Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2018, 11:46 AM

18,285 posts, read 8,090,086 times

Advertisements

I know nothing about them...cost, maintenance, how often to change filters...how do you even know?

I think this is what we're going to need though...and I want to be able to drink the tap water

I have to watch my salt intake...so a salt water softener is out

I have hemochromatosis and iron in the drinking water would probably kill me......I think a RO/DI should take all the iron out....not really sure about that either

Thanks guys....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2018, 02:22 AM

72 posts, read 59,302 times
call Coastal Pump in White Lake Industrial Park by the road that goes back there to dump. Ask for Richard ............... its on north east side of i75 n 951 ...........

Old 10-26-2018, 08:09 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,124,748 times
I had a system but was NOT on a well, so your needs may differ.

I used Kinetico for a whole house system as well as a RO system at the tap. Expensive but you may want to check them out as an option. Note that for the whole house system there were no filters to change, just media every 5 years or so. It was a 2 tank system that backwashed the media as needed. No electricity needed (less of an issue as you'll be powering a pump anyway) and pretty maintenance free.

I'm not as big a fan of their RO system. While it had many benefits, the one thing I didn't like was that you HAD to change the filters after 500 gallons of water - regardless of how much filtering it really did. For my current home I bought a 5 stage under sink system from Express Water (you can find them on Amazon as well I believe) for a really good price. That requires yearly filter changes.

Old 10-27-2018, 04:15 AM

92 posts, read 100,225 times
We are closing on a house in the estates on Monday, and negotiated that the builder put in a reverse osmosis system as I heard it would be better. I'll have to talk to him after closing to see what it all entails, will come back to this thread to update.

Old 10-28-2018, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAQUERO 45 View Post
call Coastal Pump in White Lake Industrial Park by the road that goes back there to dump. Ask for Richard ............... its on north east side of i75 n 951 ...........
absolutely I will....thank you

Old 10-28-2018, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
I had a system but was NOT on a well, so your needs may differ.

I used Kinetico for a whole house system as well as a RO system at the tap. Expensive but you may want to check them out as an option. Note that for the whole house system there were no filters to change, just media every 5 years or so. It was a 2 tank system that backwashed the media as needed. No electricity needed (less of an issue as you'll be powering a pump anyway) and pretty maintenance free.

I'm not as big a fan of their RO system. While it had many benefits, the one thing I didn't like was that you HAD to change the filters after 500 gallons of water - regardless of how much filtering it really did. For my current home I bought a 5 stage under sink system from Express Water (you can find them on Amazon as well I believe) for a really good price. That requires yearly filter changes.
Mark, thanks...I don't know If i can get by without the whole house system though
I need to talk to several experts about this, and then weight the options

....Kinetico is going to be on the list to go and talk too...thank you

Old 10-28-2018, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapshot1959 View Post
We are closing on a house in the estates on Monday, and negotiated that the builder put in a reverse osmosis system as I heard it would be better. I'll have to talk to him after closing to see what it all entails, will come back to this thread to update.
Thank slap!....I torn between buying and building right now...building might be the way we go too

Old 10-28-2018, 08:05 PM

7,106 posts, read 11,761,530 times
These are the kinds of questions I love, because y'all are far enough away that you know I'm NOT trying to sell you something. I've been doing this over 40 years, and really enjoy educating my customers.

Unless you have tested the water and shown iron to be present, it's not a concern. If it's under about .5 mg/l, your softener should be able to handle removing it. There's two ways to regenerate a residential water softener - salt and potassium chloride. You say you can't handle the salt - well, use the RO to control the salt if at all possible, because potassium chloride is VERY expensive (about 4-5 times that of salt) to use.

"Non electric" water softeners have two claims to fame - no electricity usage and a continuous supply of soft water. The electricity used is what's required to operate a night light....yeah, not much. The ONLY time a standard softener goes "off-line" is during the hour or so that it's regenerating - and it does THAT at 2 am in the morning (normally) - how many are up and using water at that time? But, if you just HAVE to have continuous soft water, looking at the Fleck 9000 control valve - twin alternating system, and again - uses about the same amount of electricity (actually a bit less) than a night light. I was actually trained to work on those other units, and frankly didn't care for them - lots of little gears to mess with for me, plus if you get a slug of air into the head, it causes it to go wacky. And the Fleck twin unit is about half the price of the other one.

Where possible, locate any home RO in the garage. If you look at them, there's a LOT of fittings there that will leak sooner or later. Better on a cement floor than in your kitchen cabinets! As noted, they DO require servicing, but I generally recommend a maximum 6-month interval to ensure you're not getting chlorine breakthrough.

Old 10-31-2018, 10:09 PM

92 posts, read 100,225 times
Took ownership of our new house on Monday, in the estates. We had the builder install a R/O system,
as we didn’t want that well water smell or quality. The tank is huge and kind of an eyesore on the side of the house as are all associated hardware and filters. I’ll have to camouflage it somehow down the road. As far as quality, it seems pretty good. We were having some issues with the pump and the tank not filling all the way for some unknown reason so we had no water for the most part of Tuesday.
Today all seemed fine, tank was completely full (500 gals) and plenty of water.
When we had the guy come out yesterday to see what was wrong if anything with the pump, he tested the water to show us how clean it was. First he tested a bottle of Aquafina purified water and got a .03 on his meter, then our water and got a .22 which on a scale of 1-50 is in a good drinking water range. So was happy about that.
So using the water just felt normal as far as quality, and am used to good water in Chicago.
Not a big water drinker so didn’t really have a chance to sample it, with moving in and unpacking was so darn busy the last couple days. Had to return back up north for work for a bit longer before I can move there full time so will report back on drinking quality in a few weeks. I’d think it would be fine though.

Old 10-31-2018, 11:17 PM

7,106 posts, read 11,761,530 times
".22" what? Sure hope that isn't mg/l (ppm) - you'll run the risk of doing real damage to any metal components in your water system. When I do whole-house units, I blend back tap water to the RO to get the TDS (total dissolved solids) to about 50 mg/l. That's generally the "target" for most bottled water companies for best overall taste, with enough minerals in it so that the leeching effect of the water is significantly reduced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples