U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-18-2018, 12:30 PM
 
Location: Braves Country
192 posts, read 252,874 times
Reputation: 143

Advertisements

Greetings from Georgia everyone! My wife and I are planning a late Fall trip to Marco Island. Neither one of us have been there and was hoping we could get some tips.( i.e. places to go, things to do, places to eat) Any advice and/or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Also, what is "RED TIDE" and has it affected the beaches in Collier County? Ive done some research but maybe someone with first hand experience could better explain this.
Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-18-2018, 12:37 PM
 
8 posts, read 7,879 times
Reputation: 16
It's an algae bloom that kills fish/marine life....imagine the smell of walking along a beach covered in dead fish in 90+ degree heat....yes, it's mid-October and still over 90 degrees.


Plan for bumper to bumper traffic and crowded restaurants at night.


Red tide has gotten better but you should double check before you go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2018, 12:44 PM
 
Location: In Miami but, Inside the Resistance !!
1,790 posts, read 822,988 times
Reputation: 981
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasdave22 View Post
It's an algae bloom that kills fish/marine life....imagine the smell of walking along a beach covered in dead fish in 90+ degree heat....yes, it's mid-October and still over 90 degrees.


Plan for bumper to bumper traffic and crowded restaurants at night.


Red tide has gotten better but you should double check before you go.
No way to welcome visitors !!!!!

Traffic is not EVER 5th Ave NY, many restaurants will not be packed, and the beaches should have cleared by then And Marco small as it is its plenty of Fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2018, 01:14 PM
 
1,213 posts, read 1,395,416 times
Reputation: 1091
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammocks Bum View Post
No way to welcome visitors !!!!!

Traffic is not EVER 5th Ave NY, many restaurants will not be packed, and the beaches should have cleared by then And Marco small as it is its plenty of Fun.
Have you driven in Naples/Marco lately? I grew up and learned to drive on LI, and the traffic, especially in season, will give the LIE a run for it's money these days. And it's getting worse by the day.

That said, late fall should still be fine for beach and restaurants, although the 'birds are already starting to come back in force.

Last edited by Tripower455; 10-18-2018 at 01:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2018, 02:20 PM
 
Location: In Miami but, Inside the Resistance !!
1,790 posts, read 822,988 times
Reputation: 981
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripower455 View Post
Have you driven in Naples/Marco lately? I grew up and learned to drive on LI, and the traffic, especially in season, will give the LIE a run for it's money these days. And it's getting worse by the day.

That said, late fall should still be fine for beach and restaurants, although the 'birds are already starting to come back in force.
I live in SE Fla, Lived before in the Suncoast of Fla, The Snowbirds are nowhere NE Traffic at it's WORSE !!!

Lets Welcome the Tourists and be more open to them...Marco Island is not Key West, Only one entrance and the same exit.... and by all means come and Visit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2018, 03:02 PM
 
50 posts, read 32,919 times
Reputation: 58
No red tide on Marco right now. I live here.

Late fall is fine for a visit. Restaurant reservations are easy to get. I just got a prime time reservation for Truluck on a Saturday night on open table.

Lots to do on Marco ie fishing, kayaking, paddle boarding at Tigertail Beach. I feel the restaurantson Marco are average at best but they don’t have to be great as the busy season packs them in regardless.

Touristy restaurant would be the Snook Inn. Food ok but it’s fun to sit near the water to watch boats and dolphins. We prefer just to cook in when we have guests. There are a lot of nice happy hours on Marco check out CJs on the Bay and Dolphin Tiki for the views. Davincis is fine Italian food and is in a shopping area with other good restaurants. Most not cheap though. Publix makes an awesome lunch sandwich and you can order lots of good food from their website and not have to wait in line. Two Publix supermarkets and one Winn Dixie for your shopping needs.

Boat rentals can be fun too. Take the day to go to Keywadin to check out the crowds. Or visit Sand Dollar Spit for great shelling.

Have fun
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2018, 11:11 PM
 
Location: Braves Country
192 posts, read 252,874 times
Reputation: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmw1964 View Post
No red tide on Marco right now. I live here.

Late fall is fine for a visit. Restaurant reservations are easy to get. I just got a prime time reservation for Truluck on a Saturday night on open table.

Lots to do on Marco ie fishing, kayaking, paddle boarding at Tigertail Beach. I feel the restaurantson Marco are average at best but they don’t have to be great as the busy season packs them in regardless.

Touristy restaurant would be the Snook Inn. Food ok but it’s fun to sit near the water to watch boats and dolphins. We prefer just to cook in when we have guests. There are a lot of nice happy hours on Marco check out CJs on the Bay and Dolphin Tiki for the views. Davincis is fine Italian food and is in a shopping area with other good restaurants. Most not cheap though. Publix makes an awesome lunch sandwich and you can order lots of good food from their website and not have to wait in line. Two Publix supermarkets and one Winn Dixie for your shopping needs.

Boat rentals can be fun too. Take the day to go to Keywadin to check out the crowds. Or visit Sand Dollar Spit for great shelling.

Have fun
Sounds great cmw1964! We've been to Key West a few times and loved it! However, this time we wanted a more relaxed environment. We've never been to Marco but exploring new places is part of the fun. I googled the Snook Inn and it looked pretty casual. We also like to cook in. (I hear stone crab are in season down there.)

The Red Tide concerned my wife a little and we have some friends in Sarasota that that painted a few troubling images in her head! I've also heard Keywadin was "awesome". We will plan to do that for sure! Just looking forward to kick back!

Also, has anyone been to Stan's Idle Hour in Goodland? Another acquaintance of ours from Fort Myers said they have live music and a festive atmosphere. Might check it out also.

Thank you all for your responses!! Greatly appreciated!

Last edited by boo radley; 10-18-2018 at 11:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2018, 03:18 AM
 
Location: In Miami but, Inside the Resistance !!
1,790 posts, read 822,988 times
Reputation: 981
From anywhere in Marco, Goodland is just minutes away..Great Seafood simple eateries, Stans is lots of fun. You may even try to venture out to Everglades City, 30 minutes from The Island.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2018, 11:09 AM
 
1,213 posts, read 1,395,416 times
Reputation: 1091
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammocks Bum View Post
I live in SE Fla, Lived before in the Suncoast of Fla, The Snowbirds are nowhere NE Traffic at it's WORSE !!!
Collier county has completely outgrown it's road infrastructure. One accident on a major road backs up traffic for miles, and they happen daily year round, but they are far more numerous in season.

It's not just the 'birds, but they definitely contribute to the overall misery on the roads, shopping, dining etc.

I try not to leave the "compound" much during the day in February and March, because the county pretty much gridlocks during the day.

Quote:
Lets Welcome the Tourists and be more open to them...Marco Island is not Key West, Only one entrance and the same exit.... and by all means come and Visit.
The tourists aren't the problem here. Unfettered development, without proportionate increases in infrastructure, has destroyed Collier County. And it's only getting worse.

As for Marco, you're 100% right.

It is different than KW. It has TWO ways in and out, which is good since 951 backs up like the LIE during the during daylight hours in season.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2018, 03:34 PM
 
Location: Golden GateEstates
240 posts, read 193,308 times
Reputation: 229
You can always go by boat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top