Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2019, 10:57 AM

1,394 posts, read 2,069,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
The Port Royal story is pretty amazing. In 1955 you could have bought a spec home there for $22,000. Just imagine....that's around $200K today. Can't even get a decent condo for that price in Naples anymore much less waterfront anything.

When I moved here in '87, PR was going through a transformation.

There were a few mega mansions in there, but the vast majority of the homes were 60's and '70's, 2000-3000 sq ft FL style ranch homes. The going rate for vacant lots at the time was $1M. The going rate for existing homes on the lots next door was $1M, because the teardown craze had started.

If the teardown craze had waited 15 years, I could've actually bought a house in Port Royal!

Waterfront in Marco was very reasonable until the last boom, but it was still Marco......

Like most waterfront that isn't on the beach in FL, PR, Aqualane Shores, Royal Harbor etc. were all "dredge and fill" communities. From an ecological perspective, Cape Coral was one of the worst, as is Marco Is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2019, 01:27 PM

1,333 posts, read 2,172,209 times
If all you care about is beach access and boating, the values in Marco Island are quite good for the Naples area all things considered.

It's somewhat remote and you are far removed from the shopping/restaurants in Naples but not any worse than living in GGE plus instead of living in the everglades you are living on an island with gulf access. There are water lots available to build on under $400k. Even assuming $200 sq ft construction costs, you are under $1M all in for a brand new home If you don't go too crazy with upgrades/size.

Old 03-08-2019, 02:55 PM

603 posts, read 434,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naplesfan View Post
Maybe this will change your mind.

Rip rap seawalls have many advantages. First they attract sea life and allow more natural water permeation. Better fishing and crabbing. They require far less maintenance and the costs involved in concrete repair are high.

I'm currently looking at a rental property with seawall problems. The repair costs are around $450 a linear foot. They can run as high as $1200 to $1500 a linear foot Hurricanes are hard on concrete seawalls and as they age they have a tendency to undercut. Rip rap doesn't have those problems.

If you have kids or dogs concrete seawalls represent a hazard.

Naplesfan

They have one disadvantage....
They are hideously ugly and make the neighbourhood hideously ugly.

I don’t care about crabs or concrete or paying for maintenance if it avoids ugly.

If we had have bought the house in Spyglass lane we really liked ... it was lovely but every day I would have looked out to see UGLY.

Old 03-08-2019, 03:07 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,098,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taksan View Post
They have one disadvantage....
They are hideously ugly and make the neighbourhood hideously ugly.

I don’t care about crabs or concrete or paying for maintenance if it avoids ugly.

If we had have bought the house in Spyglass lane we really liked ... it was lovely but every day I would have looked out to see UGLY.
Then your only option really is Gulf Shore Blvd south of The Moorings I imagine.

Old 03-08-2019, 03:15 PM

603 posts, read 434,164 times
Quote:
Then your only option really is Gulf Shore Blvd south of The Moorings I imagine.
We actually bought a lakefront property in Pine Ridge... very happy with it. I love the area so convenient to everything.

Old 03-09-2019, 01:10 PM

3,417 posts, read 7,752,255 times
Quote:
Thanks for posting my video!

Hard to believe that was done 9 years ago.

Old 03-09-2019, 01:24 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,098,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMD3819 View Post
Thanks for posting my video!

Hard to believe that was done 9 years ago.
I wish that software was still available.

Old 03-11-2019, 07:51 PM

112 posts, read 257,778 times
Default Hello.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moopy70 View Post
Thanks, I appreciate the advice. I realize Naples isn't the best area, but wanted to get an idea. I probably don't need to make as much as I do in CA, so that's a positive.

It's my opinion that if you NET at least $55K/yr you'll have no problem affording a good comfortable life with little to no financial stress. It can be done on less, but quality of life will be affected. As for quality jobs in SWFL, they do exist. Just depends on the industry your in. Tourism and retail are obviously the largest job sectors especially for coastal Florida towns. But other sectors that have a sizable job demand are medical, legal, insurance, financial and even tech. The tech jobs are almost exclusively IT department style jobs. If your profession is a trade (plumbing, electrical, construction, etc) you'll do very well so long as you're a hustler. There's a TON of competition in trade work down here. Not sure if you mentioned if you were going to rent or own your home, but if you rent I strongly recommend you don't go cheap. It's was my experience when I first moved here and had to rent that you absolutely get what you pay for. A high quality 2 bedroom apartment will go for between $1,700-$1,900 and a quality rental home will go for $2,500+. There are cheaper places, but in my opinion they're more hassle then they're saving you. My last tip is to remember to calm down and breathe during season (Sept-June). You'll understand once you get here and experience it.

Old 03-12-2019, 11:09 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,199,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tothehilt View Post
It's my opinion that if you NET at least $55K/yr you'll have no problem affording a good comfortable life with little to no financial stress. It can be done on less, but quality of life will be affected. As for quality jobs in SWFL, they do exist. Just depends on the industry your in. Tourism and retail are obviously the largest job sectors especially for coastal Florida towns. But other sectors that have a sizable job demand are medical, legal, insurance, financial and even tech. The tech jobs are almost exclusively IT department style jobs. If your profession is a trade (plumbing, electrical, construction, etc) you'll do very well so long as you're a hustler. There's a TON of competition in trade work down here. Not sure if you mentioned if you were going to rent or own your home, but if you rent I strongly recommend you don't go cheap. It's was my experience when I first moved here and had to rent that you absolutely get what you pay for. A high quality 2 bedroom apartment will go for between $1,700-$1,900 and a quality rental home will go for $2,500+. There are cheaper places, but in my opinion they're more hassle then they're saving you. My last tip is to remember to calm down and breathe during season (Sept-June). You'll understand once you get here and experience it.
So basically the entire year is now season?

Old 03-12-2019, 11:33 AM

1,394 posts, read 2,069,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPrzybylski07 View Post
So basically the entire year is now season?
Pretty much........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples