Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2019, 05:39 AM

1 posts, read 2,756 times

Advertisements

Need some advise from locals, we are currently looking at houses in Bonita Springs and Naples. What areas would you recommend to avoid or look at? We are a couple in our late 30s with a Teenager. Budget is in the 350k to 450k range and prefer new or newer construction. My husband will be working in the Industrial park in Naples.

We found a house we liked, Off of Matheson Ave in Bonita but the surrounding streets seem to be hit or miss. Is this a bad area? It’s near Imperil Parkway and pretty close to downtown Bonita. We’ve also looked at Golden Gate Estates and not sure that will be the right fit for us. We are planning to look more today so any advice would be appreciated from those with more insight. We have a realtor, but would like advice from those with no interest in the transaction.

Last edited by Relocating15; 07-29-2019 at 05:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2019, 05:52 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,214,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relocating15 View Post
Need some advise from locals, we are currently looking at houses in Bonita Springs and Naples. What areas would you recommend to avoid or look at? We are a couple in our late 30s with a Teenager. Budget is in the 350k to 450k range and prefer new or newer construction. My husband will be working in the Industrial park in Naples.

We found a house we liked, Off of Mathewson Ave in Bonita but the surrounding streets seem to be hit or miss. Is this a bad area? It’s near Imperil Parkway and pretty close to downtown Bonita. We’ve also looked at Golden Gate Estates and not sure that will be the right fit for us. We are planning to look more today so any advice would be appreciated from those with more insight. We have a realtor, but would like advice from those with no interest in the transaction.
How funny since the realtor has their own agenda and bias you feel the need to reach and get more opinions. Nothing wrong with getting more opinions I guess but nobody knows what’s best for you expect you and your husband. Is a shorter commute more important, do you prefer cookie cutters communities, etc? You said you prefer newer construction so there you go.

It’s like everyone wants other people to do their thinking for them on the internet. You’ll never gain a good sense of the area on here.

Here this is coming from a realtor myself, consider renting for a year before making a commitment so you can take your time. There’s something your biased realtor won’t tell you.

Old 07-29-2019, 06:38 AM

788 posts, read 783,933 times
Very good advise was given . Learn the area's you have an interest in better by renting so any purchase can can be well thought out . Look into area's of bonita that flooded in the past and check into flood insurance if you decide thats were you want to live . A few years back after a tropicalolder sections of bonita were rather wet

Old 07-29-2019, 09:45 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,235,091 times
If you’re new to the area I also suggest renting for a year. Schools are generally better in Collier over Lee County, and I’m assuming your teenager is in High School. How many square feet are you looking for? Community amenities?

Old 07-29-2019, 02:59 PM

80 posts, read 61,449 times
I'd choose Naples (Collier County) over Bonita Springs (Lee County) all day. I also second the idea of renting for the first year in order to find what areas of Naples you like best.

If I had to choose an area though within your price range, I would recommend the communities and homes around Orange Blossom Drive (in between Vanderbilt Beach Rd and Pine Ridge Rd). Always loved that area and not far from the Industrial Park. I'd also look at the Vineyards communities.

Good luck

Old 07-29-2019, 03:09 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,235,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arekusu View Post
I'd choose Naples (Collier County) over Bonita Springs (Lee County) all day. I also second the idea of renting for the first year in order to find what areas of Naples you like best.

If I had to choose an area though within your price range, I would recommend the communities and homes around Orange Blossom Drive (in between Vanderbilt Beach Rd and Pine Ridge Rd). Always loved that area and not far from the Industrial Park. I'd also look at the Vineyards communities.

Good luck
I agree - one is zoned for Barron Collier HS, the other Gulf Coast. Those are the 2 that I would recommend if not considering private school.

Old 07-29-2019, 03:14 PM

1,624 posts, read 1,706,945 times
Bonita Springs is a bit of a drive from everything in Naples, especially downtown. In season, be prepared to spend a long time getting to and from work. Not much up there IMO (I lived in Riverstone for 5 years). Plus, you are in Lee vs Collier County, property taxes are higher.

Beware high HOA fees. I would rent for a while to make sure you like living in SW Florida year round. Summers are long and very humid.

I assume good deals on resale houses are still happening. Also beware new construction and all the expenses that happen after closing.

Old 07-30-2019, 07:58 AM

790 posts, read 503,977 times
Excellent advise here. If you do buy new construction either now or after renting, don't over improve thinking you'll be there for the next 10 years. Plans change and it will be almost impossible to recoup your investment. In my case we rented before buying. Purchased a resale in a community we loved but after 3 years decided we would be happier living in a different part of town. We made some minor improvements to the house and was able to break even on the sale. Then bought new construction and most definitely customized it but didnt go overboard.

Old 07-30-2019, 03:49 PM

2,128 posts, read 2,354,286 times
Bonita has a great, brand new high school that just opened, so the 'lee schools vs collier schools' doesn't really apply much now (unless something happens to this new school over the years.).

Bonita is an excellent value right now, lots of great homes in the $400k range in awesome communities.

The area around the 'downtown' obviously isn't as nice'. Stick to West of uS-41 and you'll be loving life (Pelican or Bonita Bay) or anything near the estero border by Coconut Pointe is great.

We live in East Bonita, on the otherside of i-75 and we love it. You can get a big 4 bedroom townhome in Village Walk for $300k or less and have tons of amenities. They are opening a Logan Blvd extension in 6 months and then you can take a straight shot to North Naples by the new Sprouts grocery store plaza, not far from the Target plaza. Starbucks just opened off i-75 /Bonita Beach Rd, they usually are the 'barometer' for new neighborhoods. In 10 years, the area will be completely different.

I like the neighborhoods Off Imperial, just be aware of i-75 road noise. But its very convenient to the new high school and getting to Bonita Beach Road or Corkscrew Rd or Coconut Pointe.
Also, ShadowWood is a gorgeous community, not sure if that's in your budget? Its practically Estero but in the 'greater' bonita area.

Spanish Wells is a nice option too with some great golfing!

If your realtor is very familiar with Bonita/long time resident, they will know the ins and outs of the communities better. (CDD Fees? hOA Fees? Bundled Golf/Reciprocal, etc.) If they don't, maybe change agents

Old 07-31-2019, 12:49 PM

731 posts, read 767,201 times
I know you wanted a newer home, but what about Island Walk? What you see is what you get. No waiting to see how the landscaping will fill in, no mystery about how fees will go up when the builder leaves, etc. Nice community mix of retirees and families. 450 would get you a pool home with a view of the water with a 2 car garage. Reasonable HOA fees, nice facilities, off of Vanderbilt Beach Road in North Naples. Sounds like it may be a good fit for your family.

I'm in the Vineyards and love it! If you look at homes in there, be sure to move into a community with families and kids. Lots of retiree communities here.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples