Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2019, 02:36 PM

390 posts, read 396,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjwoll View Post
I do think I've got a better grasp on what it is like with the age of the population and such now.
I agree with the others. Based on your budget and the ages of your children, you'd be better suited to look in the Fort Myers and/or Cape Coral areas if you need to be close to a fencing program. You'd not be much better off in Punta Gorda as it is not any younger than Naples and puts you that much further from fencing opportunities. North Port and Port Charlotte do have a younger population and there's a lot of growth and decent housing costs but you're still going to be far from some of the fencing programs offered by larger cities. As such, you might want to consider even further north. You can find still find some decent deals in your budget in the Bradenton and Lakewood Ranch areas which will put you closer to Tampa which has a couple of fencing programs (if you desire to live outside the immediate Tampa metro area). Tampa itself might also be a good option for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2019, 08:48 AM

192 posts, read 178,616 times
There's a fencing club and facility in Naples. I think it's Naples Fencing Academy.

Naplesfan

Old 05-01-2019, 09:39 PM

86 posts, read 72,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naplesfan View Post
There's a fencing club and facility in Naples. I think it's Naples Fencing Academy.

Naplesfan
I saw that which was one factor that stood out as a positive. I'm not sure if they have advanced Sabre, but still good to see something.

People say Naples caters to the older population. Do they by chance keep stores/restaurants warmer with the air conditioning temperature because so many people are old? Seems a strange question I'm sure, but health is the only reason for considering leaving an area we really like and a home/neighborhood we love.

Thank you

Old 05-01-2019, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Middleton View Post
Punta Gorda doesn't compare to Naples what so ever. You're comparing apples to oranges. Like comparing Ft Lauderdale to Stuart because they are both on the East Coast of Florida.

Naples, especially North Naples, will be excellent for your family and $350k will get you a nice 2000 sq ft townhome with a garage in a great school district.

Does the population increase for season? yes of course, as it does all over Florida in the winter. Get used to that, its not a huge deal. Its not like the snow birds work 9-5 so 'traffic' at 5pm isn't miserable like it is in most parts of working-Florida (I.e Orlando, Tampa, Miami, Ft Lauderdale, Jax).

Very clean city too, they do a great job of keeping it beautiful. Lots of top notch shopping, outdoor shopping, affordable but awesome grocery stores like Lucky's (just opened a 2nd with a 3rd coming to North Naples) and ALDI, to go along with a dozen publix's and a whole foods. Tons of golf, beach stuff, water activities, pickleball, tennis, swimming, outdoor parks, etc.
Mark,
I've seen several posts by you and appreciate your thoughts. My son asked me tonight if it is possible Punta Gorda is not a very nice kind of area. Not to sound like we are upper crust and that it wouldn't be perfect for some folks, but we live in one of the wealthiest counties in the country. We are budget living folks...debt free Larry Burkett/Dave Ramsey kind of choices...We prefer used over new with cars, clothes...but, the standard of facilities and selection we have here we'd ideally want to keep, if that makes sense. A clean area, good roads, things aren't generally in disrepair...Is that where you are coming from with apple's and oranges? We don't need community events or an active night life, but run down is not our speed if we can choose.
Thank you for any thoughts there with regard to area suggestions.
Jjwoll

Old 05-02-2019, 04:50 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,232,217 times
Quote:
I saw that which was one factor that stood out as a positive. I'm not sure if they have advanced Sabre, but still good to see something.

People say Naples caters to the older population. Do they by chance keep stores/restaurants warmer with the air conditioning temperature because so many people are old? Seems a strange question I'm sure, but health is the only reason for considering leaving an area we really like and a home/neighborhood we love.

Thank you
I’ve never seen that - usually the AC is still cranked pretty cold and the older folks just bundle up.

Or for some restaurants with outdoor seating they will sit outside.

If you haven’t visited yet I suggest coming down and spending a week.

Old 05-02-2019, 12:20 PM

390 posts, read 396,922 times
Quote:
My son asked me tonight if it is possible Punta Gorda is not a very nice kind of area.
Punta Gorda is actually a very nice area and very well-kept. If you're looking to avoid certain areas in SWFL, that would be more parts of Lehigh Acres, Immokalee, and certainly sections of Naples and Fort Myers. As Mark said, it would be beneficial for you to pay a visit to get a better understanding of the different areas. Driving through certain areas generally makes it easy enough to gauge whether that's a place you want to live or not.

Quote:
Is that where you are coming from with apple's and oranges?
I think Mark is referring to the fact that they are two ENTIRELY different cities. Naples is a much bigger city. It has a lot of chain retail and dining options that aren't offered elsewhere in the immediate area. Closest options outside of Naples would be to head to Miami. A little further north you have those options in Sarasota and then Tampa, then Orlando. There is a mall in Naples. There are expansive beaches with multi-million dollar homes backing up to them. You don't have those things in Punta Gorda. It's a small town. That's why you can't directly compare the two.

Punta Gorda videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K48UozQn_Jo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9cHriZR0sU

Note: A/C will still be cold in most places so always bring a light jacket or sweater for those people who get cold in A/C, similar to what you find in Las Vegas.

Last edited by FLKitties; 05-02-2019 at 12:22 PM.. Reason: Added note about A/C

Old 05-03-2019, 09:39 PM

Thanks everyone!

Old 05-04-2019, 12:09 PM

2,128 posts, read 2,353,654 times
Quote:
A clean area, good roads, things aren't generally in disrepair...Is that where you are coming from with apple's and oranges? We don't need community events or an active night life, but run down is not our speed if we can choose.
You really have to just come down and drive through it..it won't take you long to get through Punta Gorda :-) Cute little downtown on the water, that's about it.

If you want to hit up some nice outdoor malls, eat at lots of restaurants, charge your Tesla, go to lots of parks/golf courses, be close to marco island, 1hr 40 min drive to Ft Lauderdale, etc. Then Naples is for you..Very clean city too :-)

Old 05-07-2019, 08:12 AM

Default Thank you!

Thanks so much everyone!

Old 05-07-2019, 07:10 PM

536 posts, read 1,538,058 times
You could consider Pensacola. It's in the Panhandle part of Florida. It's basically a military town close to other states. I have no idea whether there's a fencing academy but considering it's a military town, it probably does. I've been there once many years ago and had a favorable impression. Orlando....I was there as a kid so I really don't remember much about it other than I know it's where Disney World is at. I know housing is rather cheap there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples