about 1600 sq ft on 1.25 acres. They purchased they're home 2 years ago off Immoklee (hope I spelled it right). Her teenage daughter LOVES it. Shes in a dance group at school and always gets together with friends. Her high school looks like a community college, very upscale. My sister watches her budget and wouldn't change Naples for any other city. Her son loves his school and friends. My eldest neice works as a receptionist and her boyfriend in construction, their apartmetn looks like a little town house and she loves it there. Good luck with you're move. Where are you moving from??

Old 12-15-2006, 12:38 PM

1,245 posts, read 95,535 times
I don't have much good to say about Naples. It's hot and humid, sometimes even in the winter (better have sunglasses, you'll need them every single day). The traffic is absolutely terrible (pathetic planning). Affordable housing is non-existent (again due to pathetic planning). There are some in Naples that want to create some sort of pseudo millionaire utopia. The problem is, there aren't even regular people around (due to lack of housing) to support a viable workforce. Restaurants, supermarkets, gas stations...they all have a shortage of employees. And it's not just them, teachers, police officers, and firefighters can't afford to live here, either.

This past summer, the Naples newspaper did a series of stories about the housing situation. They even interviewed a pharmacist who turned down a job in the area because he couldn't afford it...a pharmacist.

I'm not sure where you're from, but the kind of people you'll see around town, here, is nothing like where you currently live. You'll see LOTS of retirees, especially in the winter, where they are like locusts, clogging every single road in the county. You'll also see many latinos, which isn't normally a problem, except so many of them don't speak English, so good luck having any kind of social interaction. The crime rate isn't terrible, but it's not good either. The Naples newspaper is notorius for not reporting violent crimes in their newspaper (you usually have to read the Fort Myers paper to hear about them).

I could go on, but you probably get the idea. I'm getting out of here as fast as I can. I'm a 31 year old professional with a bachelors degree and I can't wait to get out. My fiancee and I are starting a family, soon, and Naples is not a good place to do it.

The best part of it all...it's Florida, the place where you need a permit just to use a public restroom. (ya, that's sarcasm)

Old 12-15-2006, 01:07 PM

Location: Orlando, FL - used to be nice, a dump now. Anyone speak English down here???
340 posts, read 51,595 times
Quote:
Hi,

Thanks.
Naples was the bulls eye for 3 hurricanes... 2004 and 2005.

Home prices are through the roof, the market was listed in the top 10 most risky in the USA right now(search Msn on the real estate section, I just saw an article last night).

Crime is kinda high too. Security will be an issue. It is south Florida, you need to get your Spanish in order or learn it ASAP.

If you live near the water or 100 feet to the coast/shoreline, your home owner's insurance will be as high as $20k per year.

Cheers!

Old 12-15-2006, 01:09 PM

Location: Orlando, FL - used to be nice, a dump now. Anyone speak English down here???
340 posts, read 51,595 times
Quote:
Hi,

Thanks.
PS. I notice your username is "NeedaChange". Now, go for a change for the best, not a change for the worst. South and Central Florida is NOT it. Try northern Florida.... it is still safer, cleaner, and more affordable. Or look for NC, TN, TX.

Old 12-15-2006, 03:22 PM

We are moving from Massachusetts in two weeks. Hubby received a promotion to move Naples.

We went down before Thanksgiving and loved the area. He is currently down there and will be back next week to help pack up.

We will keep the kids involved in scouting so that they can make friends.

Old 12-15-2006, 03:31 PM

14,468 posts, read 15,981,026 times
Question interesting-you never hear about this-

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingFlorida05 View Post
I don't have much good to say about Naples. It's hot and humid, sometimes even in the winter (better have sunglasses, you'll need them every single day). The traffic is absolutely terrible (pathetic planning). Affordable housing is non-existent (again due to pathetic planning). There are some in Naples that want to create some sort of pseudo millionaire utopia. The problem is, there aren't even regular people around (due to lack of housing) to support a viable workforce. Restaurants, supermarkets, gas stations...they all have a shortage of employees. And it's not just them, teachers, police officers, and firefighters can't afford to live here, either.

This past summer, the Naples newspaper did a series of stories about the housing situation. They even interviewed a pharmacist who turned down a job in the area because he couldn't afford it...a pharmacist.

I'm not sure where you're from, but the kind of people you'll see around town, here, is nothing like where you currently live. You'll see LOTS of retirees, especially in the winter, where they are like locusts, clogging every single road in the county. You'll also see many latinos, which isn't normally a problem, except so many of them don't speak English, so good luck having any kind of social interaction. The crime rate isn't terrible, but it's not good either. The Naples newspaper is notorius for not reporting violent crimes in their newspaper (you usually have to read the Fort Myers paper to hear about them).

I could go on, but you probably get the idea. I'm getting out of here as fast as I can. I'm a 31 year old professional with a bachelors degree and I can't wait to get out. My fiancee and I are starting a family, soon, and Naples is not a good place to do it.

The best part of it all...it's Florida, the place where you need a permit just to use a public restroom. (ya, that's sarcasm)
I was further SE/Boca- which yes- is a great area too- but seems like the same issues- no workers- no small business (there was a bagel shop that declared bankruptcy 2x) in Palm Beach Cty- The only stores are Publix and malls. There is no infrastructure- I guess that is what it is like where you are. As someone wrote yesterday- the pictures are beautiful- but don't pay the mortgage. Is all this from poor town planning?.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples